Sign in to follow this  
shamu

Help needed - annual review on Thurs....

I haven't been around for what seems like forever, and I feel bad coming here begging for help at the last minute but things have become so impossible I need some hand holding and help to get through the next week...

In a nutshell, we have reached the point where we are requesting a residential placement for our son. He is 8 and a half, extremely low functioning (around 12-24 month equivalent), very active (probable ADHD but failed a trial of Ritalin), requires continuous and constant suoervision at home and in the community, effectively non verbal, not toilet trained and making very limited progress at the LEA SLD school. We believe he will benefit from a waking day curriculum and our Paed agrees as does an independent psychologist. School believe they are fully meeting his educational needs, but no attempt had been made to address the wider picture - we have a 6 year old and an 18 month old and we believe their safety is out at risk when ds is at home with only one adult. His sleep patterns are erratic and we are exhausted, I haven't been able to return to work following maternity l eave as I work shifts and in frontline emergency work, we have no family support locally and have a social care package that doesnt cover the hours where we have three children to be carer, let alone provide any meaningful respite....

Has anyone any pointers of the key issues to raise at annual review that act as deal breakers in our request for residential placement? We believe that ds now needs a waking day curriculum, provided n a asd specific environment but I'm worried that they'll ask us to back up our request with solid evidence....

I'm falling apart under the strain as we have a huge battle with social services going on at the same time so any help will be gratefully received. They don't seem to understand that the last thing I would do is send my beautiful boy away to "get rid" of him but that's what social services believe and I'm petrified education are going to say the same...

Huge sympathy for the situation you find yourself in, firstly. Until I read the last sentance of your post, I would have suggested getting social services involved, but it seems they already are. What is their take on things, as I would have thought they would be the best people to turn to when struggling, but maybe I'm wrong! I would stress your fears about the safety of your other two children at your meeting and don't hold back when explaining to them how much of a struggle daily life is. I would also raise concerns about dealing with your son's needs as he grows older and bigger, whilst also trying to care for a toddler. Sorry, I'm sure that's not too helpful, but I did want to make some response. Really hope your meeting goes well and good luck with the decision.

~ Mel ~