Andynic24

Dealing with Doctors

Hello all,

I am in the Preston area of Lancashire and was wondering what I should do with diagnosis, I am 25 and have struggled with certain social issues/etc all my life, when one of my friends suggested I may have Aspergers I researched it and found it matched almost perfectly my issues.

The issue is over the last year I have been completely fobbed off with doctors over various things, and this is particularly difficult as here on this forum or online I can explain myself well but during a conversation it's insanely difficult or the person comes out of it with the wrong end of the stick (the frustration is enormous when that happens), does anyone have any advice for preparing oneself for this and also what to ask for/request?

Edited by Andynic24

my gp has started the 'ive got other patients to see' line and 'it will involve lots of paperwork there are 3 pages of patients on this waiting list we cant afford it' with me.

im unable to summarise due to my dyslexia also find the really open questions and ambiguity when they speak overloads me. then i shut down unable to leave the doctors office.

im unable to keep track of time even with a double appointment. telephone appointments i can just about manage.

moderators would it be acceptable for gps that members have found beneficial to be pmd to andynic24?

on a pan disability buletin board we had names of useful doctors ie all fields posted on there. this was a mostly american site so usa rules could be different to uk ones.

I read somewhere on here about a person who wrote a checklist about what they wanted to discuss with their doctor and crossed that particular thing out and moved on the the next, I thought that was a good idea.