Sign in to follow this  
sawjd

SNA support

Hello everyone,

I cannot honestly believe that you do not have to be qualified to be a SNA.

Our k is still having trouble on odd days and is now feeling sick at school. This is difficult for me because i think its him being over anxious that is making him sick when events are going on in school that he has not been told about. The statement he has is not in place as its still in draft.

They have offered 10 hours and its not one to one, and they have employed a part time teacher who doubles up as a school meals supervisor. This person has recently gone on a course (one day) and now is to be employed as a full time SNA.

I am fuming because of all the lies that are being told now to cover the schools position.

I emailed the senco and asked a couple of questions like is the SNA going to be full time. I also wanted to know what training courses they have gone on as the senco said two teachers have gone on training for a couple of days. The senco replied and said the following

I can confirm there will be a SNA full time. I cannot guarantee that she will be with k one to one but k is one of three children who are statemented. I myself (this is the senco speaking) have had ASD training IN THE PAST and other teachers have have had first hand experience in teaching children with ASD. Rest assured they are more than qualified as they have been here longer than i have. The new SNA is a school meals supervisor and part time teaching assistant and is she is a full time member of staff and recently did some training as a SNA.

This senco DID NOT MENTION ANY OF HIS PAST TRAINING WHEN HE ATTENDED THE TRIBUNAL WITH THE LEA.

This is why i cannot trust what is being said anymore. Our k has legally one more year at this school. He will be 11 next september. We are stuck. He needs a school with a unit attached but there is none here in this borough until he is 11 as there is only one secondary provision with a unit. Our k plays with a couple of kids and i am worried about moving him again, what do we do, is this a case of tough love where we move him because its what he needs not want he wants. HIs reading is fine not worried about that its his maths and literacy. He refused to go in school the other day and complained of having a headache so he could miss Big Writing, he says no one is giving him help , the school have not given ks school (end of year report) yet all the children have been given theirs.

What can we do now, is solicitors the answer ?. We have visited a special school and this would provide him with what he needs but it lacks the social integration and i think k would find it a struggle as he would be the most competent there having said that it would boost his self esteem amazingly as he is telling us and keeps telling us he is the second most dumbest in the class. I have never been so torn over anything like this. Our k is constantly thinking that if his toilet secret is found out he cannot attend the school. What do we do now ?. with regards, sarni.

These are probably in-house LA training days. Ask what ASD specific 'qualifications' his teacher, or any of the teaching staff have on top of their teaching qualification and ask how long this training was, who organised it, and did it result in any kind of qualification.

This is the usual type of training staff have. For children in mainstream this should be enough. But when you have a child that is not coping mainstream, then they need staff that are qualified. If this is the best that the school can do, and it isn't meeting his needs, then he needs a different school. Is that what you are after?