bjkmummy

can anyone make sense of this letter for me please

hi, joe is school placement is breaking down. he is not coping and has been vomiting every day - last week he was signed off sick by the gp for a week - hes gone into school today for the morning only - will collect him at lunchtimes every day now until the end of term

emergency review held on 31st may - we had a private OT report done which recommends special school placement. school state they can no longer meet joes needs and he needs a new placement for sept. lea then went away from the meeting to consider the new docs - then basically silence

all the paperwork went back to the lea the next day on 1st june but then somehow it went missing according to the lea and they didnt recived it until 13th june - so things very stressful here with joe in and out of school, not looking like he has a place for sept and the lea playing their best poker face.

i spoke to lea officer on 15th june when she said paperwork only just been received and that it would be looked at the following week which would have been last week.

anyway got a letter in the post this morning and i really dont understand what they are trying to say so wonder if anyone else can understand lea language!

'as you are aware from our telephone conversation on fri 15th june, the local authority recieved the annual review documents from the school on weds 13 june. the local authority has been in receipt of this paperwork for a week.

i did state that a meeting to discuss the documentation would be arranged as soon as practicable. this meeting was held on tues 19 june 2012. following this further consideration is to be given to the recommendations and any amendments, if agreed, will be made ot the statement.

and thats it - what on earth does that mean - when do you think im ever going to get this statement back amended or not so i can get on to tribunal if required. who is doing this further consideration - consideration of what? im just sat here open mouthed and just think this is just a came of cat and mouse whilst an 8 year old boy continues to detoriate - think this letter is in response to an email i sent last thurs letting them know that joe is signed of sick and if they could let me know what is happening - they may have only had the docs since 13 june but really they need to look at themselves and explain where on earth these docs went for nearly 2 weeks! noone can give me an answer to the question which im sure means that they have something to hide.

I think what this all says is that it took a bit of time for them to get everything together, whilst this might have been paperwork, I think it was also people in the same room. They have looked through all the stuff in front of them and talked about the points raise. It is now at the point where they are thinkg what to do next and if they decide to do something it will go on Joe's statement at some point in the future.

I can understand that this is frustrating but they will be dealing with things at their own pace. I think the reference to the 13th and 15th of the month and having a meeting on the 19th is them saying we are doing things pretty quickly in our time scales. This might be quick enough for you but I don't think you are going to change the speed of things.

I think my advice is to wait and see what they say next. I would leave it for a week or so and if you do not hear anything write and ask them polietly what were the final decisions from the meeting of the 19th of June. I suspect it might be a case of notes having been taken and them not having found the time to write stuff up or they might have needed to seek advice from someone else before coming to a final decision. To be honest I don't know all the answers just trying to say this might not be that bad and try and be patient. I know Joe will have daily issues in the meantime I just hope common sense prevails in people helping him get through those issues at the end of the day a piece of paper doesn't solve anything, the actions of individuals do.

Best wishes.

yes - will leave them to it for a while longer - its just frustrating not knowing whats going on - ive heard rumours that they may try and get an OT report themselves but they will also have to do it privately as our area do not commision sensory intregration therapy so it ironic that after having a go at me they will need to do it privately as well! i have a meeting on 10th july when all parties including lea should be there - bit like a TAC etc so thats the worse case scenario for hearing anything further.

I think as with so many things on the forum we have to keep a balanced view in respect to our own lives. It is easy to think the experiences of others will mean that we often expect the worst case scenarios every time we get into a period of uncertainty.

I know for example I have a first meeting this week with a psychiatrist. If this goes badly there is a big temptation to come on and slag the meeting off and say this was a complete waste of time. if it goes well hoever will I come on and say you know what I had a brilliant meeting today just thought I would share my experiences.

The problem of any forum is htat it often reflects issues more than it reflect solutions, and often we are in positions where there might not be an issue at all though we feel compelled to go looking for solutions at every turn. I wory some times as to how this sort of culture manifests itself in real life. Are people constantly agitaded because they are fearing the worse and as a result might not get the response which was naturally coming their way.

In Joes case I do not know what september and a new school year might bring what I do know is wherever he is it is important everyone is doing their best for him. Sometimes kids might not be in the best place for their needs, but there might not be a ready alternative available. It is often the case that these things simply take time to accomplish and that we have to focus on what we can do today in a big way rather than being constanly distracted by what might happen tomorrow.

At the end of the day there can be a lot of frustration around ASD and the lives of the people it encompases. There are also a lot of special things in there as well. It is a case we often have to learn to count to 10 in dealing with things, sometimes even 15, 20 or a lot more, but thats how it is at the end of the day. We are all human and get frustrated it is natural, and no one ever said life was easy.

best wishes bjkmummy sounds like your head is in a better place now, 10th of July is not that for off in all honesty, let us know how things go, and that means both good and bad and anything in between.

thanks lancslad - lack of patience is my downfall - at this stage im just going to let them get on with it as its out of my hands really - the sen officer is very stubborn and i know the more i push wont make a blind bit of difference - she will take as long as she likes.on the positive - joe did just morning at school today and for the first time in a couple of months we have had no sickness :-))) im slowly realising that he is going to be out of school come sept and he will be at home - this isnt something that is going to be resolved overnight and im in for quite a long journey - as long as it means he gets the right placement at the end of it thats whats important - just wish the lea would learn to stop talking in riddles so that we are all clear on what is happening but maybe thats a wish too far!

The NHS OT service may still assess. Our PCT doesn't fund Sensory Integration therapy or any therapy for Dyspraxia. But the OT did carry out an assessment in 2008 and did not do anything. His Statement said the OT would be responsible for an OT programme to be delivered in school. But because school said they had no concerns, that gave the OT the 'get out' clause she needed, so she did nothing.

She gave us some 'exercises' to do at home that had a 'sensory element' to them. That was just useless. He was in such a state when he got home that you could not talk to him, nevermind get him to do yoga type exercises.

She would not say he had dyspraxia UNTIL I wrote to her and said that the CAHMS Psychiatrist and the Independent EP both said he had Dyspraxia, and could she please confirm her refusal to put that in writing. I got a letter back within 10 days saying he had Dyspraxia.

I think the interpretation is pretty much as Lancslad has said. But if it were me, I would probably write back asking for clarification of who is considering what and ask for them to let you know by 2 weeks time. Then if they reply saying they need 4 weeks, you still know WHEN the decision is going to be made. Then leave them to it.

Have you checked with IPSEA or SEND about the timescale by which they MUST have finalised the Statement? If you know that, then you don't need to worry because if they go over that deadline you can complain and the LA will get into trouble.

I just want to make a point and this is in no way intending to get at Sally but her point that in her opinion she woul probably write back more or less straight away against my point of leave it a couple of weeks raises a thought not saying who is right or wrong.

Often in life there is a natural ryhythm to many process we will see that happening a lot of the TV this week if you tune into Wimledon. For some people the temptation is to step into the ball every time and try and get it back as quickly as possible and go for a winner (John McEnroe). At other times it is appropriates that you go through a series of shots geting a feel for how the point is developing at a more strategic level, baseline play. In such a way you can watch your oponent and gradualy strengthen your grip on the game (Bjorn Borg). There is no wrong an right way to play tennis in fact there are many ways.

I often have the opinion on the forum that a lot of parents through anxiety and a slight lack of knowledge about systems get dragged into a serve volley game very quickly and as result might be hitting a fair share of balls long and wide and will be missing out on the points. At times we simply have to hang in their give ourselfves a bit of time and space when we can, and after a bit we might start to think 'hey I can live with this guy or girl on the other side of the net, they are just another tennis player' at that point thinking might change for some and turn to the fact 'that you might get a good result here'.

Just a few thoughts know I am showing my age here. For the record JM was my favorite player of all time, but he was left handed and I am biased, in life I am much more of an Ille Nastase, now thats one for the oldies amongst us.

Just a few thoughts best wishes.

I'm only suggesting writing to the LA AFTER the OP has found out what the LEGAL timescales are by which the LA MUST finalise the Statement.

If there is a deadline by which the LA MUST LEGALLY RESPOND, then it is in the interests of the OP to find out what that date is.

as far as im aware there is no time limit which adds to the frustration but i will email ipsea to double check - i have an early support meeting on 10th july - so 2 weeks today - this apparently is higher than a TAC/CAF though not sure how true that is. i have emailed the lady organising it and she has just confirmed that the sen officer will not be there but her boss will be who is actually quite a sensible and reasonable person - i had hoped she would be at the emergency review but she didnt attend so that makes me feel a little better. so i will leave them to it for 2 weeks and will ask questions at the meeting. parent partnership now say that it looks like they are not opposing the OT report so not sure where that leaves us. Parent partnership helpfully finish work nexy week until sept so looks like im going it alone whether i like it or not.

A child is not getting a full education, and so there is definitely justification for a swift decision.

The child's needs are paramount and there is no excuse for any LA to drag their heels.

Two weeks is ample time to decide whether or not to amend.

I would give them two weeks and then remind them of their legal duty to act in a timely manner.

You can issue judicial review proceedings against them for any attempt to delay finalising the statement - I have heard of many LA's trying to avoid amending statements by delaying the issue of amendment notices.

If they try to delay, write to them saying that you believe they are 'acting unreasonably in relation to your child' and you will have no option but to begin proceedings. SOS!SEN has info on this on their website.

You are your child's advocate and it is not a question of patience; things take long enough without unnecessary delays.

well its been 2 weeks and ive heard exactly nothing so will email them again - i did hear back from ipsea - basically what they are saying is that the code state that a statement has to go through annual review process every year so on a 12 month cycle - this means therefore as my statement was issued in novemebr 2011 they have until nov 2012 although ipsea feel that if a early/emergency review is called then this strictly shouldnt be followed - quote from ipsea ' when LAs arrange an early review then they sometimes argue that they need not complete the process and make a decision until the anniversary of the previous review. IPSEA believes that this is an unreasonable interpretation of the law in an early review situation and if this happens I am to contact them . It is open to me to press the LA as regulary as is necessary by contacting them by telephone, asking whether the reivew has been completed. If I believe they are delaying making a decison without good ground i need to contact ipsea to get advice on what to do.

Joe since starting mornings last week was sickness free for the first 2 days only - the sickness has now continued so has made no difference really except i suppose to the number of times he is being sick.

I am now going to email the sen caseworker and copy in her boss - i dont want to get their backs up but think they are deffo trying to delay t hings - anyone have any suggestions on how i should word it - going to email as then have a copy of what is being said and usually if i phone they just ignore my phone calls - also how do i send an email with an attachement to show that the email has been read? the emergency review was on 31st may so a month (nearly 5 weeks) has now passed and i know exactly nothing about what is going on

Something that gets in all the information in it, such as:

"As you are aware, my son xxxxx, is not coping in his current school placement due to repeated vomitting on a daily basis. On xxxxx, an emergency review was held. Part of the outcome of that review was that my son would have a reduced timetable, going into school for xx hours on xx days.

Unfortunately this has not stopped my son vomitting due to anxiety. I am also concerned that his timetable in school is so reduced to only xx hours a week, which is not providing him with access to the national curriculum to which he is entitled.

As an emergency review was held. Could you please inform me by return email, when you will make a decision on whether to amend the Statement or not. xx weeks have already passed, and I feel an emergency review, is just that, and that a decision should be made as a matter of urgency."

Thanks Sally - you are a star - will send the email now and then will wait a week - got a meeting next tues and depending on what happens will then contact ipsea for further advice

If your son does end up our of school and refusing totally to attend, get in writing from a consultant [probably CAHMS], that it is due to anxiety. That will stop the LA involving the educational welfare officer.

And if you do have such a letter from a consultant to say that he is off school due to a medical condition [and anxiety is a medical condition], then the LA have to arrange a home tutor or some other form of education that meets his needs.

And the longer they delay, and the less they do, and if he does end up out of school, it all works in your favour when you end up at tribunal. So don't push them too much. Just write the letter and leave it with them.

If they did wait until Novemer to amend, that is going to look very bad, especially if you are writing to them on a regular basis asking them for their decision. Or how they intend to proceed with reintroducing your son into school.

I told my son that IF he could not take school, that I would not force him to go if he was honest with me. And he was. He didn't go for about a year. In his new school he is attending and trying very hard. So it is not about a child just 'trying it on'. If he cannot take it anymore, then you have to listen to that.

His frequent vomitting is a physical symptom of the stress and anxiety he is under. Is there anything else he does eg. tic cough, rituals, problems sleeping. Can he sleep alone? Does he threaten to hurt himself, or does he bite, hit or scratch himself?

Edited by Sally44

well i asked for a reply by return on tuesday and still no reply - they are deffo up to something..... i have a feeling that there is a panel today - im not going to chase them again but when we come face to face on tuesday i want answers and also why they are deliberately delaying. he was sick 5 times yesterday morning. i am now accepting that there will be no school place for him in september but im shocked and disappointed at the games the lea will play.

Hi bjkmummy.. i've a very similar situation with my son R, with the LEA in Cardiff.. My best advice to you at the moment is to make an Urgent Visit Appointment at a SEN School of your choice (within your catchment area), take your Son and see if he likes the visit.. if he does like the school, enquire about spaces for next sept.. if there are spaces, contact, both the SEN LEA admissions officer to confirm this and then your son's SENCO Officer / Educational Welfare Case Worker / Educational Psychologist (CAMHS - Hospital based, Consultant Paediatric Psychologist) / Educational O/T / Educational Speech & Language Worker etc.. to arrange an Emergency School transfer and with SNAP if necessary.. Remember that both you and your son have a big say in your choice of an appropriate school for him.. you can arrange for your son to attend mornings only at your choice of SEN School until end of term (talk to the Head Teacher, some school is better than none), otherwise tell the current school that you're going to 'Home School' your son, see if he stops being sick then.? We have even had to threaten to move home/house into Bridgend county for our son to go to a school (Heronsbridge - look this school up.!) that is appropriate for him holistically - both education and his personal happiness.. Yes, being sick, both physically and complaining are both signs of stress about going (being forced - under pressure from the truency dept.) to go to school.. it's not a good situation when you literally have to force/drag your SEN child to a mainstream school, especially when the school staff are hostile to your child being moved (they loose funding for that child).. i hope that this helps.. Please let us know.. Glyncochboy

Edited by glyncochboy@hotmail.com

Do not remove and deregister your child to home school. If you do that the LA no longer has any responsibility towards their education at all.

If your child is unable to attend due to anxiety and is refusing school that is different. That proves the child is not coping in the current school.

no - even if he doesnt return in sept im going to ask for him to stay on the school register - its the part that school have said they cannot meet his needs but the lea just walked out and left him in a school that cannot meet his needs and now wont speak to me!

had no reply to the email from tues - just rang the sen officers boss and shes not in so left a voicemail making it clear i want to know what is going on. IPSEA told me to contact them if i got no response so just spoken to them and emailed their previous advice and waiting for them to call me back just so when i go to this meeting on tuesday im sort of prepared and to get answers to any questions that i might need. its just so frustrating to be met with a wall of silence - he was sick 5 times on wednesday and he was only in school for 3 hours

meeting today was awful! they state the lack of response has been as sen boss been on leave and sen officer has been off sick. in the meeting it was the sen officers boss and she said did i get the message she left on my phone this morning - i said no - when i got home and checked it was left at 12.45pm - meeting was at 2pm!

She did not want to discuss joe at all and wants to discuss it with sen officer and myself and husband on friday morning. she made it clear that they are going to get an NHS OT report. They clearly do not think he should be having a specialist school placement even though school have said and put it in writing that they cannot meet his needs. Their OT assessment will not see him at school but at a centre quite a few miles away from here. They mentioned the cost of transport for a specialist palcement and the rules about travel time. She said there was not enough evidence that he was detoriatinng which at that point for his class teacher was going to hit her - class teacher made it clear that joe is failing in all areas academically - lea revert back to their ed psych report bit of course only hightlight the one area that has showed progress and neglected to mention the area he detoriated in. in his statement where it mentions the targets the head had written against every target 'ongoing' lea taken this to mean that hes doing fine - class teacher said no - that means he isnt achieving them hence why they are ongoing! that they would have expected him to reach these targets

so i expect this is the way it will go - lea will dig their heels in on friday - the will do an NHS OT report - they will then consider it and then tehy may or may not amend the statement -- emergency review was 31st may - i honestly cant see a decision being made before october if not beyond. they are going to drag this out - what happens in sept - noone knows -again they say it will be discussed on friday. they are playing for time and what with the school holidays etc looming this is going to run and run. he is still only in school in the mornings - no sickness today and yesterday but he has had bad days each day - the teacher is struggling - if he stays at the school past sept his next teacher is a newly qualified teacher , head is going off on maternity leave in oct so god knows who we will get next. she also said that an OT report is not enough evidence to show a specialist placement is needed neither is the mainstream school saying he needs a specialist placement so im in limbo a bit - very very upset - dont know which way to turn - i would rather they said now they dont agree a change in school and issue the statement back so we can get onto tribunal asap rather tahn waiting to oct and then them still refusing to amend the statement

Don't panic.

The LA were always going to do this.

You do have evidence that he has deteriorated. Do you have in writing that the sickness is not due to physical illness, but anxiety around school.

Did you minute the meeting or record it? If not type up your notes NOW and send a copy of them to the school and LA as your notes of what was said and discussed.

My son was out of school for nearly a year. The co-ordinator for the hospital school came to see me and my son, and she wrote a letter saying that the hospital school could not meet his needs because it is for sick children and that her opinion was that my son needed a specialist placement for children with autism with professionally qualified teachers and therapy staff employed on site.

The LA would not accept that letter. They said she had no right to say that. They wrote to her boss, who agreed that she did not have the authority to come to that decision. But remember that the Panel will read those letters. And the Panel are used to many LAs doing this type of thing. The Panel agreed with the Hospital school co-ordinator.

Remember that the LA are not Gods. They have no control over the SEN Tribunal Panel. They may get their own employees to toe the line, but even his own school agree with you. So get as much from them in writing as you can. Have a long talk with the SENCO/Head/Teacher and then send in a letter about what they said. If they disagree with your version of the discussion they can write to you.

You just get in writing every thing that you can use as evidence. You can write to the school teacher and ask about his targets, how long they have been in place, and that your understanding is that they are 'on-going' because he has not met them during the xx months that they have been his targets.

Find out what qualifications the current teaching staff have, and especially his teacher for next year.

If your son is too anxious to attend the OT assessment, that is fine. Don't push him to go if he is getting upset. Check what assessments the OT wants to do, because she cannot duplicate any assessments carried out less than 6 months ago.

You can be present during the assessments if you wish. And you can teach your son to say something or give a hand signal to show you he wants to leave, and if he does that you can take him home.

You do have to co-operate, but not at the expense of your sons mental health! If he vomits, take him home immediately. Tell him that he is going to meet a lady that wants to play some games with him. If he refuses, he refuses.

I had a woman coming to my house twice a week to collect my son. If he refused to go with her because he felt too bad, I told her she would have to leave without him. I had a letter from my GP and Clinical Psychology and CAHMS to support the fact that I was not to force him to do anything. I've already said that you need to get something similar. Have you got anything in writing yet. If you have, then explain to your son that if he says he feels bad, or if he gives the hand signal you've agreed on [we used the british sign language sign for 'home'], then you do what he's asked and you take him home. He needs to learn how to communicate his anxiety and to know that those around him will listen to him rather than try to make him stay where he is and comply with requests being made of him.

Find out who is this woman's boss and write a formal letter of complaint about the length of time being taken over this 'emergency' review. Ask for a reply within 14 days. If this does not work write a letter to your MP. Start kicking up a fuss and making work for them.

I think you said before that CAHMS hinted that 'enough was enough'. I think you need another appointment and for you to say to them that you are extremely concerned about his vomitting and the amount of force used to get him into school and the delaying tactics of the LA. Get in writing from them that his anxiety is due to not coping in school and that it is a medical condition. And then don't send him into school unless he agrees to go.

Edited by Sally44

i do have it a letter from the paed plus the sicknote from a few weeks ago - the school have a vomiting diart.

the head is off school tomorrow so will email her and try and speak to her on thursday - she wasnt at the meeting but the class teacher was and she was outraged at what was being said. in her folder she showed me before the meeting that she had his school report - i noticed that all the area of learning were amber which means he is struggling. our OT report was done in april so i need to i guess get the LA one done by sept but its just delaying tatics - i would rather now that they have said there is no evidence that he is struggling academically - which is a lie - move to tribunal asap. the school is an academy so has no ties with the LA - my only problem is that the head is pregnant and due to go off on maternity leave in oct with baby due in nov but she has put it in writing thhis at the school cannot meet his needs and that she also accepts the OT report as an accurate reflection of Joes needs. Its a mess it really is - i know you said this would happen but when it does it hits you like a lead weight. joe has a paed appointment at the beginning of next term so if this is ongoing will get her to sign him off. this is going to go to tribunal - im still in shock that they said there was ne evidence that he has detoriated - i just cant believe they said it. the meeting today was a support meeting lead by another agency so they took the minutes - i did walk out for quite a lot of it - the main meeting now is friday when they will really show their hand as its just us and them - she didnt want to speak today at all and was very cagey about everything. my husband said i was quite argumentative but she wound me up so much. he is going to lead the next meeting - i think that i will get my best friend to come along as support for me - she has a sen child but has never had to cross swords with the lea so hopefully wont be a conflict for her

Don't lose your temper. You will gain nothing. They know what they are doing. Stop thinking you have to convince them. they already know.

They cannot admit he is not making progress or deteriorating because if they do they have to do something about it.

My LA did exactly the same. They just denied everything. They said there was no evidence that he was anxious eventhough he was refusing school and had attempted suicide. Just let them continue digging themselves into a hole. Because they have to defend their behaviour to the Tribunal Panel.

But you must not get angry. Especially at the Tribunal itself. You can get upset. Most parents do end up in tears at some point. But you have to keep the focus on your son and his needs, and come across as a very concerned parent who has tried their best and that their son is being failed by the school and the LA.

At the next meeting just keep batting the ball back into their court. If they say 'no deterioration' say 'what about the vomitting' 'what about the OT report' 'what about the school saying they cannot meet his needs' 'what about CAHMS saying xxxxx' 'what about his school report.'

You can say at the meeting that the emergency review was held in xxxx, and that you want the LA to come to a decision as to whether to amend the Statement or not so that you can lodge your appeal.

Put it all in writing. then you can submit that as evidence that you asked the LA to finalse the Statement time and time again but they delayed, having had an emergency review they did nothing and came to no decision for months leaving your son out of school with no education and no professional input at all. The LA will have to justify that. Believe me, the Panel will ask them some very searching questions. But you need to stop getting angry at them. They are doing this to save them money. That is their job.

Ask the LA EP her opinion about placement. Get that in writing. Ask if she has seen your son. Has the school contacted her for her advice?

The OT cannot carry out the same assessments as your independent OT. If you are unsure as to what assessments were carried out, get in touch with the independent OT again, tell her the situation, ask for details of the assessments she carried out, and then get in touch with the NHS OT to tell her what assessments were carried out and when.

You can tell the LA that there is no need to delay the decision as to whether to amend or not, as the Appeal process will give them plenty of time to get this OT report and for their findings to be included in the Statement.

The appeal process allows both parties to continue negotiating right up to the actual start of the Appeal hearing. You don't need to wait for the OT report before they finalise. They will have about 4-6 months before the actual Appeal.

Edited by Sally44

thanks sally - thats helpful as always x - i got more upset than angry hence why i left the room as i couldnt bear to listen to it - whatever the lea are up to the did not want everyone in the room to hear for some reason. i feel that they have enough time already andif they dont agree at this stage then they should just re issue the statement so we can get to tribunal asap. i hear what you say about putting in writing and i will ensure i do that - i have started printing off email and so far no response from them. i was going through my paperwork earlier and time and time again i have said this is urgent, if a delay let me know, im happy to work with them to sort out suitable placement etc etc - im hoping if i give them enough rope they will hang themselves. hubby is speaking at the next meeting and he made it clear today he wants clear timelines but i think we should listen to what the lea have to say - pass it over to them - just one question - if i do say no need to wait for Ot report from them would this look bad on me at a later date at tribunal as it appears that we are not giving them the opprotunity which we are - we just dont want to wait 2 months whilst they ponder. also im conscious that the schools are going to start closing next week and i need to get it in writing that they would be willing to offer joe a place at my preferred school before the schools shut otherwise it will be more delay. if i start the appeal now - its looking like christmas/feb before we get to tribunal. they have already wasted 6 weeks to get this far plus they have had our OT report for 8 weeks already

also sally - re the OT report LEA are going to do - we will have to take him to a proper OT assessment centre in the next county so quite a way away - they have already said that the do not wish the OT to see Joe in school - which our OT did - my husband did question this and asked how is that right as did the class teacher - the class teacher made the point that when our OT came she saw him in a PE lesson where Joe bit his toes so much they were bleeding and the NHS OT will see none of this. also just been going through the ed psych reports and its all very wishy washy - i know if i contact him he will never commit to anything -if we go to tribunal then we will be getting a private ed psych report. that said i spoke to the NHS OT a couple of weeks ago as my elder son saw here - we talked about Joe and she said it would be here that the LEA will get to do the report - she said she would speak to me first and if possible would like to see the private report. a few days later she phoned to ask if she could use my two boys as an example of how varying NHS OT services are as they are trying to commision sensory intregration and wanted to use my boys as an example of how one child gets OT as he is being seen for hypermobility and the other boy has been refused due to sensory intregration which the NHS here do not commision

You can send a letter to the LA Inclusion Officer, with the NHS OT copied in, and put all that in writing ie. that your independent OT visited his school because it is in that environment that his anxiety is at its highest, and that it is therefore sensible and logical to carry out the assessment there.

Comment again about how he bit his toes until they bleed [as reported in the OT report?].

As OT is about how the child reacts 'in the environment', it is absolutely essential that he is assessed in the environment that is causing him the problems.

And therefore request that the NHS OT assesses there [get the teacher to agree to that also if possible].

Then you have that to submit as your evidence also ie. that he was not assessed in school.

Do you think he will agree to go to the NHS OT where they want to assess him?

Also regarding your husband, remember at any meeting don't let them get you talking about 'what you want'. They will keep doing this in the hope that you will ask for something they can provide and then they can say they are doing what the parent wishes.

Say at the meeting that the school has said and confirmed in writing[?], that they cannot meet his needs, and so can the LA suggest any other school as suitable for your child so that you can go and visit it.

So it is not about what you want, it is about what your son needs as highlighted in reports, as confirmed by his school. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. What is their advice. How do they intend to reintroduce him into a school that he is so anxious about that he repeatedly vomits whilst there? That is what you need them to say. Because they have nowhere and nothing to offer. So keep pushing them to say what they intend to do. If they ask you, say "I thought this meeting was about you professionals telling me what you intend to do."

Get the meeting minuted, or get a dictaphone. I used two, so that you and the LA can have a copy on the same day. If you cry, stay in the room and have the crying on tape. Then type it all up and submit the minutes and tape as evidence.

Edited by Sally44

just been into drop joe off at school and the class teacher and head teacher were waiting for me. class teacher was so upset about what happened yesterday that she has obviously spoken to the head late last night. the head is furious. i didnt realise whilst i was out of the room the the lea boss said that she wasnt aware that there was evidence in the papers - the class teacher asked what she meant and listed down all of the things of the boss said - all of these documents were sent to the lea on 1st june. the head has sent several emails to the lea this morning and has reaffirmed that they cannot meet his needs -at was she has also highlighted that they already have all of the evidence they need and she wants to be at the meeting on friday. she has made it clear that the sen officer is not telling teh boss the true story about joe and his needs. i think the sen officer has been very economical as to what she has said to her boss. the boss yesterday had no idea about what was in the paperwork although was quick to say there was no evidence so feeling more positive today as the school are fighting as much as we are and are as upset as what we are. class teacher gave me joes report this morning - he is behind in all academic areas and this is the child that could be gifted.

think he will go to the OT place - but i know the report will not be as detailed. i will do the letter after fridays meeting re OT seeing him school which means that if they want to do it then its going to be sept at least if they agree so its a long time ahead unless they do somehow manage to do it by next thurs and OT agree to come to school. i dont know yet who the NHS OT is - i have an idea but will need it .confirming for the LEA who they are using

Edited by bjkmummy

Ask the school for a copy of those emails/letters to the LA.

If they say they cannot give them to you, just wait until you have lodged your appeal, and about a month after that send in a Freedom of Information Act Search request to school, LA, NHS etc to get everything they have on file. But do not mention this now, because it will warn them and they could stop making incriminating file notes if they think you will be requesting a copy of them.