Sign in to follow this  
peainapod

Buggy

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me ...

Today I went to a physio review with my almost 3 year old autistic daughter (who also has severe learning disabilities). She badly needs a new buggy because she's getting too big and heavy for the kind of buggies you can buy in mothercare etc. She tends to play with the wheels which scares me and she uses her feet as breaks and the rain cover wont cover her anymore.

I read on an autism forum that buggy's are available on the NHS and you get one by going through your physiotherapist.

Lucky we had an appointment today ! I asked the physiotherapist who didn't seem very impressed that I was asking for this. I explained to her that A) because of her severe learning disabilities she walked at the level of a 1 year old so would use the buggy for quite some time, B) I need the buggy, I have an older child too and no car so going out shopping to get groceries, doctors appointments or anything that requires me to go out is impossible without a buggy, C) Safety, my 3 year old is slowly turning into a little Hulk ! Her strength is shocking considering she's only almost 3 and the older she gets the stronger she gets and the easier it'll be for her to get away from me and this scares me as she would happily run into the road.

The physiotherapist first told me that the company no longer gives out buggies (this wasn't true because unknown to her I'd researched it online the night before) so I pushed her what was I expected to do ? She then went to check with her colleague and came back and said she would measure my daughter and apply but that the company can say there's not enough need. I found this ridiculous and to be honest insulting, as if I'd be asking if there wasn't enough need ! I need this buggy so much, I will be housebound if I don't have a buggy and now that she's getting older we need one that is more suitable for her needs than your average stroller. If they come back and tell me no should I take things further ? Would they be wrong to refuse me a buggy ? I know she's not physically disabled and that her 'need' for a buggy is different compared to the 'need' of a physically disabled child but the need is there none the less. I'd be grateful for any advice or if you know of anyone who could advise me that would be great. Sorry if this is in the wrong place ! :)

Hi Peainapod

Do you have any other professionals involved with regard to the care of your daughter? Anyone including a Health Visitor, Psychologist, Paediatrician, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker etc?

Although it is quite different in a sense, I used to work as an Advocacy Worker and there were a few times I had to advocate on the behalf of adults who were in need of various appliances or adaptations to their home due to their various disabilities. Often there were pros and cons regarding the appliances or adaptations requested (including if what was requested was most suitable or if something else would be better) but in order to even start the process there required an 'Assessment of Needs' to be carried out. This was meant to focus on what the person's current needs were but also included an element of future needs (to do with whether or not monies were being used wisely and how long appliances/adaptations would be required).

You would think that if someone could not walk for instance, that it would be a simple case of providing a wheelchair and if someone couldn't access their toilet then their bathroom would be made accessable. However, not so and certainly not in the cases of the people I worked with.

Often professionals can have a subjective view about what a person needs are and perhaps this is what you experienced. This can be based upon previous experiences of working with similar cases or it can be based on personal prejudices and ignorance. It may simply be the case that the Physio you met has no real experience of what the difficulties your daughter, yourself and you as a family experience when you need to do errands and the stress involved in doing so. I have to thnk very carefully about how I go out with my son along to the shop when I have my daughter (in her buggy) as he tends to climb walls and when upset he can run out into the road so I can get to some extent what you are talking about.

However, coming back to my initial question as to whether or not you have input from other professionals... A Health Visitor can refer to Social Work or Paediatrician. Social Work can refer to other services. A Paediatrician can refer to a Psychologist or Occupational Therapist. Your request may require backup in the form of a written report to document the safety concerns you and professionals have. Another professional (I am thinking most likely a Social Worker) could fill in an 'Assessment of Needs' with you which may also highlight other services and help you and your daughter are entitled to.

Best Wishes

Lynda :)