Lyndalou

Nexplanon

Has anyone had experience of using the Nexplanon (next generation following on from Implanon), the contraceptive implant?

I currently have this rod pumping hormones through my body and I'm not sure I made the right decision. Although it may quite simply be a mixture of stress and other factors, I have found my mood swings since the procedure to be much more erratic than normal.

I tried to make an informed choice about what contraceptive would be most suitable for me at my age. I have had trouble with extreme mood swings on certain pills - something other people also told me they experienced but the GP said they'd never heard of - plus my memory was an issue in that I kept forgetting to take them! Since my son's birth I have developed an allergy to latex - nuff said - and I was told that my preferred choice, the Deprovera injection was not given to women over the age of 35. The depo evened my moods out completely and was a great contraceptive choice for me.

Unfortunately, I have now read that 'they' have absoutely no idea what the long term effects of having the Nexplanon implanted is, eg. whether the risks for cancer etc are increased. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling....

Yes. It's implanted in the upper arm and lasts for up to 5 years. I suppose I never considered the mood swings issue but I've had all of the above you've mentioned and in fact the cramps are worse than I ever normally get! I'm wondering if I could have low blood pressure too? Oh to not have to muck about with my body like this but the worse scenario would be becoming pregnant again! :unsure:

anymore good news?

Unfortunately the practice of using human guinea pigs for live clinical trials for new drugs/products etc has been going on for many decades. Lyndalou is right to be concerned as it will only be a matter of time until the long term effects (if any) come to light. In my personal humble opinion, anything that interferes with normal physiological function is not good - especially when there's a profit to be made for the drug companies.

There are always side effects with any drugs - one has to be savvy so that informed choices can be made. Does the benefit of treatment outweigh the side effects or do the side effects outweigh the treatment? Only Lyndalou can decide this for herself, listen to people that she knows has had this implant and...listen to her body.

Thanks Robert. The long term effects do worry me somewhat. There's all manner of different health issues in my family including stroke, heart disease, thyroid problems, diabetes, osteoporosis/osteoarthritis and cancer (those who have passed away died of bone cancer). I have chosen not to give my daughter the MMR as she has a peanut allergy and excema combined with the family health history and given there also seems to be a genetic component to autism...at the moment she seems distinctly NT...only time will tell if I've made the right decision there too.

However, in a sense I think that I've mucked about with my body for so long that whatever is for me around the corner is inevitable but I don't want to do that to my kids! Kind of off topic but I think my decisions impact on my children....

I do wish the government and pharmaceutical companies would be more upfront that they don't really know what most of the stuff we put in our bodies does to us but that's never going to happen, is it?

I do wish the government and pharmaceutical companies would be more upfront that they don't really know what most of the stuff we put in our bodies does to us but that's never going to happen, is it?

Actually, the government and pharmaceutical companies collude and know exactly what we are putting into our bodies (and what the chemicals do) but you're right, they will never ever be upfront about it. The pharmaceutical companies thrive on sick people - they make no money from healthy people. Sad fact I'm afraid

You are probably right although it is something that I just can't get my head around, that people can be so deceitful and manipulative in pursuit of the mighty pound/dollar etc... :(

Did you see on the news that the 'Advertising Standards Agency' has made the website 'Babyjabs' withdraw a statement that the MMR may possibly contribute to 10% of autism cases. They said it was 'misleading'. Can't help but think that the Government may have a hand in this 'independent' organisations decision? :unsure:

Lyndalou as a bloke I want to put my own perspective on this. For a number of years I was happy that my girlfriend took responsibility for the contraception in 'our' relationship. When she started to develop mild medical problems it was a bit of a wake up call. I took a hard look at myself and came to the conclusion that this was one area in my life I should take responsibility for my actions.

At that point we swoped from putting drugs into her system and the side effects that came with them, to me simply putting on a condom. In the years which have followed where I have had a perfectly satisfactory sex life we have had one accident where my partner made the decision to go to the chemist the next morning and get a 'morning after pill' just in case, not too difficult really and on the balance of things an all round sensible decision.

If you asked the guys on the forum here what they would choose to do to have inplants under their skin or to remember to have some condoms nearby and if there wasn't to abstain from one element of love making how many would opt for the implant?

Lyndalou my advice get the thing removed and put the responsibility where it should be with the guy in your relationship and by doing so secure your own health.

Just a thought.

My sister had the implant and has subsequently had it removed. She gained weight uncontrollably, and is only losing it again since removal, she had back-to-back periods and was generally unwell. The nurse who removed it thought she was being ridiculous, because apparently most people do not have the side-effects, but my sister does not readily jump to conclusions and is quite analytical in her approach to life, so I have no reason to doubt that it was the implant that caused her symptoms. She's 19, and had the implant in for about 5 months, I think, always imagining that things would improve. Sorry, that's not great news, is it?

Sorry I missed the latex point but Darkshine you are right I think in a stable relationship I would feel a vasectomy might be an appropriate line of action. I think the point about the responsibility not totally lying with the female is still valid.

Sorry I missed the latex point but Darkshine you are right I think in a stable relationship I would feel a vasectomy might be an appropriate line of action. I think the point about the responsibility not totally lying with the female is still valid.

I think your point is valid :)

My doctor offered me a new type of coil which has less problems than trad coils - a kind of coil/hormone hybrid thing. Might be an option. Just wish I could remember the name of it. But it would be less permanent than snips of any kind.

I looked at all the options available before I settled on this one. Must admit, the coil didn't appeal but I'm uncertain why...think I had some vision of it dislodging and floating around although I know that's not physically possible!!

The big 'V' has been mentioned :o

Comparatively the procedure for a guy is relatively simple and reversible, yeah it'll hurt for a relatively short time, but I do agree with LancsLad here that guys should take responsibility too - and "the big V" is a consideration like anything else...

My sister had these issues (with latex, pills, and other versions of contraceptives) and her hubby did agree to have the procedure done as they had 3 kids and weren't planning on having any more. They decided that cuz a vasectomy can be reversed (not sure about the success rate on that) that the hubby would step up - have to say we all respected him for doing so, a lot of guys would say no without thinking.

and "the big V" is completely unneccersary

i agree, plus are men thick or is it only me that has figured this out? theres more than one place to put it! if pregnacy is a recurring problem, stop c****ing in womans vaginas, beacuse it obviously isnt working for you. there are so many places on a woman that can be used for pleasure, some that are actully better, so i think its up to men to be a bit more creative.

sorry lyndalou and to other women for my slightly vulgar post, but i just had to make my point. hope i havent caused offense.

My offence is at you editing my quotes again to make it sound like I said something totally different - seriously dude - that is annoying as hell!!! :P

Vasectomies are not unnecessary, and compared to a hysterectomy (which is a invasive and more complicated procedure) it's actually pretty simple...

Family guy did a song - youtube it for a reminder (family guy vasectomy song) works as search terms ;)

Speaking of Family Guy.... if someone does decide that they don't want more kids and that they also want to have sex... This is a good reason for contraceptive or surgical options...

The fact is, if you wanna have penetrative sex (and people seem to like that) then something is required to prevent pregnancy... which I believe is why Lynda asked about the contraceptive she asked about in the first place :rolleyes:

lol you can either withdraw, or use a condom (latex free if needs be) either way, ive managed to avoid screeming babies so far.
Withdraw? Reckon things have gone your way so far, coz I don't think that's a, erm, watertight method.

Withdraw? Reckon things have gone your way so far, coz I don't think that's a, erm, watertight method.

lol bit of a joke that one, not only is it not a water tight method, its an awful method :lol:

I don't take offence to your comments Warrior but if you don't mind me saying so, it does give your age away somewhat.

I had to have a wee chuckle when you say you've avoided screaming babies so far! I've got a fair few years on you and I can tell you as a woman, no matter how careful you are, sooner or later you have an accident (or two or three). That's why a lot of women choose to go on the pill or use some other method of contraception other than the condom if they are in a long term relationship.

The thing is, you've mentioned what appear to be casual sexual encounters. If it's a one-off thing when you've come home from a club and fooled around and been 'creative' and you've perhaps not given it a second thought afterwards, I can assure you that there will be a percentage of your partners who will worry themselves witless after, wondering if they've been careful enough and looking at the calender and asking themselves when their last period was. They might just hop on the bus down to the nearest chemist after they've left your house and buy the morning after pill and how are you to know unless they tell you? I knew a man some years ago who slept with any woman with a pulse. He denied responsibility for at least one child and the poor mother was slagged off all over the place and called a 'slut' and an 'ugly whore' (yes, this still happens!!) until the results of a DNA test provided irrefutable proof!

This is the thing, even in this day and age if a woman does not make decisions like this quite often the end result is a baby. You, as a man could easily walk away and there's no guarantee you'd stick around but the woman can't!

I don't take offence to your comments Warrior but if you don't mind me saying so, it does give your age away somewhat.

i do lace most of my posts with humor, i think it gets missed sometimes, i apologise. things get pretty crazy in my real world, sometimes i forget some pepole are being serious. i guess the jist of my posts without the humor is theres more to sex than just the obvious, i know many men that can live without one if they get the other, and im pretty sure the same is true for women.

Lyndalou - take it out.

I had norplant which was one of the first implants out in the market - they wouldn't take it out for 5 years. And I mean wouldn't - apparently feeling suicidal one moment and insanely happy the next wasn't a good enough reason. I also went from a size 10 to a size 16 in a year and a half.

With the pill, or the jag you can stop taking them, with the implants it's a lot more difficult and it takes ages to adjust back.

I ended up on microgynon once my hormone levels were back to their normal state and that regulated my periods.

Found out I couldn't have kids 6 months later - hows that for ironic?

Contraceptives are a funny thing - what works fine for one woman will have another screaming at the walls.

However, from one woman to another - I do think you should have it removed.

Also - since when did men become experts on what's best for women? Are we in Arizona? :P

Also - since when did men become experts on what's best for women? Are we in Arizona? :P

I take offence at this comment

Where did I ever say I was an expert about what's best for women...???? And what other men on here said they were experts?

(Some) men are not completely dumb you know....I do happen to know a few things...

Lyndalou asked a question and I (and others) have offered our opinions

And I do happen to work in medicine....so yes, I do know a few things (but am only an expert in my particular field)

Honestly no offense intended - it was supposed to be a joke. Hence the smiley at the end. So I apologise for upsetting you.

However as I recall didn't you say in a previous post you worked in HR or something like that? I may be wrong but I don't remember you saying you were a doctor? I'm genuinely not trying to be cheeky, just asking for clarification!

I think I'm veering towards taking the implant out. Matzoball, it sounds like you had an awful time with it and Darkshine, it also sounds like it really didn't agree with your sister :( .

I'm probably 'luckier' than many other women as I don't get the terrible bleeding but the yo-yoing moods are quite frightening. I got quite angry and upset yesterday but it's hard to know if it's just that I was having a terrible day or if the Nexplanon exacerbated it! That's the thing...it's hard to chart my moods and the reasons for them if I don't know if it's hormonal, sensory or anything else!! :wacko:

I also don't know if paranoia is increased with the implant too but I'm quite paranoid on my own anyway so I'd rather not be any more than I 'need' to be! :ph34r:

Honestly no offense intended - it was supposed to be a joke. Hence the smiley at the end. So I apologise for upsetting you.

However as I recall didn't you say in a previous post you worked in HR or something like that? I may be wrong but I don't remember you saying you were a doctor? I'm genuinely not trying to be cheeky, just asking for clarification!

No problem, I'll forgive you. :) Guess I didn't "get" the fact it was a joke.

No I don't work in HR and I'm definately not a doctor - but I do work in the medical field for various doctors and consultants. I got interested in medicine at school (and my grandma was a medical secretary and lecturer) but because of my difficulties at school, I never got the grades for medical school and it's a bit late for me to start now... Before my present career, I worked alongside clinical psychologists in what was then a mental asylum before this hair-brained idea by the government of "care in the community". I work with patients and treat them and am very fortunate to be privvy to a wide range of medical literature which helps me with various topics of research in things that interest me.

I think I'm veering towards taking the implant out. Matzoball, it sounds like you had an awful time with it and Darkshine, it also sounds like it really didn't agree with your sister :( .

Lyndalou, I hope you can make the right decision with this.

If you do decide to have it removed, remember it's your own body and don't let any professional bully you into keeping it/or tell you that it can't be removed. If the side effects outweigh any benefit then it's a no brainer - get rid of it. :)

Thanks Robert. I appreciate your concern and continue to consider my options! :)

Hi I just had one fitted almost four months ago,after having my daughter now aged 6mths. My story is....my eldest was conceived on the pill(Diane) I was on antibiotics and was not informed it effects the pill (I was 17) I then got pregnant on the injection (which caused vomitting and nausea) when he was a year old but miscarried. I then came to the UK without my husband and so didnt need contraception. When we got together again we planned a baby and I then had Sam. I went back on the pill but once again got pregnant and had Dan. My relationship was getting worse (abusive/controlling) and I was trying to get out, two years after Dan was born I left only to discover I was 5mths pregnant and had Eli.

I remained on my own for three years,when I met my new partner we went to the family planning clinic together had checks and I went on the mini pill (I was told due to my brothers stroke and my dads dvt I could not take the Pill) I got pregnant after just two mths of being together...we used condom to!! Big shock as I was finishing first year of my nursing. Luckily I was taking a year out to sort Sam schooling. Anyway I am now back on my course and so needed something reliable....that I didnt need to remember to take...didnt like the idea of the coil so opted for the implant.

Since I got it I get moody,annoyed over simple things. I am similar to how I was when pregnant which is very annoying. I then got the heavy non stop bleeding so went back after six weeks and got another mini pill which stopped the bleeding. I have really bad acne like a teenager. I have put on weight to cause the implant/hormonal change has caused cravings and hunger that I dont usually get,its awful as I had lost all the weight after my baby and it took just 6weeks. I feel nauseas alot and other symptoms. Part of me wants it out the other doesnt as I cant see an alternative and dont want to get pregnant!