Canopus

Parents abandoning religion because of ASD

I don't have any theories, or philosophies or reason not to believe in a god. But I have no reason to believe in a god. I see nothing, I feel nothing that gives me any reason to believe in a God or Gods.

One question which I have never had a satisfactory answered to is what did God do before time began, before Genesis.

One question which I have never had a satisfactory answered to is what did God do before time began, before Genesis.

That is an example of something that is simply not a question for a Mathematician or Physicist. The human perception is that time is linear, but we now know that is not the case. The trendy "String Theory" suggests that the universe has at least 10 space-time dimensions

The question as to "what God did before time began" is about the same as "what happened before the Big Bang". The idea of the universe existing for an infinite time before the big bang is clearly impossible. it becomes no easier or harder to comprehend if you put God into it.

Time is no more than another dimension - one in which at present we are compelled to move in a just one direction at a pretty constant rate - but that does not preclude the possibility of things that are not constrained by time.

Ultimately the existence of God is a matter of morality/philosophy rather than physics. Almost everyone (except those who don't think at all) has a philosophy/world-view that guides their view of the world and the decisions they take. Fundamentally ALL are a matter of faith and to say one is an atheist is just as much a statement of faith/belief as to say one is a Christian - or adherent of any other religion. Also to pretend any one is more "rational" than another is pretty much a matter of conceit.

say one is an atheist is just as much a statement of faith/belief as to say one is a Christian - or adherent of any other religion.

The very reason that I do not call myself an Atheist.

I do not believe in any reason for our existences, we are because we are. As (I my opinion) there is no reason, it follows that there are no answers as there are no questions (Why).

(The question "What did God do before Geneses" is realy one for Creationists)

Edited by chris54

The very reason that I do not call myself an Atheist.

I do not believe in any reason for our existences, we are because we are. As (I my opinion) there is no reason, it follows that there are no answers as there are no questions (Why).

Whether you call yourself an Atheist or not, your statement is just as much a statement of belief as to say you do believe in God. Many people would say that to believe that we exist purely by chance requires a much greater leap of faith than to believe in God - particularly those who understand just how "lucky" we are that the fundamental physical constants just happen to work for life.

Well I believe that green paint is green, I believe the when it rains I will get wet. So yes I believe.

And apparently I also believe in luck.

Edited by chris54

Well I belief that green paint is green, I believe the when it rains I will get wet. So yes I believe.

And apparently I also believe in luck.

You can observe that green paint is green (in fact that is true by definition) and that rain is wet.

Belief really covers those things that you can't see/prove.

So I believe that Julius Caeser existed, I believe that the Big Bang happened and so on....

Note religion also has the concept of "faith" that goes beyond belief - but that is a different issue.

Lots of people believe in luck - that is why so many people buy lottery tickets....

Alright then so I not a believer after all, Im a Knower.

Julius Caesar's existence is a proven fact.

Edited by chris54

Julius Caesar's existence is a proven fact.

Only it you've met him personally - and I doubt if you are that old.

You are relying on the evidence of others - and you choose to believe that evidence.

There are several eye-witness records of the resurrection of Jesus (or the existence of aliens, or of ghosts) and you choose not to believe those.

We only really "know" very little - for almost everything else we rely on the evidence of others, and the way we interpret that evidence reflects our belief system/religiion.

Actually I do believe the accounts of the "resurrection" of Jesus to be credible. It was not unknown for people to survive Crucifixion, and where he apparently suffered additional injuries, he may well have survived.

And just as by Luck we come about, why would I question that that same Luck has not strike some where else and maybe many times.

I know people Who say they have experienced the presence of the departed, I believe (There I go again) that to them it was real.

Edited by chris54

Where most atheist (or humanist) arguments fall down is that they start from the premise that human understanding is supreme and so of course they cannot comprehend anything beyond their own understanding.

My experience of strong rationalists is that they dislike venturing outside of the territory of the known into the unknown.

Creationism is one thing. The book of Genesis is another.

And how many well off "Christan's" don't give to charity. I know plenty. How many of our politicians who were steeling money off of us would call themselves Christians.

Don't go down the road of thinking that having religion makes you a good person and not having it make you bad because that is just not true.

I would be more inclined to believe the god believers in government were actually satanists because of what satanism promises it's adherents, wealth and power which we all know they are quite fond of, so not an illogical assumption.

With my ASD diagnosis came the dissolution of my old beliefs, I felt more sure of myself and started to follow Zen Buddhism and the Gaia Hypothesis to improve myself and understand my place in the world of nature, the nature we can see and feel not possibles and maybe's

Actually I do believe the accounts of the "resurrection" of Jesus to be credible. It was not unknown for people to survive Crucifixion, and where he apparently suffered additional injuries, he may well have survived.

And just as by Luck we come about, why would I question that that same Luck has not strike some where else and maybe many times.

I know people Who say they have experienced the presence of the departed, I believe (There I go again) that to them it was real.

By all accounts Jesus was not on the cross long enough to die, that being he was not resurrected but went on to live elsewhere, Of course the church will not entertain this theory, because the resurrection is the very corner stone of Christianity. Where did he go, well there is evidence he went to Kashmir and even a grave aligned east/west with a description of the occupant to describe the feet and hands bearing scarring from being pierced through.

I have a religious belief,but not one i push on my children,Iwas annoyed by one religious person who thought my person and people like him can be cured by some great miracle,no matter how much i tried to explain he is better because he has matured and supported in his autism and that it will always be with him ,this person would not accept my personal knowledge on why my person was much better than he was when he was 5 years old.He sees the miracle of devine intervention as a explaination.

If you believe in god and believe god made humanity, then it stands god made aspies in full confidence as does god make mistakes ?

As to why god put aspies amongst his creations, well the human race has got this far and far before the advent of psychology, so the aspies have always been there contributing to society most likely totally unaware there is anything wrong with them.

I understand the psychological need to classify different types of thinking to understand humanity does not always get it right and I often think psychology itself is AS because it seems to lack much of the properties psychology itself says AS individuals lack.