Mannify

Lets help send AS Warrior to India

Hi all. You've probably read that AS Warrior is raising money so that he and his 27 year-old friend, who has advanced cancer, can go to India and fulfill her dream. The way I see it is that you don't argue with advanced cancer: if his friend wants to go to India, then she needs to go to India. The 'Theme Music' thread made me think that I can't be the only one on here who would pay money to think of AS Warrior enduring the agony of 5 hours of this

! . Thing is, I'm not great at organisational stuff, so if anyone has good ideas about how to go about this, it would be a help. We could choose a date and arrange for some kind of verification, maybe a relative who could come on here and confirm that he completed the full five hours? I dunno. But, we also couldn't expect him to undergo that level of sheer torture without a decent return. Finally, I guess we could all send cheques, but maybe some other kind of system might be better? What do you think, folks, and any ideas? Edited by Mannify

My only comment is that I might think of doing something to send A-S Warrior there, but is there any way we can build in some safegurds so that I know that anything I do is not making a contribution towards bringing him back!

Maybe two different donation sites one for outward bound and one for the return.

Just a thought.

What a great idea. I'm not quite as organised as I appear - it took me ages to set up my fundraising mission! However the advice I would give is:

1) Before you do anything work out how you would collect the money:

• get people to send cold, hard cash
  • get people to donate online somehow - I wish I could give more tips on this but I really struggled with this myself until I realised there was an add-on for the webpage I already have. It could be possible to set up a webpage on something like webs.com (I don't know any other similar web page hosting sites) - you could have a page documenting your cause and a donation page documenting what you plan to do to raise money.

2) Work out how you could show people that you watched the whole 5 hours. It's a tricky one with something like this, but you could get a friend/family member to verify, like Mannify suggested. You could possibly get pictures at different times during the challenge - every half hour or something, but you'd have to see if you could get the time on what you're watching to show on the picture. I don't know - perhaps you might have some ideas of your own A-S Warrior.

3) Once you have worked all that out, then set a time and a date.

4) Once you have a time and date you're ready to promote your fundraiser, for which you might need promotional material. I made a poster, put together information pages, and made a sponsor form because I plan to ask friends and family locally, as well as people online. What promotional materials you need really depends on who you want to ask for sponsorship. I would suggest you need some kind of form anyway, even for people online, so you can keep a track of who has pledged what - particularly if you're going to ask people you know online to send money in the post.

5) Once you have your promotional material - promote, promote, promote. Get the word out there and try and get others to spread the word. make sure people have all the details about when, how you're going to prove and how they can donate.

Hope some of this helps :)

Edited by SensitiveSoul

Thanks, SensitiveSoul :) . We need some idea of how well this might be supported, too. Maybe if it was in a couple of months' time, it would leave enough time to get people interested. End of October, possibly?

Hmmm, that's a possibility. Or you could get a relative to keep checking up on you, and then come on here and describe your trials for us. What about the loo? Would it be permissable for you to have a loo break, or are you just gonna have to have a bottle on hand? We need help to refine the rules.

I've been thinking and thinking about this (rather than sleeping, grrrr!). SensitiveSoul is right, that you're probably gonna need a web donation page, plus an online poster to print off (that way we can give the poster to friends to take to work with them with some kind of collection jar). There would also need to be an address for cash and cheque donations. SensitiveSoul, could AS Warrior use the same kind of format and the same web people as you? Also, you're obviously gonna need to do other fundraising events, so if you have a donation page set up you could use it for your other sponsored stuff.

I'm already thinking that maybe November would be better, because there's a fair bit of prep involved, and then the canvassing. Thoughts, people?

Edited by Mannify

Live video stream complete with sound, I want to witness the mental breakdown as it happens. There could be two of those charity thermometers. One for the cash as it comes in and one for A-S Warriors sanity level, as one goes up the other comes down. Something visual as He Man sucks away all his mojo. I think St Johns Ambulance and the Samaritans should be on standby so there will be people around to sort these things out.

Just a few more thoughts.

Live video stream complete with sound, I want to witness the mental breakdown as it happens. There could be two of those charity thermometers. One for the cash as it comes in and one for A-S Warriors sanity level, as one goes up the other comes down. Something visual as He Man sucks away all his mojo. I think St Johns Ambulance and the Samaritans should be on standby so there will be people around to sort these things out.

Just a few more thoughts.

i,ll try and sort that lol (you think im joking im not)

Neither am I, I will buy a ticket but the entertainment value has to be there!

Fair enough, Lancslad. I realise that the title of this thread was tantalisingly misleading; the whole exercise does involve bringing him back, too. It's important that everyone realises that before they commit, I guess.

should i post after every 15 mins of viewing?

Yeah you certainly could do. I definitely think you need some kind of proof other than just family member verification. That's a great idea too, but I have a feeling people would argue that a family member is biased and would therefore possibly say you've done it when you haven't. So I would do the family verification thing, but I think your live stream idea is a good one too.

SensitiveSoul, could AS Warrior use the same kind of format and the same web people as you?

He could if he wished. It's totally free, provided you don't opt for a premium account, and it's very easy to set up a page because you just have to choose a template and the put in your information. I'm on webs.com, but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there. I don't know about any others though, or how possible it would be to have a donations page included, but with webs.com, yes it's certainly possible.

can we make use of my forum?

What is your forum A-S Warrior? I'm sure you probably could make use of it.

Edited by SensitiveSoul

im going to pm lufty and see if it possible to get a live streaming webcam thingy and a chat room feature. so then you can watch me squirm and i can reply to your comments verbally. yet me know what yall think of this idea, and if its the groups consensus i,ll get it sorted.

My only concern with that is that communicating with us might take away some of the burden of boredom, and I don't know if everyone will want to extend that mercy. The streaming idea's cool, though. What would be really useful, but probably out the question, would be for you to have your own sub-forum on this forum, that way we wouldn't have the trouble of bumping up all the time to get people interested. Probably a bit blue-sky that, huh?

Depends how long it takes to organise - I just wondered if AS Warrior had a sort of time frame in mind...

If it were me, and this is gonna seriously be set up - I'd create a new post saying exactly what AS Warrior is planning to do and why and saying it clearly (cuz this post is just about deporting him in a crate to India right? lol) it might drum up more support - or at least get more people aware of this. I'd probably do this 2-4 weeks prior to the challenge.

A 'crate' that's sheer ###### luxury that is! When we were a kid weed av bin lucky, and I mean lucky with a wet cardboard shoe box! A slice of mouldy bread to keep us going and tupence for fare back. Some people just don't know when thay have it made.

ah ya jus pick mould off lad and ya wulda bin be''er wi a tanner stead o tuppence - bit a savin ta do but woth it in ' end - an people ad sense ta keep ' shoebox dry were am from :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My brother-in-law said this about AS Warrior's coming ordeal: ' I would rather run the marathon again with blisters than listen to this for five hours. He deserves every penny !

this is the true magic of forums, pepole all over the uk are getting into my fund raiser, gives me a nice glow inside. espeshilly after buttmunchers topic today.

by the way darkshine, lancslad what in the blue hell are you on about? lol

by the way darkshine, lancslad what in the blue hell are you on about? lol

Me? I believe I said the word "crate" and LancsLad said that he wouldn't have got a crate in his day and seeing as he slipped into a bit of Northern mode, I thought I'd try and outdo him - I could have gone on for longer but it would have got increasingly strange as I tried to spell the words the way I say them.... especially if I'd have put more slang and old words - cuz LancsLad was being old fashioned an all. :D

Just want to say up wer I come from you couldn keep a shoe box dry if you bl00dy tried, we av propr rain wot comes in orizontal, it gets into evry thin, jus fo record!

And another thing if I spell 'come' and 'comes' proper like, it get bl00dy crossed owt! Thats predudice that is aginst uz nothern folk.

Edited by LancsLad

Bullsh*t, we had orizontal rain an all, an still dint 'av a problem wiv keepin box dry... probly jus smarta were am from, an we dunt blame orizontal rain for stuff neither!

Wot's wiv va excuses t'day? Ya spell it kum then dontcha :P

:lol::devil::ph34r:

Ok ok, do you care really? It all bumps your post up dunnit? And if you take me advice from post #24 - then it doesn't matter what gets said here.

:drunk::eat1::cheers:

Wuz that that bloke frum down sowth buttin in again, jsut cuz he as big muscles thinks he can do wot e wants. Tell ya that body buildin lark up ere is just for lasses, wuldnt get no proper bloke doin that stuf no bleedin energy left after 26 hours a day shifts down pit.

Wen we went skool we didn't do spellin cuz it adnt been invented yet, just so ya no.

Great stuff, madness is a good place to be sometimes, I feel it can make a whole load more sense than what a lot of people call sanity :lol:

maddness can be libertaing cant it? walking home 8 miles from sainsburys with your weekly shopping in the pouring rain walking down the dual carrigeway is the most fun ive had in my life.

. Tell ya that body buildin lark up ere is just for lasses, wuldnt get no proper bloke doin that stuf

so all you guys up there have low testosterone levels then? and your women are genetic powerhouses? i quess we can see who pulls the strings where you come from then