Suze

so ..when your not on here .....

Its ages since I started a thread :D ..................so thought I,d dip my toe back in the forum pool.Just wondered what we all did when we are not ploughing through the posts on here.I,ve got 3 kids and lots of animals they keep me very busy.2 lovely polish lowland sheepdogs.They are like old english sheepdogs but smaller.My son 17 yrs, who has AS works so hes off at 7.00 am every morning.I usually go for a run ..I like to do 10k or half marathons , training now for 2 in the autumn.I keep lots of rare breed chickens, pekin banthams especially.My daughter rides and most weekends I,m towing a horse box around the countryside as she competes.I used to work in an underwear shop selling very expensive underwear but packed it in a few weeks ago....currently trying to set up my own business on the net.I,ve a lovely hubby too and I love cooking buns casseroles anything really.My youngest loves rock music and he is obsessed with Muse (gets it from his mum ).

I'm trying to get our garden in order at the moment and am trying to create a little covered toy 'Car Park' at the back of it (everything keeps getting covered in a lovely layer of mulchy slime). I've created a little adult sitting area and constructed a bench although it's sitting at a slight tilt and I need to get that fixed! I got a couple of nice topiary plants for the front and am halfway through weeding the borders and putting down bark. The biggest job possibly won't get completed this year but it's to sand back and creosote all the fencing and revarnish my kid's wooden climbing frame - constant lashing rain is frustrating my plans!!!

A fellow art graduate mum gave me a poster for an Art Show a while back. I decided I didn't have the time to do anything but I took the bull by the horns a few days ago and have cobbled together 3 pieces to put into the show. I doubt I'll sell what I've done but it'll be nice to see them hanging up!

im such an open book wherever i go that pretty much everyone knows everything about me anyway. ask me anything and i,ll tell you. i dont have many secrets.

Since I'm a new member, I guess this is a good place to say a little more about me.

I'm a New Yorker but the bank I work for has sent me on secondment to London for a year to get more experience in the UK side of my particular field (banking law). I spend three weeks out of four in London and the other week in NYC. I'm still finding my feet but I've already joined a gym and since I brought my camera gear with me to England, I spend some time on weekends taking pictures around London. London has some great, iconic sights and a real buzz to it but man, it's noisy - NYC is like a library in comparison! Traffic noise is the culprit.

I'm living in a serviced company apartment which is very nice but I don't much like sitting there by myself so I try to get out as much as I can, mostly with work colleagues. London is very well served with good places to eat - better than NYC, I would say. Anyways, I'm probably going to spend the next few weekends visiting galleries and museums.

Edited by In Exile

In Exile ..check out the v&A museum ..beautiful and has a lovely shop too, I loved the costume section especially ...and its free entry too

I look after my five children. Work 15 hrs a week,go to uni or placements or essays which take up to 37.5 hours a week. Sometimes do housework, sometimes cook,sometimes do the gardening. I visit my father who has COPD,once a week and go to have coffee with my brother,who has had three strokes,once a week.

I've been out of work since the end of 2010 when I was signed off with depression and anxiety. In January I moved into a supported living place in Liverpool (low level, floating support), which is pretty wonderful actually. It's not perfect, but I feel very, very lucky to have been able to live somewhere on my own (I really struggle living with people) and have access to support. So my days are spent looking after my awesome pet ferret, Owen, (ok, he sleeps a lot, that doesn't take much time!), reading, watching TV, forcing myself to go out into the big wide world and, you know, do grown up stuff like shopping and paying bills, then recovering (!), attending the odd social event put on by a local support provider who have also been supporting me, occasionally seeing friends, but I don't have many (that's not a complaint, I just don't have many! :) ), going jogging / walking, trying to be creative by writing, doing crafty stuff etc. I'm just looking into doing voluntary work again too, and I'd like to start a course soon but it's a bit scary! :s So that's me :)

I have two kids and a hubby, work part time as a project manager for autism at a local support charity, and am doing my MEd in Special Ed (Autism Studies). I love baking, read a lot, pretty boring really!

Lynne

I have two kids and a hubby, work part time as a project manager for autism at a local support charity, and am doing my MEd in Special Ed (Autism Studies). I love baking, read a lot, pretty boring really!

Lynne

I don't think that's boring at all, I think it sounds really cool :) It's easy for me to wish for a different life though I guess :)

I work as a web designer/software tester, and am in the process of writing a business plan for a Berlin based bakery.

Do lots of crafts (knitting, making clothes, papercutting etc). Also do roller derby.

I've just begun a two-month contract as a quant with an oil company (rather against my environmental principles, I know).

I'm living in a serviced company apartment which is very nice but I don't much like sitting there by myself so I try to get out as much as I can, mostly with work colleagues.

Lucky you, I live with my parents. Back in 2007 I bought a flat in Exeter, where I was then working; then in 2009 I lost said job and was on the dole for a year before landing a new job in Skipton, N Yorks. Not my preferred location by a long chalk - I'd much rather have moved to Bristol - but it was only job offer I'd received so I let out my flat and moved up north. Then I lost the Skipton job after five months and found that I wasn't entitled to claim any means-tested benefts because owning a property automatically puts me above the maximum savings threshold. Hence my moving back to the family home. I wonder if I'll ever be an owner-occupier again?

I won't deny that I'm in a good position relative to most people with AS but being over here is no bed of roses. If, like me, your life is governed by a desire for routine and certainty, you'll appreciate how stressful it must be to be sent to another country for a year without any real choice. I have with me a couple suitcases of stuff so not much in the way of personal comforts. The people I work with live out in the country so I have nobody to associate with on weekends. I'm way out of my comfort zone and I'm missing my home, friends and family. There's scarcely a waking moment when I don't feel stressed out by this.

I'm trying to run a few autism social groups about 1 per week. Also ive got some house sorting and hunting to do, caring for my gran, explaining my mums behaviour to other family members, working out what to do about university and generally trying to survive the prejudice that I encounter from people that should really know better.

Lynne

Hi im taking a break from my autism studies and considering carrying on with postgraduate work.

i also enjoy baking and reading, i am stitching a wildlife sampler in my spare time as well.