rufusrufus

Hi! I'm Ruth! Just been diagnosed...

Hi there, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Ruth, I'm 26, I live in Liverpool, and last week I was diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome. I'm not shocked that I have it, I've suspected it for a long time, but I was surprised to actually get a diagnosis - I was expecting to have to fight for it more! Well, if you can call having the idea dismissed by many medical professionals and colleagues for several years, not having to fight for it! I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety as a teen, was horrendously bullied in high school, but made it through to university, where I studied psychology.

I'm not entirely sure how much I'm supposed to write here, whether my life story is required, or just a simple "hello", so I'll stop waffling now.

So there, we go..... hi! :)

Welcome from me - I hope you find this a good place to be!

Welcome from me - I hope you find this a good place to be!

Thank-you! :)

Hi and welcome

There was a Liverpool Asperger Team sometime ago but it only covered certain areas of Liverpool.

i have relatives from West Kirby and the Wirral. i have seen Keane live in concert at the Echo arena and im a big fan of Jimmy Mcgovern. i have difficulty telling the Liverpool sense of humour so please excuse me if i dont recognise when you are joking and i live with an Evertonian (wrong team lol).

Well done for making it to university, i made it to university with undiagnosed compensatory dyslexia, fibro and hms (plus some added complications).

Do you need help in applying for disability benefits?

Hi and welcome

There was a Liverpool Asperger Team sometime ago but it only covered certain areas of Liverpool.

i have relatives from West Kirby and the Wirral. i have seen Keane live in concert at the Echo arena and im a big fan of Jimmy Mcgovern. i have difficulty telling the Liverpool sense of humour so please excuse me if i dont recognise when you are joking and i live with an Evertonian (wrong team lol).

Well done for making it to university, i made it to university with undiagnosed compensatory dyslexia, fibro and hms (plus some added complications).

Do you need help in applying for disability benefits?

Hi everyone! Thanks for the welcomes :) I also have relatives just outside West Kirby! And I live by Everton's football ground, but I grew up in Norfolk, so I don't really know what my sense of humour is :) It's my Dad's side of the family who are Scousers :)

I went to a motown night at the Echo arena a few years ago, it was cool but I left early. University was good, but difficult, I'm glad I did it though. I'd love to go back to studying but it's not really been possible, I love in hope for the future though :) Well done for your uni'ing! It must have been really hard.

I am currently on ESA because of depression and anxiety, and get low rate care DLA, but it runs out in March 2013, so I will try to reapply, especially now I have an AS diagnosis. I'm not sure what, if anything, I'm entitled to, I've seen a few threads on here that I need to look more closely at, but I keep getting distracted by watching House! I was diagnosed by the Liverpool Asperger's Team and he's coming back in 3 weeks to talk about a care plan etc - eek!

Thank-you again to everybody for welcoming me :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/Yourhealth/Pages/Careplan.aspx

http://www.autism.org.uk/24618

Are about making care plans, the 1st link is what the NHS says, the 2nd is more specific to aspergers.

Does your area do sensory assessments? i hear they are few and far between?

That's great, thanks Trekster, it's quite a lot to get my head around. :) The guy who diagnosed me spoke to my Mum earlier, and she told him that until I have it written on a piece of paper in front of me, I'll be scared they'll take my diagnosis away! So he said he'll phone me, and get something on paper before his proper report is finished, to put my mind at rest, which I thought was really nice. I have no idea about the sensory assessments though - I'll ask him when he comes back (I'm rubbish on the phone, I won't have the guts to ask him!). Thank-you again :)