Tally

Busy Day!

I'm feeling smug and pleased with myself after getting so much done today.

In a couple of weeks' time we're having an open day at the wildlife rescue centre where I volunteer. My cousin is coming to stay and we're going to spend the Saturday making 100 chocolate muffins and 100 bird nest cakes. This has necessitated the purchase of 45 shredded wheat, a kilo of butter, half a kilo of chocolate, etc. and this morning my dad took me shopping and I got all my supplies.

Then I got the lawn mowed and some washing dry before the rain came. Then I cleaned out the dead leaves from the garage.

After that I went and made some strawberry creams. They need to be made ahead of time as they need to dry out and harden before bagging for the open day. I emptied the airing cupboard, my sheets and towels are going to have to live on my bedroom windowsill for a couple of weeks. The strawberry creams are looking great already and my airing cupboard smells awesome!

Although it was only 11.30am I was ravenous so I cooked myself a big prawn curry for lunch and froze some portions for days I'm not up to cooking.

Then I discovered it was actually 2.30pm and my watch had stopped. I couldn't find my nice spare, so I'm wearing an ugly luminous green one I bought only for swimming because it was waterproof. But at least it will keep time until after the holiday.

This afternoon I have filled the other shelf in the airing cupboard with orange creams. I am ahead of schedule now and have only lemon and peppermint to go!

I never did get around to cleaning my car after parking under the sticky tree, but now it's raining so hopefully it will wash the dirt off for me. And yes, I even remembered to bring in the washing before it rained!

After all this I think I will sleep well tonight and be in top form for seeing the Queen tomorrow. I'm going to be on Waterloo Bridge, dressed in red, white and blue, soaking wet, freezing cold, eating a pork pie. But it's something to tell the grandchildren, right?

Edited by Tally

Peppermint creams are really easy. Whip up an egg white until it's frothy but not too firm. Then gradually add as much icing sugar as you can (about 300g). Add a couple of drops of peppermint essence before the mix gets too stiff to mix. You can substitute peppermint for any flavour you like, orange or lemOn are pretty good. You can also add dye at this stage if you wish.

You can either shape pieces by hand, or roll it out and cut with pastry cutters. Don't forget to coat everything with plenty of icing sugar to prevent sticking. If your mix becomes too dry you can add a drop of water.

Place your creams onto greaseproof paper, also well coated with icing sugar, in a warm dry place to dry out for a few days.

Then hoover and wipe your worktops as there will be icing sugar everywhere! Washing hair may also be necessary.

After all this I think I will sleep well tonight and be in top form for seeing the Queen tomorrow. I'm going to be on Waterloo Bridge, dressed in red, white and blue, soaking wet, freezing cold, eating a pork pie. But it's something to tell the grandchildren, right?

Better on Waterloo Bridge than under London Bridge, I guess.