Sign in to follow this  
big mamma

melatonin

Eagerly awaited my 3mg melatonin wonder tablets in the ever diminishing hope of actually getting a night's kip. Junior was given her first dose on tues night and it definitely helped her wind down to sleep HOWEVER she was up 8 times during the night with what seemed like vivid dreams.

Wed night - again it helped her wind down but she was wide awake at 1am saying she didn't feel sleepy and was it daytime ? Gave her a drink of milk with another 3mg but it had no effect and she didn't sleep until 4.30 am and was up again at 6am.

Last night she went to bed at 10pm and was up again at 1am and didn't go back to sleep until 7.30 am this morning. She then slept for 4 hours !

It appears to have unregulated her body clock rather than the other way round.

I'm so disappointed I could weep - has anyone else's kid reacted like this ?

It doesn't keep my son asleep but it gets him off to sleep as long as he goes to bed within an hour of taking it, I had to move his bedtime forward when he started on it, he also wakes earlier, but he is usually in a much better mood the following day when he takes it

EEEk! This wasn't the best post for me to look at then........ Paediatrician is sending me a prescription for melatonin to try and do something with my almost 3 year old.

Off to read all the others, but I have given up on miracles.

Nikki.

Hi,

My son was prescribed melatonin just over 6 months ago. We were given the "slow release" ones to start with. They seemed to work for a while but then he was back to waking up in the night and staying up!

Last month we were given the "quick release" ones and despite a few bad nights overall they have worked. I give J 3 at the same time - I did try 2 to start with and then 1 if he woke up but that didn't work.

hope this helps

Dx

Sam only ever sleeps 4 hours in 24...melotonin helped by clustering all his 20 minutes together into one four hour block BUT it did not happen over night and took over 12 months for him to settle into 'sleep' mode. Upping the dose did not make him sleep longer he just got more ermm...manic instead.

4mg was the right dose for him.

Now he is settled into those 4 hours he no longer takes it.

For some it works well for others it does not and for some like sam it gives them a sleep pattern even if its horter than any parent would want! :hypno: