A-S warrior

aspergers and animals.

is it just me, or do pepole with aspegers get on really well with animals? i gues its because there uncomplicated and easy going, and thats what asperger pepole are seeking. i could just be my immagination of course. a gal i know with aspergers loves horses, my father who i think has it, loves fish, and has 3 marine tanks and a fresh water tank. my sister again who i think has it, loves tiny dogs and horses. and i like scorpions, tarantulas, etc etc etc. (i just dont like arogant cats that think there better than me) i see a pattern between aspergers and animals, and they seem to work hand in hand, like peanut butter and chocolate, or lager and lime, or apple and cinammon.

pointless post but hey! gets me closer to everest.

anyway what do you think?

btw, do i need a new profile picture? or does the sword suit me?

Well I don't know what Id put it down to but my son has never had any fear of animals, even big ones with sharp teeth.(at zoos etc) When he was smaller we always had to make sure he didn't try to get to friendly.

I've always felt more relaxed around animals than I do around most people. I think it's because humans so often have a hidden agenda in their dealings with others and animals don't. With an animal it's out in the open.

I don't think it's related in the slightest. Some people like animals, some don't, some of them have AS some don't.

~ Mel ~

I don't think it's related in the slightest. Some people like animals, some don't, some of them have AS some don't.

~ Mel ~

lol you diddnt have to sandbag my theory there mel, just an i dont agree would of done. :police:

Hi - my daughter is fine with animals that are quiet or careful - although she is petrified of anything that runs, is noisy or is fast or flighty around her.

Take care,

x

Well it does depend on what kind of animal you're referring to!!!

I love cats and dogs...and fish.

But you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a wolf spider...not in a million years LOL!

My son used to hurt his sister (this story is gettng boring, I know) relentlessly. She began crying silently and. as far as we could assess, began behaving like an abused child (crying, tearful, clingy). We were pretty desperate, but then we stayed on a farm with animals and we noticed that Ehs didn't hurt her when he was around the animals. We bought a golden labrador pup in September 2010, and that day the hurting stopped. Ehs had a new interest, and they continue to have a very strong bond. She knows to lick his face if he's distressed and she doesn't object to his all-consuming hugs. My eldest son, Jav, has a real thing going with cats, even ones that are wary of other people.

So, my experiences lead me to believe that there can be something particularly special between animals and people with ASD, although I know that it is not always the case.

I however hate insects moths, spiders I scream

moths i hate, spiders i like. espeshilly those big tegenaira duellcias, the ones that are hairy and have the massive legs and run out from under the sofa, haha they scare the living daylights out of pepole, all they have to do is walk out.

Walk?? Teggie's never walk...they creep...they see...they chase!!!!

No seriously - I was sat bare footed one day and I saw one suddenly in the corner not far from my feet. I was going to hit it but it actually dashed towards my feet and I had to really move and then had to take the room apart to find it again when it disappeared under my desk!

While Teggie's aren't poisonous they can bite and crawl up ones leg etc etc... They also have incredibly good eyesight and when cornered can be quite aggressive. Just be sure to wear gloves if you do want to pick one up.

P.S. Click on the link above if you want to see one up close.

Edited by Mike_GX101

I have a total arachnophobia - spiders really freak me out.... but... they are so fascinating at the same time, so brilliant and some are pretty nice looking!!!!

Yeah, I'm just full of opposites :P

Walk?? Teggie's never walk...they creep...they see...they chase!!!!

No seriously - I was sat bare footed one day and I saw one suddenly in the corner not far from my feet. I was going to hit it but it actually dashed towards my feet and I had to really move and then had to take the room apart to find it again when it disappeared under my desk!

While Teggie's aren't poisonous they can bite and crawl up ones leg etc etc... They also have incredibly good eyesight and when cornered can be quite aggressive. Just be sure to wear gloves if you do want to pick one up.

P.S. Click on the link above if you want to see one up close.

love this post, i cant wait till october! im like a 4 year old at christmas when i see one, i just have to run and grab a camera and get a snap shot. your right though they are very very fast, you have to be on your toes if you want to get a good picture, they dont hang around for long.

(i sound like stevie irwin) r.i.p.

I liked Steve Irwin - usually don't care about stuff like celeb deaths in the main - but I did think his was a real shame and a loss cuz he was so funny and informative and pretty intelligent and driven about animals and conservation and stuff but he never seemed preachy, he just seemed down to earth and was great to watch when he did things like prod something and then had to leap in a tree :lol: and the croc wrestling :)

I liked Steve Irwin - usually don't care about stuff like celeb deaths in the main - but I did think his was a real shame and a loss cuz he was so funny and informative and pretty intelligent and driven about animals and conservation and stuff but he never seemed preachy, he just seemed down to earth and was great to watch when he did things like prod something and then had to leap in a tree :lol: and the croc wrestling :)

the worlds just not the same without that crazy ###### lol

First of all, yes, the world is not the same without him.

Secondly AAAAAAARGHHHHHH I have just sat here silently screaming at the bleeding video clip :o

I read somewhere that Hunstmen spiders cause quite a few car crashes - I swear I would totally freak right the ###### out if one of those appeared in the ###### car - and I'd probably crash...

There's a random film called Nothing to lose - that has a funny spider sequence in it that made me nearly die with laughing the first time i saw it - although it's better in the context of the film cuz they don't like each and Lawrence has supposedly taken Robbins hostage except it all goes wrong... anyway kinda need to say the following first

WARNING OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE

Edited by darkshine

I have always had a natural affinity with animals, cats in the street come up to me and dogs always want to play when they see me and I am told when I was a kid, the local vicious collie everyone was scared of because it was kind of grumpy took to me and totally changed around me, but if anyone approached it went mental at them. I seem to have the same effect with kids as well especially babies, where my ex used to remark that babies saw me and burst out laughing, she used say stuff like that baby is smiling at you, look, and my answer was to that I know that is why I am not looking at it, ignore it, don't lead it on.

Oh yeah and spiders, I was scared of them for a long time, not overly fond of them now, but at least now I can allow them to set up home on my ceiling as they do sort out the flying insect issue and one's lower down I can overcome the urge to splatter them into oblivion.

But of spiders, the local spider expert tells us there is a new spider on the block a big black thing with five centimeters leg circle diameter and it bites, and yes we have all seen the photos of it and it is not the false widow spider, that thing comes near me and I have my electric tennis raquet fly swat which is fab for setting fire to cockchafers, the nasty May bug that gets stuck in long hair.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Are the dogs golden retrievers? I'm not sure cuz their backs are turned and they are quite pale - they look like they are enjoying that water though :)

Although I asked the question - I'd actually struggle to say what my favourite animal is.... possibly Ravens...

Aw, Isobel, love, love, love your dogs. When I get around to it I'll post a photo of Lola. She's the same colour as your two and she really does destress Ehs.

Are the dogs golden retrievers? I'm not sure cuz their backs are turned and they are quite pale - they look like they are enjoying that water though :)

Although I asked the question - I'd actually struggle to say what my favourite animal is.... possibly Ravens...

my favorate are dinosaurs

DS won't go near any animals, he is terrified of even the smallest most innocuous beastie.

Yep, they are pale golden retrievers. Amber the younger one is a bit like me in that she doesn't like thunder or fireworks either.

Aw, Isobel, love, love, love your dogs. When I get around to it I'll post a photo of Lola. She's the same colour as your two and she really does destress Ehs.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to have my older one Bonnie as a proper emotional assistance dog and take her to work.