A-S warrior

sorry but this has got to stop.

im sick and tired of seeing spam in the community updates, latley this forum has been infected with spammers. why cant we just delete there accounts altogther so there not showing up at all? its been relentless the last few days, spammer after spammer after spammer, its not a safe enviroment for us, and it doesnt look attractive to see 'http:&^EFBJTGTRVNcandycanesandlollipops$%^^^&88~~~###' on the front page. i know they cant post but they can look at pepoles profiles still, and clealy have some way of getting there spam to us. this is my final say on this subject, just delete there accounts fully instead of just disabling there accounts, PLEASE!

and just to add, i have seen 8 or 9 spammers sign in tonight. at first it was a funny joke but i just want to get on and enjoy talking to my forum friends now i dont want to see, &^&**(%$$%£glowsticksatalowprice.com###:*&"£xcvbq

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

and i,ll add again disabling there accounts wont cut it, make them vanish.

thanks in advance for whoever does this and makes this forum a better place.

make that 10 spammers tonight, where are they comming from???????!!!!!!!!!!!! and thats just the ones ive seen!! that many in the space of an hour or so is just absurd.

i dont know where the admin and moderators have disappeared too. this needs looking into they are spybots, or spammers what u name them they will keep crawling to site and they need something that prevents it

thanks for that , I alerted Lufty yesterday , unfortunately as a mod I can,t get in to delete posts as the accounts have been de activated.Lufty knows and is sorting it.You can disable the updates feature for now if looking at the posts upsets you.

Dear All

Some time ago I changed the security settings on the forum to stop members marked as spammers from giving status updates and viewing members profiles.

However this only works going forwards so members marked as spam before then can still post status updates and view members profiles.

When I spot or am notified of spam status updates I simply reset the member account as a spammer and this stops them from making status updates and viewing members profiles.

The status updates in the last 24 hours have all been from spam members who joined on 12th January 2012.

The problem should reduce and go away in time.

Kind regards

Lufty

I wanted to say something, but what do you say especially when some of the spammers use controversy to almost legitimise themselves?!? That is why I put my Web of Trust link on; not through paranoia but through being careful.

I rely on it when I'm not sure. It isn't always 100% but then at least it's something.

The main problem I see is that spammers are human too and any new system you put in will just be seen as a challenge to scale. Perhaps the Community aught to question new members when they start up to make sure they are who they say they are. If you see someone you don't know and are not sure about then raise it with the moderator.

Edited by Mike_GX101

sorry if i came of rude, (i wasnt meaning to be) but there does come a point when i get frustrated. last night there was 5 members online and i was the only human one!

oh and nice work on adding a spammers group lufty :D

Edited by A-S warrior

I wanted to say something, but what do you say especially when some of the spammers use controversy to almost legitimise themselves?!? That is why I put my Web of Trust link on; not through paranoia but through being careful.

I rely on it when I'm not sure. It isn't always 100% but then at least it's something.

The main problem I see is that spammers are human too and any new system you put in will just be seen as a challenge to scale. Perhaps the Community aught to question new members when they start up to make sure they are who they say they are. If you see someone you don't know and are not sure about then raise it with the moderator.

i know i joked about it, but i dont think it would be the worsed idea in the world if mike posts up a topic with the link to that website and a mod makes it a sticky. (or pinned as you call it around here)

just an idea.