Jericho

Family Fund grants

Hi All!

Yesterday our portage worker sent us some information about the Family Fund. As you may already know, this group "exists to help families...caring at home for a severely disabled or seriously ill child under the age of 16" by "providing grants and information related to the care of the child."

I've looked at their website (www.familyfund.org.uk in case anyone is interested) but have absolutely no idea what we could ask for help with so that we in turn could help Danny.

The most popular requests seem to be for holidays (Danny hates change) or driving lessons (not really practical for us). I was just wondering what other people chose/would choose.

Thanks,

Jericho

After the nightmare of the past few days I think I have finally answered my own question. At the very top of any wish-list will be a request for help in finding a suitable playscheme for Danny in the summer-holidays. If they have any spare money I might even request a bottle of hair dye - to cover up all the grey hairs that are bound to have appeared by the end of the Easter holidays! :o :o

Hi,

Think that's an excellent idea. My son only survived the summer hols because of

the numerous playschemes he went on over a number of years. It gave him the structure and routine that he needed. I tried various ones and found two that were suitable. The one that suited him best was where he chose his activities in the morning for the day in 30 -45 min slots. Are you going to try and get some 1-1 support - it could make all the difference during unstructured breaks etc. Best of luck with it.

Sam

Thanks, Sam. :)

I sent the application form off this morning. If the application is your first then the FF send someone to visit you and assess your family's needs. Apparently they also have a lot of local knowledge about groups and schemes so I'm hoping they'll help me to find a suitable place and perhaps even arrange some 1-1. Alternatively I'd be happy with somewhere suitable for both Danny and his little brother where I could take them and stay with them.

Fingers crossed! :)

I know of this through work.

I applied when my washing machine broke down and we couldn't afford to fix it.

I would have been happy with a repair (�75)

I filled in the form online; at the time I had a job and they told me they would assess us. However, my contract ended and we were on a lower income, so I wrote to tell them. I got a letter back saying they couldn't help.

Lucky I have nice parents, lol

The FF are being very slow processing the applications at the moment.

We have had two holidays, a trampoline, a TV, and travel expenses.

I sent off an application in March for money for a holiday to break up the Summer hols, and money towards a shed so T has somewhere to go away from us all. They took so long (mid July) to send the money that I had trouble finding a holiday, and the shed will not be here til September - oh well...

Karen

How on earth did you manage that? A shed- how wonderful. My daughter would like to get away from us, being in a family of 7- perhaps you could apply for us and ask for a piece of garden big enough to put one on B)

T was getting high rate dla when we first applied, but now gets middle rate.

The lady who came to "assess" us was very nice, and it was she who suggested some of the things that we coudl apply for.

It is always worth applying if you meet the income criteria.

egs they give:

*needs a lot of personal attention or supervision most of the time

*help with getting around

*help with communication

*special help cos of severe behavioural difficulties

look at the web site http://www.familyfundtrust.org.uk/

Karen

hi all! I haven't contributed for a while so when i was browsing i came across this topic.

I recieved a grant on yesterday from the family fund. The girl i spoke to was lovely. I did apply in February though!

Anyway i originally applied before my son had his diagnosis.

When i spoke to the lady i told her all the relevant info ( and remember guys, thinking ofthe worst possible days!) saying now he did have his dx of AS and she was pretty knowledgable on AS (nice change) and it was more of an informal chat really.

Originally i applied for help with a holiday.But we discussed the issues of laundry and do i have adequate washing facilities , is Lewis heavy on his clothes ( Dyspraxic ) do i think theres anything he could benefit from.I said a trampoline so he could vent some of his frustrations. Anyway i recieved a cheque for help with a holiday, money for a trampoline, and for clothing/bedding/shoes and also a voucher for a tumble dryer! I was so surprised. It was lovely to have a result instead of hearing, " We just don't have the funds!!!"

Needless to say i've been frantically searching the net for a cheapo holiday for the four of us.It's much needed as i'm sure all of you can relate to!

B)

we have just had succes from the family fund, i applied in may and have just heard this week, we have been awarded money towards a holiday. we havn't had an assessor come to visit. i did ring to see what was happening with the application a week ago, and i was told applications from april and may had only just been dealt with. so they are quite behind, but getting there!!! the lady i spoke to was very helpful and sure enough it came through with in the two weeks she said.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hello i just got letter back from ff been turned down kyle pdd(nos) but they have said if i apply for the both of them lee adhd they will reconsider they were realy helpfull if slow but the lady who came to see us was a peach i will apply again when i get this ruddy dla out of the way :wacko:

take care

sharon x

I've just applied to the fund for some money towards a holiday. I applied over the internet. The did say that there is a 3-4 month wait though.

When i hear anything i'll let you all know. :whistle:

I applied back in April and finally got a visit from the assessor last week. :hypno: Apparently there is a huge backlog. We've told that it may be another 6 weeks until we find out whether or not we will be awarded anything. :whistle:

Just a quick update to say we have been awarded a washing machine, a tumbledrier, and �200 to help with transport costs. :clap::thumbs:

The whole process seems to take forever but it's worth it in the end. :thumbs:

Hello All, I'm glad to hear that someone has actually heard from and received money from the family fund.

I was getting worried because I had heard nothing in two months. I applied online as well. No confirmation if the application had even been received or if i twas correctly filled in. No indication of any time factor. Looks like that is fairly normal so I'll wait another few months I guess.

Mike

I didn't apply online so didn't get any kind of confirmation for ages. However, they are very quick to reply to e-mails so you might be able to get an answer that way.

I think applications seem to take longer now because the charity is becoming more well known. However when they pay out they seem to do it in style! i know they will contribute to holidays and washing machines and fridges are another popular choice that they seem to view favourably. For anybody out there who works in or in an industry that is allied to the motor trade there is BEN which is the charity for children of workers in the motor industry. A friend whose husband worked for the aa applied and won funding for a vacuum cleaner with filter as her child had terrible asthma. i have heard of the caudwell charitable trust that also gives out funds but have no experience of it i know they have a website

Hi All

Just a quick update. I applied on the 24th October on line and today i have received some forms to fill in, someone from the fund is going to contact me next week.

They seem to be getting through the back log a bit quicker. :)

We had our visit a couple of weeks ago.....just waiting now to see if they can help us.....my buddie from another forum had her interview over the phone the day before I had my visit...made me laugh cus she only lives a 5 min walk from the HO in York!!!!! I live down in sunny Devon and had a home visit!!!!

Buddie got her cheque on Saturday.....so hoping we will be just as lucky.....

They have given her a clothing allowance, bedding allowance, holiday money, money towards a new sofa, travelling expenses and a new dishwasher...... B)

:robbie:

Hello All, Here is an update from my last post in december when I was still waiting for a reply from my online application. The good news is that they did receive it and earlier this late last month we received actual application forms.

We had asked for a fridge/freezer originally. After returning the forms we got a call from a nice girl at th efund asking if there was anything else we needed. How about holidays? We said our lad loves the seaside but caravans are so expensive ... 'No problem' she said, 'Anything else? Does your boy like music, tv etc, we can maybe send money to upgrade his equipment'!!

We received a cheque within 7 days, which included money for a holiday, money to buy videos, CDs etc and a leaflet with a choice of 2 fridge freezers complete with 5 years warranty with the option to choose a completely different one , (as long as we took out a 5 year warranty), and they would provide �300 towards it.

All in all a very good and welcome outcome to it all.

Good luck with all your claims. Long may the family fund continue to assist.

mike

:rolleyes:

Hi. me again!

I didnt even realise you could claim for a grant!. Is it worth me applying for my AS,ADHD son?.

I recon he could really do with one of those alphasmart thingys as his pencil grip is terrible and he finds writing painful.( because of hypermobility)

I get DLA (Middle and lower rate, although that was before the new dx of AS.

so that might have changed) Do they provide grants for that sort of thing?.

I really aint got a clue bout any of it!!!??? :huh:

They won't fund things that are school related (as LEA should be paying for those - ha ha!).

They have a web site that gives more information.

Karen

We had a visit and a chat. The grant paid for new mattress and bedding for one child and some money towards a holiday or family outings. I know washing machines and computers are popular- how about asking for a laptop?!

It is quite a wide variety of things - but not stuff LEA or NHS or SS should provide.

We have had holidays, money towards a TV for T's room, money towards a shed for T, money towards travel expenses, money for play thinsg (a trampoline). If you scroll through this topic, you will find a big variety of things, including driving lessons.

Has anyone applied for money for a computer? How did you word it so it was Ok? For use at home/for leisure? We would all love a better computer.

Karen

Another family fund query? After a disappointing phone call today :( We got a letter a while ago to say that G had been accepted as severely disabled and to fill in a form and send proof of our income etc which I did.

Today they phoned to check that I still wanted the grant for the same things (clothes as G has severe eczema and we spend a lot on special nightwear, gloves etc and driving lessons) then said 'oh I see you're on Incapacity Benefit...', got the calculator out and worked out that the Incapacity Benefit pushed us just over the income level.

But on the website it says the limit is �23000 of income from employment? Dp earns about �250 a week and the rest of our income is made up of child tax credits, child benefit and G's DLA.

Any thoughts or should I let it lie?

It never hurts to ask does it?!

I had help with driving lessons from FF too. They allowed me two theory tests, 30 lessons and two driving tests. They use BSM if anyone is thinking of applying.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Ax

YOU CAN ASK FOR ANYTHING,YOU CAN ASK FOR A COMPUTER,STEREO SYSTEM SOFTWARE MY FRIEND HAD A TRAMPOLINE AND I HAVE JUST APPLIED FOR DRIVING LESSONS

SO EVERYONE LOOK OUT

I got driving lessons - all used up now as I broke my arm (Nemo dropped a shelf on me) just as I was getting ready for the test but because I got the lessons through the family fund I now get reduced price lessons from BSM.

Nearly there again, wish me luck

Zemanski

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, i applied for a grant back in December, but had not heard anything so i e-mailed them again yesterday.

I got a call from them this morning (i was sleeping after a night shift but it was well worth being woken up for!).

They were REALLY nice on the phone. I felt really weird asking them for money, but they did not make me feel like i was "begging" at all.

They offered me �400 towards a garden shed for Kai to keep his hornby set in (bless him), �380 towards a holiday and �120 clothing allowance B) .

I am so pleased i could run up and down the garden screaming, but i'm so kna****ed after being up all night i'll pass on that!

Loulou x