Sign in to follow this  
Sa Skimrande

What's everyone's experience regarding diagnosis ?

College was happy with the diagnosis, and I know why, it absolved tutors of blame at poor performance and released funding to help the student, including employment opportunities.

My GP was different, he was not interested and skeptical of the diagnosis until NHS's own experts confirmed that of a mere private educational psychologist and that I understand as the conflict between the NHS and private, also the hierarchy issues between the elder field of psychiatry and the new upstart cult of psychology, also for the fact that adults there is no funding so no help the diagnosis is useless as I understand with the NHS if there isn't funding and treatment, they are not interested.

But curious, education are positive and healthcare are negative, but I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to plain old money, where anything is only useful if money can be made via it.

I am not sure of your history, but you may have rushed to judge the college. Many people with autism require additonal support which costs money to provide, and a diagosis often unlocks funding, but I am not sure it is fair to say they like it because it absolves tutors from blame.

Our experiences with out local NHS, CAMHS etc. have been positive, but in any areas people have been less lucky. That said, things may get more difficult as our Autistic Children reach adulthood. The squeeze on resources (especially in a recession) makes things more difficult but there are many good and caring people out there too.

Simon