robert7111a

Really dumb question

Click on "Quote" at the bottom right hand side of the post.

If you want to edit the quote make sure that you don't remove the quote bits in brackets at the start and finish of the quote or you lose who the quote was from.

If you want to see what it will look like before you post it click on "More Reply Options" for a preview.

Edited by chris54

PS - That sort of question is not dumb - it is good - it is a question for the purpose of gaining knowledge and that's a good thing to do - it would be dumb not to ask :)

Thanks Darkshine...I'm sure I clicked on "quote" but tried again after highlighting the text. Thanks for the explanation/link...will try it when the chance arises :)

Click on "Quote" at the bottom right hand side of the post.

If you want to see what it will look like before you post it click on "More Reply Options" for a preview.

Thanks Darkshine/Chris54

Don't ya just hate it when a link fails (I know I do!!) :angry::lol:

You're welcome Robert - I haven't read all of those helps files myself - I'm one of those kinds of people who refuse to read a manual most of the time - unless I get totally stuck - stubborn would be a good describing word I guess :lol: hope that it is of some use anyway - if anything else crops up just give us a shout :)

Can you do old fashioned ones? Like the following:

; ) Wink

: ) Small smile

: D Big smile or grin

: ( Unhappy

: / Annoyed

Usually there isn't a space between these characters but I had to put one or the forum auto turns them into the forum smileys

You know the rest of the forum emoticons/smileys are all words? For example (a couple of words that aren't logged in the forum's base)

:shout:

:sigh:

They all have a colon at the beginning and end like that.

The real words are things like

star fight gather rolleyes unsure huh (with a colon at the start of the word and end with no spaces) which then come up like :star::fight: etc... does it work that way or does your pc just prevent it?

I guess a clearer way of saying what I mean is can you do them like the first idea?

AND

Can you do them like the second method even if you don't see them until you post?

OR

Does your pc prevent you from doing so with both methods? :)

The only ones I would remember (and use the most) are

LOL

ROFL

WTF?

OMG!

IMO

IMHO

and that's about it. But it's nice to have a kind of dictionary on here to look things up if needed but I would probably be too lazy to use it

Um, I'm not up on all this lingo Darkshine so I'm most grateful and will find a way to "sticky" your post.

i had a thread that got sticked on another forum, as soon as its stickied pepole stop reading it for some reason.

I only read it once, but I seem to have a good memory for the stupid internet and text abbreviations - its funny cuz I often write my text messages (on my ancient mobile phone) in full even though I know how to write it in "text speak shorthand" :lol: I think the word "cuz" is my laziest word that gets used the most often, even though I know full well I should say because or 'cause - hardly a major offence though :D

I only read it once, but I seem to have a good memory for the stupid internet and text abbreviations - its funny cuz I often write my text messages (on my ancient mobile phone) in full even though I know how to write it in "text speak shorthand" :lol: I think the word "cuz" is my laziest word that gets used the most often, even though I know full well I should say because or 'cause - hardly a major offence though :D

djfgjtmbnaytriwpospyufbsgfkjrlytnamjn????!!!!!!