smileyK

Bad panic attack!!! :(

Had bad panic attack walking to the gym today my hands were tingly like pins and needles couldn't catch my breath was still like that at gym for little while scared me! Dont know why it happened come out of nowhere really felt like bursting into tears! Anxiety suddenly gripped me suddenly! :(

Smiley based on my experience of panic attacks you need to work your way back through the day or even the week and see what your background state of mind was which is just as important as any trigger.

I think you alos need to keep things in perspective about the level of this attack. From your post it seems as if you managed to get control of the sensations, then go to the gym and carry on with your day as you intended. In so many ways I hope this is the most severe panick attack you have experienced in your life because I would say if it is then you have a good chance of this not developing into a major issue in your life. I am not in any way trying to dismiss your eppisode, but a bad panic attack for me and others would almost certainly have involved a period of a few minutes of being out of control in respect to heart rate, breathing, motor control, not being able to control bladder function for example and wetting myself etc... this invairably leads to someone calling an ambulance and me ending up on an ECG machine for a few hours trying to convince the doctors that it was a panic attack and can I please go home so I can curl up under my duvet and sleep for a good few hours while my body gets back in sync.

I am saying this Smiley to say if this is the worst you have experienced go and see your GP and get some help in looking at the surrounding issues. This could just as easily been as a result of poor diet and low blood sugar levels combined with being depressed. Making your own judgements to serve your own means without an objective input from someone such as a GP is pretty pointless in my opinion.

I suspect you will feel that I along with others simply 'do not understand' maybe you are right , maybe you are wrong, it might be the case that we have been where you are and have seen these issues progress to a much worse level and so our advice might be valid,

just a thought.

Smiley, I hope you are ok because I notice you've taken your picture down and from your other posts you do seem to be quite depressed.

This to me sounds like you were very very anxious but I do wonder if it was a true panic attack which would probably be more debilitating. Some years ago I could not breathe properly for a lot of the time and I was in a very anxious state in general. I truly thought I had developed asthma because it was so painful to breathe but it was ruled out by the GP. What helped and is something I have incorporated into my life since is learning to do 'deep breathing'. What I mean by this is to breathe using ALL of your lungs...when you are very anxious you can be breathing only very shallowy from the top of your lungs and this means you don't get enough oxygen going into your body and you can then by lightheaded and could experience other problems. It can be a tricky thing to learn if you are not used to doing it but maybe you could ask your GP to give you some idea of how to do some exercises. It took me a lot of concentrated effort to do this but it really works to help slow your mind down and makes you less anxious or helps you deal with anxiety better.

Take care and hope that helps. >:D<<'>

Lyndalou I agree with the advice you are giving here. Following a serious panic attack the hosipital informed my GP who directed me towards an anxiety management course which lasted for about 6 x 1hr sessions from memory. In those sessions we likewise learnt and developed a number of strategies ranging from anxiety awarness, genaral relaxation techniques, distraction techniques, as you say deep breathing exercises through ideas to what we should do when we know we are about to go into a full blown panic attack and can't put the brakes on.

For me this was a simple case of I know I have an issue am I prepared to accept that, seek help and put the time and effort into learning and developing the tools to manage my life in a more positive and constructive way. Lyndalou I agree that it took a lot of focus and hard effort on my part to develop these skills but I have to admit lying in a hospital watching a cardiogram trace my heart taking an hour or so to get back into a regular pattern was enough to convince me to put the effort in. Some individuals on the course were far more flipant and were not really taking it as seriously as I was, that was their choice.

These things can make a big difference in our lives, personally I feel I have a toolkit at my disposal which allows me to go into potentially stressfull situations because there is something I can do to help myself if anxiety levels sart to rise. I can not say I will never have another full blown panic attack as they happen from time to time, but I can take responsibility for my life and be proactive in looking for solutions, at the end of the day thats all we can do, but you are right it takes some effort.

Ended up doing something " bad" I haven't done in ages which is self harm... Not good I know sorry just feel awful inside feel hopeless despair .., :(

Smiley would say self harming is a good sign that you are having difficulty with controling aspects of your life.

Personally I feel there is nothing I can do here. I have also noted that other members have become slower and slower at answering your posts if at all. I could talk about self harm but feel there is no point. In the past few weeks you have put up a number of posts related to things such as depression, panic attacks, self harm, self esteem etc.... In none of those post have I read a single word where you have indicated trying anything personally to help the situation. I know your mother has suggested things to you but have you acted on this advice?

I suspect that I came to the forum along with many others to try and help people, but there is nothing I and others can do unless they are prepared to try and help themselves. I know these are harsh words but they will be my last to you untill I see an indication that you want to really help yourself. In my opinion sympathy is not going to resolve anything, perhaps other memebrs have a different opinion on this. I can only draw on my own experiences in my life and I am gratefull for the people who said to my face that I had problems and gave it to me straight but that I had to take the first steps in seeking help to sort them out.

I hope you can sort out these issues in your own life Smiley and I wish you the best, but we can't do it for you and as such I do not feel the answers lie with me, rather I can say how I overcame similar issues and thats all.

Edited by LancsLad

I'm waiting for social worker to call me back as got review due to have meeting with me and my mum don't know where to seek help right now as have no pyschologist at moment feeling lost confused alone in this all scared open up to my parents even writing it down freak me out! I am losing grip/ control! I don't know what to do about it other than wanting punish myself through harming havent felt so bleak desperate in ages!

Write down you needs, set up an emergency appointment with your GP, take the needs list to them. If you feel needy ring the Samaritians.

get you the help you need as soon as possible, if you keep self harming you could end up hitting a main artiery and that = lights out. then you,ll never feel happiness again. while your alive you have a very good chance of being happy and living a good life. ringing the samaritans might not be such a good idea, chances are there more depressed than you are. you need to surround yourself with friends and familly and even get some of those friends to go with you to your apointments, bottom line is you cant carry on like this. this is no way for a young woman to live. and if you were smiley 1590 then you have been very unhappy for a very long time. as forum members theres nothing much we can do exept advise you to take the next steps, some of our advise may not work for you, but you have to give everything a try. i know your fed up and cant go on anymore but you have to find that last little reserve of strengh to drag yourself through this last little bit. once your getting the help you will stat to climb back down a very steep montain, and you will in time find your land feet again, right now your on the very peak of that montain, and one wrong turn and your going to have a really big fall. thats why you bring friends and/or familly for support to be that saftey net.

yes i am registered with surgery just don't have regular GP i'm going on holiday the end of this month even thoought of this isn't making me feel happy scared i'll be just as unhappy depressed at turkey which have been before and slept near enough all day even when away! just SO TIRED going to be early and waking up at 9am feel like what's point in anything anymore in fighting! feel like can't bring family or friends into my mess of a life! can't even explain why i feel so bad inside! just want run away and scream hide never to be found! just hurt mentally SO MUCH!

Hey SmileyK, i've just registered on this site, I've been around since the sixties!! and have found what's wrong (or different with me). I little over 25 years ago, I felt the same way, life was bad, nothing was going right, I'd lost my wife (she left me) and there was nothing and nobody who I could turn to. I ended up drinking a litre of sherry a day and finally put a loaded gun to my head and cocked the trigger, nobody was going to miss me! I never did pull that trigger and fought hard to get meaning back into my life. Today, I've got a beautiful wife of 22 years, two lovely children and I do a lot of charity work and also work with children. I have days and weeks where I find it hard to cope, but I put my goal in life to help and love others. Inside my head I still have arguments with myself and sometimes don't know where to turn, but there are people, like you will have, that are there to listen and help. We're all here for each other. I'm not a medical expert, but I know myself and I know of those that have self harmed. Share your life with your family and your friends, thay are there to help in their own special way, nobody is an island and we're all in it together, and together we'll go forward. We're like little batteries, the more we physically or mentally drain ourselves, the lower we become, you're tired because you're mentally drained. You have already made a good move by talking on this forum, have a chat with your doc too like chris54 advised, they are good listeners too you know. You take care of yourself, you are, after all, precious to more people than you think.

Rang every where today team /service see if can trace social worker no one seems to have record of anything but Care manager suppose to transferred my care package to CMHT spoke to man there he looked me up and said they haven't dealt with me since 2009 and have no evidence of referral to them going round in circles spoke to endless teams /services explained my situation over even more sick tires drained fed up after this like game of ping pong rang back care manager team I asked to speak to Care manager she ain't there don't know when she will be! Great! Then just told all clients cases been passed over to CMHT now not their team anymore photocopied care plans sent over to CMHT so confusing frustrating no one seems know what really going on so got to ring CMHT and speak to manager there see if can find bottom of deep truth driving me crazy mad!

Feel like pass the parcel no one wants take responsibility of my care feel invisible burden to services out there because you have AS dont seem to "fit" or " belong" anywhere makes me angry hurt to think floating around I explained I have no pyschologist at the moment and struggling to manage! Even that isn't enough! Just want to scream had enough made me feel so much better now! Trying track down is awful just makes want say forget it!

You have to start at the beginning by the sound of it - and that means going back to the GP or if you have one at your GP surgery a link worker or whatever they are called.

They will have to start the referral process again - and that could take some time - but if you can't dive straight back in then you will have to start over.

But I don't get it why is care been passed over has it not been explained more to me? So complex! And if I've been referred to CMHT by care manager should be some record of this or social worker contacting me no other team knows nothing anything! I can't start again it breaking me literally I'm more stressed/ anxious:( not good! I haven't really been informed of anything that's most annoying !!! Not happy my state mind just goes from bad to worse they don't make it any less easier/better more pressure I'm drained of starting whole process over there team mistake not mine why should I pay for it?! :( what happens if in emergency crisis situation they needed to know who responsible for my care?! Pushing me closer over the edge! Not helping just making it worse !

I've had it happen, and if you are being told that you aren't on the records as a current patient then there is no other option - You take a breath and go back to the GP and start again.

You ask your GP to enquire and find these things out, sometimes you can be slotted back into the service.

But sometimes you can't - which will mean referrals and waiting times - again, organised by your GP or equivalent of a "link worker".

The system is pretty predictable...

And here's where you get a big choice - do you rant and scream and get angry and depressed and upset?

Or - do you ring your GP and start making a move towards doing something - even if you don't know where it will lead or what will happen.

Sometimes it is better to do something than do nothing - because at least doing something might make things change.

Exactly that get angry , depressed/ upset it overwhelming can't even get hold of my care manager find out situation...!!! Never ending !!! G.P will put me back in sane situation of let down disappointment why do I put myself up to fall high as doesn't help holding much hope trust in any services /team Adult MHT was snotty on phone as explained finding daily life difficult manage and cope lady hot " snotty" defensive as decided to discharge myself in 2009 as pyschtrist was horrid towards me his attitude was harsh bad he had no knowledge / understanding on AS I had explain to him made me feel worse insulted offended me came home in floods tears wish I pushed for official complaint now and let mum gone down there! Regret I have! That's why I left made my MH worse not better! More suicidal depressed tried stick with it raise above it all but lady said " go GP and have re refer back to their team" can't put myself through that nightmare hell again where do I go? Which team/ service do u belong to? Realised all services/ systems out there suck! In my case lead more upset , heartache , headache , anxiety/ stress ... So wish it would end soon! Wish I never born then wouldn't have go through ant of this complicated mess!!!

This is the only bit I can answer right now

Which team/ service do u belong to?

It all started 12 years ago with a GP who referred me to a social worker, who referred me to a psychologist, who got a new job and passed me back to a social worker, who also left their job and passed me to another support worker, who shared me with a social worker and between them and my health I got sectioned. There were a couple of other shrinks and social workers incolved at that time.

After that I left the service for a bit.

Then I saw my GP about food problems and was referred to a psychologist and then the same support worker as before, the psychologist moved jobs and my support worker said I should be glad I got anything at all. I left the service again.

Now I see a I see a psychiatrist and care coordinator who was referred by another psychiatrist and a psychologist and I was referred to them by a care coordinator who was referred by the psychiatrist before that and that psychiatrist was arranged through the care coordinator before that, and the care-co was arranged via the GP.

Its a total nightmare - but you can do that or you can find another way (like buying therapy or fixing yourself). Don't ask me how to do that though because I have been trying to "fix" myself since I was about 19 years old and its now 12 years later and I still haven't found a way.

Feels like everyone accepting me all answers to questions to easily put myself together again and fix myself if only it was that simple easy I would with click of my fingers! I cry myself to sleep every night! Just at lost of what to do for the best give up keep on trying running out of fuel resources stream energy! Could stay in bed all day just cry ... Hate pity feeling sorry for myself try hard bat it back fight it off as much as possible depression! Feel so shattered in pieces !

SmileyK

It seems clear from what other people have said that collectively as a forum, we have given you loads of support and advice and we can do no more.

It sounds like that your GP/medical team see you as a "difficult patient" (please...don't take this the wrong way!) - what I mean is that they just don't know what to do with you and thus push you from one professional to another. Clearly this is not helping you.

Having been alluded to before, you need to show us what positive steps you are taking to help your situation. I went through 4 years of serious clinical depression and self harmed. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and I turned my life around.

You can do this too

You have to want to change and do something to dispel all this negativity that you've built up

You sound like a very nice young person so please don't waste what life you have ahead of you

Feels like everyone accepting me all answers to questions to easily put myself together again and fix myself if only it was that simple easy I would with click of my fingers! I cry myself to sleep every night! Just at lost of what to do for the best give up keep on trying running out of fuel resources stream energy! Could stay in bed all day just cry ... Hate pity feeling sorry for myself try hard bat it back fight it off as much as possible depression! Feel so shattered in pieces !

If you think that all this was easy then you've missed the point :

| |

V

It all started 12 years ago with a GP who referred me to a social worker, who referred me to a psychologist, who got a new job and passed me back to a social worker, who also left their job and passed me to another support worker, who shared me with a social worker and between them and my health I got sectioned. There were a couple of other shrinks and social workers incolved at that time.

After that I left the service for a bit.

Then I saw my GP about food problems and was referred to a psychologist and then the same support worker as before, the psychologist moved jobs and my support worker said I should be glad I got anything at all. I left the service again.

Now I see a I see a psychiatrist and care coordinator who was referred by another psychiatrist and a psychologist and I was referred to them by a care coordinator who was referred by the psychiatrist before that and that psychiatrist was arranged through the care coordinator before that, and the care-co was arranged via the GP.

Its a total nightmare - but you can do that or you can find another way (like buying therapy or fixing yourself). Don't ask me how to do that though because I have been trying to "fix" myself since I was about 19 years old and its now 12 years later and I still haven't found a way.

All that took nearly 13 years of hell - of giving up - of trying again - over and over - easy wouldn't be a word I'd use at all....

Edited by darkshine

Smiley - from the amount of people who have replied to you, there are people out there who care about you. But you need to care about yourself enough to listen to advice when it's given - or this low swing will just keep on going.

What works for me is organizing. Making a list of tasks I need to do to start getting better. Perhaps trying something similar will help for you. It calms me and helps me focus. You need to be persistent with your GP issue and even a list there may work too. List what's going on in your life and why you feel you need help - this may help the GP better understand where you are coming from.

If you are having morbid thoughts you should also perhaps call the samaritans. They will at least listen to you.

But as everyone else has said before, and I am saying now - take on board what is being advised to you - we've all had bad spells, some worse than others, so we know what it's like. We also know that advice helps.

Got called into work suddenly early this morning (9:00am) which made me feel anxious shaken then rang CMHT spoke to man I spOke to yesterday so at least didn't have re explain whole situation over again !!! So fed up tired of explaining even! He managed to get hold of social worker who rang me! She rang me on mobile and said she have look into my care package funding and asked care manager team ( joint commissioning team) she asked me ifi have self directed support/ payment which don't think I do now used have it with NAS support workers going out and about in community with them! She then said if social services don't fund any of my care that no need do anything contact me but if it was shed ring me let me know but so confusing still! So things still no clearer for me! It's like maze I don't know what happen if I ain't funded by them where this leave me without a care manager?! When I've been told that social worker taken over from care manager! ? Social worker said shell have look into care package ask more questions about it ! :( Shell contact me next week still feel just as worked stressed anxious ....

Edited by smileyK