Jericho

Family Fund grants

Yep I just got money for a bed for my son, a new washing machine and full set of driving lessons, applied 3 months back, and after the visit waited only 2 weeks.

The initial wait is an effort, but they do come through.

I have had grants from the FF for a a few years now, we have had:

Driving lessons for me (absolutely fantastic!)

toys

clothing

bedding and beds

flooring for her bedroom (smearing and wetting issues)

washing machine

tumble dryer

holidays

They do accept requests for other things, as long as it fits their criteria and will make a difference to the child or their family in overcoming problems they will consider it, so use your imagination! :thumbs:

'oh I see you're on Incapacity Benefit...', got the calculator out and worked out that the Incapacity Benefit pushed us just over the income level.

But on the website it says the limit is �23000 of income from employment? Dp earns about �250 a week and the rest of our income is made up of child tax credits, child benefit and G's DLA.

Does anyone know exactly what they include in income? Our "earnt income" is way below the �23000 limit but if you add in A's DLA, my carer's allowance and our tax credit we are borderline. If we leave out A's DLA we are still along way below the limit.

Hi Tez, we have our visit tomorrow,and I have the income forms in front of me. When I spoke to the lady from the family funds she said that the new rules include the tax credit. On my form they ask for your income from:

Income from employment before tax,Income Support, DLA ( only if you or your partner have had it awarded for yourself ie not the child's DLA), Carer's Allowance, Working Tax credit, Attendance Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Incapacity Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance, Pension, SDA, child tax credits, rent from a lodger and compensation payments.

I cannot say for certain if all of these are included, but the impression I got was that they were. When I spoke to the lady on the phone she asked what they all came to for us and I said �21,500. As we are under their limit of �23000 she is coming out.

I will try to confirm all this after her visit.

Denise 2 :)

Edited by denise2

:) HI Tez, an update after speaking to the lady from the family fund. She said she has just had an e-mail confirming that tax credits are NOT included in the calculations.

Denise 2

Thanks Helen I've just filled in an online application form and I'll see what happens. Hope your application is successful.

Just for anyone else that is interested I have just had a phone call from the family fund to advise that Carer's allowance is also not taken into account on the calculations.

Question??...

Ive been told i could get ff for my daughter but my husband earns over 35000 a year before tax... does that mean i wouldnt get it??

also what is the online address for ff??

Help would be nice...

I have been told that the family income should be below �23000, but there are more details on the website www.familyfundtrust.org.uk . The application form is quite simple if you complete it on-line , but it does take quite a long time for them to get back in contact with you.

Good Luck

Hi

I wondered if anyone knew what to expect?

I received a letter from Family Fund this morning, someone is coming to visit us within the next 4 weeks, what is this for? Also they say to speak to us and Jamie?

Although Im quite happy for her to meet Jamie, Jamie doesnt know weve claimed this and not sure how he would feel?

I just wondered if someone who's had a visit, knew a little of what to expect?

Thanks for any help.

Our visit was quite long, about an hour. She did say that she needed to see our son but he refused to come out of his room. She told us this is not unusual and the reason for meeting the child is to satisfy themselves that the child exists. As ours was quite vocal at the time she was satisfied with that.

She did however need to know a lot of information which I felt was not suitable for the child to listen to anyway. We had to show medical letters, medication and discuss the things that caused our son and the family most difficulties. As our son has continence problems he would have hated us discussing this in front of him. We could have not answered the questions but she needed to justify each part of the grant, which would have been difficult if we hadn't been honest.

Financially I also provided her with a copy of a payslip, DLA, Carers and tax credits, however they only include salary in calculations.

It was quite draining but she assured us we would only have to do this once and then after that we can apply every year.

The lady that came to see us was very nice and non-judgemental and it's well worth applying.

We told our son we had applied and he thought it was great. However he and his friend who both have Asperger's queried if they really were disabled. We told them that officially they were to be able to claim a lot of the benefits, but in our opinion they were not disabled just our children.

Deniose 2

Hi All.

I thought i'd update! :D

I applied for a FF Grant in April, we had a home visit in July and the begining of this month we got �380 towards a hoilday and a computer package which was installed yesterday!. I'm really chuffed :D as i thought we wouldn't get anything at all!.

So i would recomend applying, its worth a bash!. :dance:

Hi

Had the lady from family fund yesterday, she was very nice I showed her Js dx and all the reports, but was a bit worried when she said so he doesnt have communication problems, wondered if she knew anything about aspergers at all!!

Anyway just have to wait and see now, fingers crossed.

B)B)

Hi

I applied for a ff grant it took a while but the wait payed off.I recieved driving lessons and money towards a holiday.

So I'd say keep nagging after you send you application it really does pay off in the end

lis

:thumbs: Well the wait was worth it, cheque arrived this morning for money towards holiday (we've been now but will help with the next one) mattress, clothing and recreation costs. Over the moon as he's on his 3rd mattress this year and its horrid already :sick:

Applied a few months ago for a grant and have just received a form to complete asking for details of income and dla and proof of amounts. Do you normally get a visit or phone call after this has been received and if so is it normally long after - have applied for a washing machine but ours has stopped working and can't put off buying one for much longer?

I didn't have a visit but my friend who lives local did. I think someone said it depends if they have someone available to visit and the needs/requests made. I filled the finance form in and cheque arrived less than a week later.

Edited by lil_me

I haven't heard anything back ive asked for help as im wanting to learn to drive will make my life so much easier and my sons

sent forms in to family fund 3 weeks ago said i was over grant limit relised i put in cares allowance as well so sent proof of and got cheque through this morn to say eligible for 380.00 hol/120.oo clothes bedding /100.00 for trampoline for alicia so really pleased didnt take long as only sent proof in last thurs its mon now :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Have just done my on-line bit, I hadn't really looked into this before but I'm hopeful. The car failed its MOT miserably last week, and I'm gonna need it to get T to school and back, (if he gets in that is) and we haven't had any kind of proper holiday apart from a few days camping with my sis in the last 8 years so have asked for help for that as well ...

well heres hoping, as my mum says 'if you don't ask you don't get!'

HHxx

We've just received a response and been told that we do qualify. I'd asked for a washing machine but the person I spoke to said they'd like to help some more so was there anything else that would help. She suggested various things so now just waiting to see what I end up with.

Hi all

I applied for my daughter, we had someone come round to visit, who was a great help, we have been awarded a new washing machine, money towards a holiday, clothing and bedding for C, and money for recreational items. my advice is apply, i wasn't going to, but in the end did, suprised myself to say the least!!!!

only i had to send cheque back as they had me down for mrs not miss lol!!! :oops:

mc

B)B)B)B)B)B) had family fund scince alicia was 1 yr old but not through aspergus as only just getting properly diagnosed but for severe ecema /astma/heart mumur we have had various things from them and so grateful for their help my advice is too aply they can only say no at least you have tried good luck B)

My son was only diagnosed on 30th sept. 05 but we've had a hell of a time with him for many years.

I have 6 children and not on benefits as hubby works, ive been looking for work but i was called into my sons school about 3/4 times in the last few weeks before the summer hols and when i did work they didnt understand the need for me to be there for my kids.

Anyway i didnt even know we were entitled to money to help our son and was quite shocked when i found out as he was born with heart problems and had to have open heart surgery in jan 01 when he was 4 1/2 and oh my god i would never want to go through that again (things make sense now since having him diagnosed as it was a nightmare in the hospital) and im terrified as he will be getting reviewed soon as he may need further surgery. Liam is petrified of hospitals now and if he see's a needle he's off and running.

Liam has went through about 4 or 5 beds as he wont stop jumping and bouncing on them, he jumps off his window ledge, chest of drawers anything. Also i buy him clothes, coats, shoes etc and he will (maybe) wear it once and then "leave it" or "misplace it" or just refuse to wear it and with 6 kids i cant keep spending.

I've just been offered a job to start monday, its only 3 days a week but im scared incase i lose the job in the 1st few weeks as i know im going to have all these meetings with different proffesionals about my son and i dont know what to do :(

This site has answered so much of my questions and things that im quickly becoming addicted to this LOL :oops:

Thanx again

Julie xxx

Hi,

I applied first time after i got divorced in 2000 for help with buying a bed and bedding plus getting my carpets replaced for my daughter Lauren.

I have also just had a cheque sent to me a month ago which I requested for help with getting my garden made safe and tidied up for my daughter.

I think you can apply once every 3 years.

Wish me luck, I've just applied to them, C has broken her bed AGAIN, think this is the 3rd time I've asked them for a bed :rolleyes: Also a TV/video for her room and a family holiday. Fingers crossed!

Good luck Mandy. :pray:

I sent off the forms about three weeks ago, do they acknowledge them? or do you just wait to be contacted when yours gets dealt with?

I was told by a health worker that family fund is taking up to six months at the

moment :blink::blink:

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Brook :pray:

i know my sister put in an application 6 months ago and hasnt heard yet,and her friends application also took 6 months.

lynda x

I applied in October and gave them a call on Monday to see what was happening, and was told that it may take up to 6 months for an initial claim :tearful:

Oh Well .... HHxx

If you don't hear from them quite soon after the application I would give them a call to make sure they have received it. Everyone I know apart from one person had an acknowldegement letter telling them how long it was likely to take as well as an initial e-mail for those done online. The one friend who didn't get a confirmation phoned after a few months and was told they had no record of her application and she was told to start the process again. Luckily the carer support worker dealt with it on her behalf and it got fast tracked.

Website with more info:

http://www.familyfund.org.uk/

Denise 2

Thanks Denise,

I just phoned to check that they had recieved my form, luckily they have. PHEW! ;)

The recorded message says that it is taking up to three months to process the forms.

Brook

Hi all we got granted a touch screen pc 18 monthes ago pluse money for holiday clothes toys and bedding. It was great but took a long time thay even payed out for special pg's for adam as he smears. we are now after a tumble dryer Alison

Hi all,

applied to ff back in November, last week they sent me a form to fill out about income, also had to send

copies of kids DLA.

Anyone know what the next step is? and how long?

Thanks

Brook :)