merlin1

Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Has anyone tried this?

Have been doing some reading and it says that an improvement in behaviours and some aggression can be gained by taking these supplements. My son was presrcibed Risperadol but we decided against it as my mum is diabeticand it can raise blood sugar, but also the side effect list was horrendous and scary. He has aggresive outbursts and is very physical in this. Just need to know if anyone has had success with vitamin supplements. Thanks

vitamin B6 and magnesium is in most foods, plus the quality will be no were near as good as whats naturally occurring in food. i took zma when i was a nieve teenager which is a "test booster" made up of zinc magnesium and B6, only thing i noticed was my wallet getting thinner. eating plenty of meat, grains, dairy, and veggies will have you completley covered, as these foods are drenched in magnesium and B6.

What is his diet like? Are you off gluten and dairy?

http://autism.healingthresholds.com/therapy/vitamin-b6-and-magnesium

I've taken b6 and magnesium. The b6 can help with a magnesium deficiency and also with musclular pain.

i heard at a conference a few months ago that 95% of challenging behaviour can be helped with a course

of OTC pain medicaitons.

Taurine helps with mag deficiency as well. 5htp canhelp with sleeping at night.

Omega 3 takes about 12 weeks to work and can help with most types of depression, Your son could have

angry depression are you totally against meds?

thanks for the replies. His diet is not good and varied as he only eats certain things, so i think he does need a top up. He does like milk so i've changed to lacto free milk. I'd be interested to hear what otc medication is supposed to work with aggression. He sleeps fine at night so thats not a problem. He is just 12 and his hormones i think are kicking in. He is big and strong and is bigger than me. I am willing to try this as i have read some things that it helps, but its getting the dosage correct. What is Taurine?

I would rather try thenatural stuff . We were also told by the psychologist that there was nothing else she could offer for aggression apart from the Risperadol.

I think that there is some research that says that fish oils can also help to remain calm. I think it saw some documentary on TV about it where they measured the reactions of different people in different jobs before/after taking fish oils. Boots do a good high concentrate one.

But as well as diet, I think you need to work on a behavioural approach too. Ie. if he gets upset he needs to go to his bedroom for xx minutes to calm down. Don't use this as a punishment. What you are trying to teach is when he is getting mad or upset, that he needs to remove himself to a quiet calm place until he calms down. Because as you probably already know, when in that heightened state, the last thing you need to do is to try to get into a conversation about it. So very short simple language eg. "I can see you are very upset. Go to your bedroom to calm down." Then after 10 minutes ask him if he has calmed down. When he is calm, then you can talk through the issue.

What my son's OT told me, which is interesting, is that 'deep pressure' is calming. So if the child/adult is upset/angry and the response to that is to restrain, that restraining action gives the child/adult the deep pressure sensation that helps them calm down. That then becomes a habit, and may even encourage aggression because the person is seeking the reaction to that aggression of the calming restraint. So you need to replace it with something else like pushing against a wall, bouncing on a trampette etc.

vitamin B6 and magnesium is in most foods, plus the quality will be no were near as good as whats naturally occurring in food. I took zma when I was a naive teenager which is a "test booster" made up of zinc magnesium and B6, only thing i noticed was my wallet getting thinner. eating plenty of meat, grains, dairy, and veggies will have you completely covered, as these foods are drenched in magnesium and B6.

That would depend on how able you are to absorb nutrients from food. I need extra magnesium and b12 from supplements, magnesium taurate helps me sleep along with the muscle pain. Extra magnesium along with vitamin C helps me erm......do a number 2.

Sally44 thanks for mentioning about fish oils and being calm, encourages me to continue taking them, also they can be a cheap form of antidepressant. I happen to be someone who reacts paradoxically to medications making it hard to find meds that work.

Bit confused by the pressure seeking behaviours though, a weighted vest would provide the sensory input and the child/adult could be encouraged to use the item when distressed. When I'm distressed being reminded to use my weighted vest, asking what I last had to eat and when, asking if I've taken my supplements, asking to see my *communication cards (I will flick through them and find the appropriate situation) and once those have been eliminated the other person asking 'have I said something to upset you?' I am trying to get into the habit of asking the very same question when i get a response from someone that is unexpected (or upsetting to both parties).

* www.stickmancommunications.co.uk ....

...these are wallet shaped cards on a keyring that have a range of phrases on them to aid communication. If you can get your child/adult to pick the cards themselves as they may be unable to communicate certain needs to you a bit like Mandapandas son mentioning the plastic plate was lighter and me suggesting it could be pain related. That is due to having the same situation myself and also hearing an enlightening lecture at university about 95% of challenging behaviour is pain related. If someone in pain had a card saying 'im annoyed at my pain not you' or 'excessive grumpiness likely' that they could show (a bit like PECS but with more advanced phrases) it would aid communication.

Gone is the myth that autistics are unable to feel pain, we just dont know how to express pain. In fact there is a disability where the patient is unable to feel pain, 'chronic insensitivity to pain' unsure if this is a severe form of SPD/SID.

Edited by trekster

thanks for the replies. His diet is not good and varied as he only eats certain things, so I think he does need a top up. He does like milk so I've changed to lacto free milk. I'd be interested to hear what otc medication is supposed to work with aggression. He sleeps fine at night so that's not a problem. He is just 12 and his hormones I think are kicking in. He is big and strong and is bigger than me. I am willing to try this as I have read some things that it helps, but its getting the dosage correct. What is Taurine?

I would rather try the natural stuff . We were also told by the psychologist that there was nothing else she could offer for aggression apart from the Risperadol.

If he's addicted to milk then lacto free milk will be ineffective in fact all types of animal milk (also oat and gluten containing non animal milks) would be ineffective. He could have hidden pain that he's unable to express. Prune juice or orange juice can help with the constipation. If you could find a milk free pain medication and see if him taking it for a week helps that could solve the problem. I strongly disagree about being able to get all the nutrients you need from food, although I accept it can work for some.