ThinkingMe

Natural remedies for anxiety - help!!

Does anyone know any natural remedies for anxiety...

I've been looking up anxiety medication and it just doesn't look

like something I want to persue, plus looks like you can't drink alcohol?

I have a drink a few times a week and - maybe it doesn't help with anxiety long-term

but it sure does in the short term!

Anyway, my anxiety is so through the roof, I feel like I'm

about to pass out sometimes, the feeling is so overwhelming.

I need help with this, I don't know what to do :(

You could try Kalms, blue box, you can buy them in quite a few places and they didn't have any side effects when I tried them a few years ago - and I know someone who drinks valerian tea (which I think is totally gross) although people also use that in tablet form, I think it's supposed to help with sleep too.

I've tried St John's Wort, Kalms and Rescue Remedy and didn't find (for me) that they had much effect really...

I've cut back on caffeine in general, limiting coffees mostly to waking myself up in the morning or a treat when out and switching to Redbush and Camomile teas, especially closer to bedtime. It helped being pregnant when one is advised to cut back on caffeine!

Also (sorry), I found that limiting alcohol helped to lower my own anxiety levels because booze does have a depressant effect and will limit the good any other anxiety-reducing drink will offer...

:)

I think that if you are feeling like that that you may need to see your GP.

Most medication allows you to have the occasional social drink, and your GP can advise on that. And I also think a visit to the GP is worthwhile if you are using alcohol to try to take the edge of the anxiety.

I'm on anxiety medication at the moment due to my son's ASD and OCD driving him [and us] up the wall. And it is not the answer, but it is helping to cope whilst we are getting his symptoms and his anxieties dealt with. I don't intend to be on medication for over 6 months, and I would want to see him reducing his medication within 12 months if possible.

So I would say try it. The first medication did not help my son at all. The second seems to be working.

You should always start on a low dose, as there are lots of experiences of those on the spectrum needing lower doses, so talk to your GP about the lowest dose to start on, and usually you increase the dosage every 2 weeks.

Anxiety is something I am also looking into as I do not want to be on the chemical lobotomy forever and so with my research I am understanding fish oil is helpful at killing anxiety, not any old fish oil, but high epa and dla fish oil. Have a search and see what you find.