Annea

laptops in class

hi there,

My daughter starts her GCSE years this september. She has ASD, has a poor working memory, writes slowly and takes longer than average to process info.

She was awarded a laptop last year and this year is encouraged to take it into class with her.

My question is... what do kids use the lap top for in class, is it beneficial? will she benefit?

Does anyone have any sucess stories about using laptops to help with study in the classroom?

thanks in advance

It really depends on what software comes with the laptop, and how good the child's typing ability is.

We've had children who have had laptops with speech recognition software, or with predictive text software. Programmes such as these will enable the child to get information recorded more quickly. We've found children don't like speech recognition software because it means they have to talk out loud. We've had more success with predictive text software. They like it because they only have to type in part of a word and the computer does the rest.

Laptops are most suitable for recording written information, but can be used for producing graphs and stuff. The most difficult subjects to use them in are maths and science, because unless highly skilled in computers it is incredibly difficult to produce scientific diagrams, and certain mathematical diagrams - e.g. angles diagrams.

Laptops can be a brilliant aid to learning, if the child has a proper plan of when/how to use it, and appropriate software on it to enable that. My one word of caution would be that if it's a child who has a particular interest in computers, or is easily distracted, a the laptop can prove a major distraction!

Annea I am coming from the background of an ex teacher and someone with AS who has opperated very succesfully in educational settings at my level. With all this stuff it is not the technology but the software which is important. Your daughter has to be prepared to work at these things and importantly see if it feels right for her.

Things I personally use is a digital recording device which I find very useful even if a lot of the time I only store what I have heard for back up, or for writing up notes later on.

When it comes to the lap top and software in regarding to supporting memory I would say have a look at 'Inspiration' or 'MindGenius', both of which are good software titles for quickly getting down basic concepts and linking them together. If you get a few key words in you can add to it later with pictures, text, documents for example digital handouts from teachers, or text book pages scaned in at home etc...

Try downloading a demo version and see what it feels like first.

I think you have to find a system which works for you and commit to developing your skills and how you use it. I would go as far as saying by taking this approach with some of my weaknesses over the years I have developed them to highly sophisticated levels, my weakness has now become a massive strength.

The hard thing is seeing the potential in the early days. It is difficult to write even a couple of words when you are trying to concentrate on what is happening in a classroom. It takes effort to go the the libary at school and scan in a couple of pages of the text book. It is difficult to take 5 minutes out of a lunch time when mates are out playing to add in a few thoughts before you loose them. That is why kids and adults have all this technology but fail to use it to its potential because it takes discipline, we are only human and as such find it hard. But like all things the more we work at it the better we get to the point where it is second nature.

I would say just because she has a laptop or her mates have one it doesn't mean it will work for her. I would try and develop skills firstly at home where there is no pressure. For example throw a few ideas about what to do at the weekend and see if she can get them into it in a quick and 'importantly' fun way. In this way finding software which feels fun is important, I like things with lots of colours and pictures with it. If you manage to develop some skills with her then I would say take it into school. The idea of turning up in a weeks or so's time with this expensive thing and not really knowing what to do with it could be very daunting and counterproductive.

I think SensitiveSoul has made some excellent point about making sure these things are not a distraction.

Just a few thoughts.

Edited by LancsLad

There are lots of things the school can do ie. uploading her work onto the laptop.

As Lancslad says it is also about the software. Does she need voice recognition programme so she can speak and the computer puts the words on screen? These are all things that the professional who has assessed her [probably OT?], should have recommended.

If she is sitting exams and is going to use her laptop, the school also need to let the examining body know about any extra time, equipment/IT that she needs to use/have to complete these exams.

And the software depends on the type and level of difficulty she has. For example, my son who has severe dyslexia, has some of his work differentiated so that he clicks on the answers, rather than having to type/write them out ie. multiple choice. And also words are grouped according to the actual lesson, so he has access to a 'word pool' to help him construct his sentences rather than having to think up the words himself.

Thanks for the responses.

I need to clarify.... my daughter already has a laptop, she has used one for several years although her touch typing speeds are not that good. The laptop she was awarded last year was for school use but to be honest the school ed psych and OT whilst identifying her difficulties have failed to identify really how best to over come her difficulties.

She is fairly bright and memorises a lot of stuff from certain areas but she really struggles with sequencing for one, so for instance she can work out algebraic equations but has to work out her 2 X tables... Also if instructions are given orally for example a homework task, my daughter will struggle to listen to the instructions whilst memorising it to write it down.. she cant write it down whilst listening to it. Only today whilst at the school collecting my middle daughters exam results I spoke to the Senco about the possibility of her having a dicataphone so she can review information after school but i was told permission wouldn't be granted by majority of teachers as they would feel it a privacy invasion. He said they might be prepared to let her record the lesson summary... however my daughter tells me this doesn't often anyway.... I have already modified her curriculum for the coming two years, pairing it down so she is only doing the necessary subjects needed to get her into college as that's what she wants, but I am still worried that she wont cope... not because she is not capable academically but because she isn't being taught in a way that allows her to overcome her difficulties.

As for the laptop, your answers have sort of confirmed my fears, that she probably won't get benefit from it in a classroom.

it's tough to know what to do really.

As my diagnosis was after i left school, i had a laptop in college instead (after failing a few years at 1 college they finally awarded me a laptop in a much better college City of Bristol).

i used my laptop for taking notes, it was stored in the disability department and i was let in through the library in the morning to collect my laptop. i had to negotiate with them to get in the library before it opened because my class started after they opened in the morning. i really value having a laptop in class it means i can type as i think.

Some folk have really been disrespectful in conferences telling me "we cant hear because of your typing" when i told them 'i cant hear the questions because of your talking' my answer to their comment was 'excuse my dyspraxia' in a sarcastic way (rare for me to be sarcastic and i try and be so about my situation not someone elses). They moved for the next part of the conference.

Is she planning on attending college and maybe university? if so i highly recommend this book;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skills-Success-Personal-Development-Employability/dp/0230250181

and this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Study-Skills-Handbook-Palgrave/dp/0230573053

...they mention strategies for helping with the difficulties you mentioned and are dyslexia friendly as well.

College is so much better than school and more allowances were made for my difficulties in college than in school.

DD (AS/ADHD) used to be very opposed to typing (I think she didn't want to appear to be different) - in her case an OT assessment showed that motor skills problems made it harder to write by hand than to type. She gripped the pen too hard and pressed too hard making handwriting very tireing - and eventually she started using a laptop when she realised it was faster for her

However recently she has started at 6th form college at a Swedish mainstream free-school where all pupils receive laptops from the school so she doesn't even appear unusual any more

But I hear the City of Bristol college, are great than the one in Dorset.

Apart from 1 A level tutor who gave me the 'im doing this because I feel like it'

answer to why something suddenly changed and students who gossiped about

my behaviour outside of his class (I heard about them from my brother).

i would agree with you, i had the most wonderful Mathematics tutors it was a shame

the examining body marked us all down that year.