Sign in to follow this  
Notwelliam

Need help on parts of Child DLA first claim for Autism

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I am hoping someone can help me.

First off, I have tried my local CAB, but they are understaffed etc. I have tried Welfare rights, and am on the huge waiting list. They are not doing new claims and are instead, focussing on “Appeals”.

I have printed out the online PDF version of the DLA1A Child claim form for my 11 year old Autistic Son, I have tried filling out to the best of my ability, but it is so hard to do.

I need help (with examples if possible from members who have already completed and successfully claimed for their Autistic child please - I have tried the various Guides out there, but am still stuck - the form has and continues to stress me out).

The sections that I am stuck on are:

Part 5: Has physical Disabilties (would I be right in ticking this box, because autism is Physical as well as mental disability? - My Son appears to be clumsy and trip over his own feet etc, and by the looks of it, most if not all ASD children are like this? Yes??) Has a long term illness (would I be right in ticking this box as ASD is for life?)

Therapy - Does the child need therapy?

Would someone be so kind as to give me some examples of what to put here please?

Part 24 - Help the child needs when they go out during the day or in the evening

Would someone be so kind as to give me some examples of what to put here please?

Part 26 - Anything else about the way the child is affected by their illnesses or disabilities

Now, I do realise that these are completed per an individual childs needs/basis, but expels would be appreciated.

As for the times/days etc - they are a right pain.

Thank you in advance for all help received.

Edited by Notwelliam

Hi there

I don't have much time to write just now so this will be short.

Firstly, we have been successful at getting DLA middle rate care component. My lad is under 5 so we were unable to claim the mobility part.

I would say that you know your boy the best. I wouldn't necessarily go by what behaviours or difficulties other kids with ASD exhibit because every child has their own specific challenges. 'Clumsiness' for instance, is not necessarily an indicator of physical disability. My boy can trip, bang into doors and step on things on the floor but this can be because of a lack of body awareness, tiredness or him focusing hard on something so he doesn't notice what is in the way.

I did one section at a time, focusing entirely on that section until I was happy that what I had written was an accurate portrayal. Our claim was backdated to the date I requested the form. You said you are doing it online. It might be worth phoning up and asking for a hard copy because that way you could spend more time on it?

I don't believe I said my son had a long term illness because ASD is not an illness - it is a condition or disorder.

Re the times...I found this quite difficult but for instance, when I was filling in things like how many minutes it took to dress my son, I took into account persuading him to come to his room to get dressed, the time for him to get his clothes out and how long it took to physically get his clothes on. I factored in how many times I would need to put his coat or his shoes on including when picking up from nursery.

Good Luck

Lynda :)

I would add - take photocopies of the entire form!

I believe the NAS website has a helpsheet on filling out DLA forms. Check out local disability charities and autism organisations for help. Also try http://www.cafamily.org.uk. Its depressing to say but you will probably have to appeal no matter what you put down - just seems to be the way the system works.

Thanks for your replies.

If I telephone the number for a Child DLA claim form, they will stamp it with The date that I requested (the date that the claim will be started from, if successful, yes?) and the the date that the form has to be returned by. Yes?

Now, we have been completing the Childs DLA form online (PDF) version, and want to print that out.

How would we go about it please? I mean, would we have to cut the page out of the Childs DLA form that they send us and then add it to the printed out, completed online, PDF version that we have filled in? Or is this not accepted by the DLA ?

Your help is appreciated.

In all honesty, I think they would just want the form in one version or the other but it wouldn't hurt to check with them direct.

When I got the form it was stamped with the date I requested it (date for claim to be backdated to) and the date it had to be returned by (around 6 weeks, taking into account time to post form back).

I would disagree that you always have to appeal the decision made. We were advised that our son would probably be entitled to middle rate and that is what we were awarded. As long as you give an accurate portayal of the difficulties your son has and do not downplay those problems then you are in a good position to be awarded a rate which reflects those difficulties. I do know someone who had to appeal 3 times before they were awarded high rate for a severely autisic child (they'd had DLA completely revoked by an unsympathetic officer) but I also know a number of people who were awarded DLA they felt was appropriate first time round.

There may be someone such as an NAS adviser - perhaps you could call the helpline? - who could give you some guidance about how to answer the specific questions you have to finish your claim.

Lynda :)

Edited by Lyndalou

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/English/getinformation/publications/Pages/DLAGuide.aspx

This is the guide we used the first time we applied for my sons DLA. It gives examples of the type of information they are looking for. The main thing is that you have to clearly show that your child needs more help of a child of a similar age - ie my son is still in nappies at nearly 9, so clearly that is well outwith the realms of normal child development.

Lynne