rosieshy

Hello- new here

Hi Im Rosie, 27 soon to be 28 and have undiagnosed Aspergers or some sort of ASD. ive read luke jacksons "freak, geeks and aspergers" (At 24yrs old)and also rudy Simones "Aspergirls"( just this year. and comes highly recommended for us females)...Both books described me completely from 2- 27 and i found rudys book prticularly insightful as ASD not asrecognised in females. i was always called "loner" at school because i enjoyed my own compay - still do- and never thought anything of it. it commented on by teachers annually. my mum touht my "quirks" including 'talking in conversation to somone but nobody else was physically in the room' was 'me being me' cos im an only one so she had no one to compare to as i was always around adults, didnt like peers company. Now I've realised i do have psychic sensitivities/tendancies.

to be honest i find it fascinating not to mentioning relieving to have a name for something i thought was 'not normal' about me and was made to feel not right/odd because of it by teachersand peers that had next to no knowledge of autism and none whatsoever of aspergers!. ive always known i was well bit odd. there was no mention of asds in the 80s with me. its only through myown research of last few years that I have realised what i have. my mum only realised herself when i was 22 because she used to work in the local hospital as a secretary in childrens ward and there was more n more kids coming through with ASD diagnosis and my mum kept thinking "omg, Rosie used to do that. and she did this" and she never ever mentioned it to the paediatrcians because she thought it was me being me cos she's had no other kids to compare me to. To me though, reading both books, and reading up om it via the net, it all makes sense now. it felt like a weight lift off my shoulder.

i have asked my gp and she said its possible aspergers/asd but there isnt a professional in our area to diagnose adults. to be honest it isnt the label that would bother me - i already have 5 to my name nedically so its not gonna make much difference- just the explanation of it to those who dont know the difference etween HFA/Aspergers and ASD. Because, as i found out recently at a open public meeting fot adults on ASD to improe services locally, a few of the people i work with, their 18/19year ol kids have it - and they were really surprised to see mthere. "i never knew or realised cme their remark" (probably because im ok-good at making eye contact but not great ont he social side(i dont speak until someone speaks tome :wacko:...does that sound strange to you?)and i thought to myself "well no you woudnt would you?! i mean it IS invisabale :rolleyes:;) ". i didnt say that of course but i sure as hell thought it.

i look forward to gettting to know you and finding out more infomation/experiences.:D

Rosie

welcome im in my early 30s and tend to get stuck after the "hello been up to anything interesting lately?" part of the conversation.

great your mum accepts you for who you are. my mum doesnt and shes more autistic than me.

today is 1 year since my hms diagnosis and im still processing what that means so have some idea what your going through.

Hello I'm new here too. I just received my "official" asperger's diagnosis.