Bluesbreaker

require a legal aid solicitor fast.

Hi all,

long time no see.

I ended up with a job at an agency recently working for NatWest. I resigned last week from the RBS assignment as it was far too stressful and affecting my health. The agency are keen to help me and we have no problems there.

My bar job was part time and was at a venue in Leicester for the local council and I loved that job ever so much. When I started RBS i notified them of the arrangement and there have been some issues. RBS had me contracted so I could work whatever shift whatever day at a drop of a hat notice. this caused some problems when cancelling shifts at my bar job as apparently the main manager says that I wasn't giving them the statutory 7 days notice. anyways. There was an email exchange between me and said manager, which I still have and I basically said to him that he was being unfair and that his man management skills left something to be desired. he doesn't understand my issues and doesn;t treat everyone fairly.

My parents and I have spoke and the lovely agency lady knows as well now (Had to let them know so they can help find me more work but I am left now with NO income at all) and the manager had a meeting today with me and effectively fired me. needless to say I have had a ******g **** day today and feel as lost as ever. I feel a lot worse now than i did at the beginning of the week. this is not helping my depression. as far as we can tell, it is possible that the manager has broken about 7 laws/clauses in laws, some of those relating to the Disabilities equality act.

I really need some help and legal advice, I am not doing this for money, I am doing this for the Justice of Myself and others like me. the problem is I am trying to get into contact with the Citizens advice Bureau and they are not open today so feel very lost right now. me and mum will go through my contract tonight and see what's there but still I want to know where I stand.

I don't know myself. And many employers today now require that your change your hours with less than 24 hours notice to fit in with their requirements.

Maybe you should only be doing one part time job, especially if you have other issues such as depression going on. And if the other job was requiring you to change your hours, could you not have refused it? Or dropped that job and kept the bar one?

Was the bar manager made aware of your diagnosis? And were you aware of the need to notify them of changes to your schedule at the bar? Usually employers have a 'disciplinary' procedure which requires a verbal warning, then a written warning etc before someone is fired, unless they have done something that is a cause for instant dismissal. Were you on a trial period?

Might not have helped when you pointed out to the manager his lack of skills! Especially if he has the power to fire you.

I would say wait until Monday. Go down to CAB yourself or with your mum. Take your contracts of employment with you and talk through the issues with them.

They might advise that you write in to your employer and could help you with the wording of that letter.

Do you still want to work at this bar if you do not get on with the manager?

Edited by Sally44

Be nice just to have a job! lol.

Yes, they were aware of the Diagnosis from Day 1

There has been nothing written at all which is very strange. it has all been verbal.

I could not revoke the hours at the agency job which was full time.

the part time job alone doesn't bring in enough money, in mind my wages are now helping support mum and dad, times are tough, things aren't easy but that goes for everyone.

Probably work at another bar, I am after this for the justice.

If you work over 16 hours you should be able to claim disabled tax credits for either Aspergers or depression or both. My sister gets this because she works and has learning disabilities.

Or if not DWTC, you should be eligible for Income Support.

If you have a diagnosis of Aspergers and depression and are on low income you may also be entitled to council tax benefit.

I think it maybe worth you having a benefits check to make sure you and your parents are claiming what they are entitled to.

And I hope you find another job

Edited by Sally44

I would not recommend getting confrontational about it - the legal process is weighted pretty heavily in favour of the employer in all cases.

If you go to a solicitor the levels of stress you will experience will vastly outweigh and possible benefits. They may well have broken the rules, but that does not always result in a good outcome for the (ex) employee

The best advice is either to try to negotiate with your manager - pointing out that you have given up the other part time job - or possibly talk to his manager or the HR department (if these is one). The chances of this being successful are moderate at best but at least you will have everything resolved in a short period of time and you can get on.

From what you've said, it doesn't seem to me to be a question of diability discrimination. If you were taking on shifts at another job and cancelling your shifts at the bar at short notice then that would have been problematic for the bar manager as he would have had to find someone to cover your shifts at short notice and might have ended up leaving him short staffed because of it. If you needed to give a certain amount of notice before changing your shifts, and you didn't do that and did not turn up at shifts with little or no notice given, leaving them short-handed, then I don't see where the manager was being unreasonable.

~ Mel ~

The only other thing I would add is that any 'agency' is looking to get their fee for finding employees for companies. Their priority is not about you balancing another job and meeting the other jobs requirements for hours/shifts/notification of changes of hours etc.

And so I think finding out if you would be eligible for disabled tax credits if you had any job over 16 hours is worth looking at, because if you are eligible you will get extra money for working less hours, and if you are also dealing with depression you don't need the added stress of trying to keep down two jobs.

I think the whole family needs a benefits check and advice from somewhere like CAB.