darkshine

Paralympic Opening Ceremony

So... what do you think... it's on C4 right now, hasn't been on long, is looking very artistically colourful...

Any thoughts? (obviously the programme needs to finish first) I just wanted to set this up ready for those Olympic and Paralympic addicts (like me) out there who want to talk about it :ph34r:

And is it just me... but how come the Paralympics has to be on so long after the Olympics? I can handle it changing channels but why the delay? Why don't the Paralympics follow straight on from the Olympics?

Is there an actual reason?

And is it just me that thinks it should all be one massive set of games - for all - and not split like that?

Isn't that supposed to be the message the Olympics give out, that they unite everyone?

They have to move the olympians out of the olympic village and move in the paralympians. Bearing in mind these are disabled people a lot of them needing adaptations it will take time to do the changeover. The paralympics is separate and have their own governing bodies. Some people argue that they should be integrated into the main olympics but that misses the point of the event. The whole world is focussed on the disabled athletes and their achievements, if it were integrated into the main olympics I don't think that people would focus as much on these athletes.

Edited by ScienceGeek

Thanks for the explanation :thumbs:

Some people argue that they should be integrated into the main olympics but that misses the point of the event. The whole world is focussed on the disabled athletes and their achievements, if it were integrated into the main olympics I don't think that people would focus as much on these athletes.

See I didn't fully think of that - I did wonder if it was a factor but wasn't sure, (it's why I think it's best to just ask), I also wondered about modifications for access - so I guess the break is long enough to separate the events and get everything sorted - cuz it's a lot of people to shift out from the Olympics and to get everything ready to go again for the Paralympics.

There are 164 countries proudly making their circuit of the stadium - 147 in 2008 according to a few sites courtesy of Google - haven't got time to verify that properly in the ad breaks - but it's a fair increase :)

Here's a trivia type question for anyone to answer - I do not know the answer - have any countries ever competed in the Paralympics but not the Olympics?

I'm finding the adverts a right pain. I wish there had been the continuity of the Olympics and Paralympics on the same channel. Hey ho, it's exciting, anyway. John Snow's not quite in his comfort zone yet, is he? There's time though.

science geek, anna kennedy has asked for people with autism to be included. when anna kennedy questioned who has autism , or LD in paralympics they said they had no such data.

Edited by Special_talent123

In respect to ASD and its potential inclusion into the games as a category I offer up the following thought. When I am fit and well I train for triathlon for around 25 hours a week what does my Asperger's stop we from doing that a fully able boddied Olympian couldn't? I think we need to get things in perspective here. Sure some things are difficult for me because of my 'condition' but I don't let them stop me from training hard.

I witnesed last year Joe Townsend complete Ironman UK. I had the pleaseure of talking to Joe as well both before and after the event. For people trying to make the connection to who Joe is he was the guy who came down the zip wire from the orbit to bring the torch into the stadium in the opening ceremony.

When Joe raced at Bolton he had to get a mate to carry him on his shoulders and 'throw' him into the lake in his wetsuit. He then proceeded to swim 2.4 miles around the lake. He crawled out of the water got changed unaided as is the rules and climbed aboard his 'hand bike'. As Joe has no fully opperable lower limbs, most of them are missing he pedals using his hands and arms. He had to do so for 112 miles. That included 3 climbs up Winter Hill a hill which would be considered a mountain in many parts of the country. After completing this middle section of the course Joe climbed onto his sports wheelchair and pushed himself around the 26.2 mile marathon course. Joe Townsend completed this event in under hours. That is the time for the swim, bike and run, no rests simply back to back effort.

I find this disability thing in respect to myself pretty easy to work out at one level. As an individual could I look Joe Townsend in the eyes and ever say to someone like that I have a disability, not in my life I couldn't. And when people like that don't see themselves as disabled but rather that they were unfortunate to have their legs blown off fighting for this country but say to me events like that have opened up many opportunities for them to find out about who they are, they simply blow my mind away.

I will watch the paralympics and think why do I not get more out of my potential as a human being, what is really holding me back besides myself?

Just a few thoughts.

When I watched the Olympics, I thought about what those athletes can do, and I thought that was inspiring - I think you hit the nail on the head with this line

I will watch the paralympics and think why do I not get more out of my potential as a human being, what is really holding me back besides myself?

I think that question is something we should as ourselves, because thinking of the last Paralympics, I remember watching those athletes and thinking that those people are the ones with real drive, determination, focus and true grit - and I remember looking at myself at the time and feeling ashamed on some levels about my own life.

This time I don't plan on being so negative - I want to think about about how I get more potential out of myself as a human being - and maybe I'll never be that inspiring, but I know I can be inspired because that's one feeling I have felt every time I've watched both the Olympics, but especially when I've watched the Paralympic Games.

I think the messages we take away and carry forward are an important part of the Olympics, but even more so for the Paralympics because they show what people can do when they don't have a fully abled body - and I find that even more amazing, and to be honest, in many ways it makes me feel ashamed of myself, and I'm not afraid of that feeling, it tells me that I haven't tried hard enough, it tells me I've been held back by things - including myself - and to be honest, I think that we all could do with a reminder of things like that, and we all should think of things as we weigh up our lives, and our potential.

As for autistic people competing - I don't think so - a mention in a song will have to do :P

In respect of the opening ceremony two simple thoughts Ian Dury and Jimmy Saville personally two individuals who are no longer with us who were both very 'different' in their own rights.

I can remeber seeing Ian Dury and the Blockheads and thinking there is a guy who doesn't give a ###### but simply lives his life how he sees it. I think of all the work Jimmy Saville did for Stoke Mandaville when disability wasn't a bandwagon to jump onto but rather working with people in such scenarios was seen as something to enrich your own life, Jimmy knew that and dind't need anyone to tell him. Would have been fitting to see both of them there in the flesh but I guess it reminds us get the most out of life whilst you can.

I am very fortunate to live 10min walk from where it all began and indeed I do work/placements at stoke mandeville hospital including the national spinal injuries unit,I have met a few of the paralympians and other fantastic people.

On tuesday I took my boys to see the torch event but Sam lasted just 10min,too many people,so took three back and went with just my eldest Josh. It was so great. There were people of all backgrounds singing and dancing. They had various special schools,or adult services involved in art/dance and a choir that had two people using touch talk (not sure exact name..what Stephen Hawking uses to communicate) to sing,it was so emotional. Yesterday we also had a free event at the stadium and there were events like football for visually impaired which people could try...whilst being blind folded.

As for people commenting about LD at paralympics I did see on the news one mum whose son has cerebal palsy,physically he is able but does have LD and competing in the paralympics. Also there are various categories within the paralympics so I do believe they do take LD into account,and disabled people can also try out and compete in the olympics,as has been proved by Oscar Pistorius,who also competes in paralympics.

but cerebral palsy is also a learning disability? but not one have i seen an paralympian with ASD who has physical problems been accepted in these games?

Edited by Special_talent123

Confused?? In your previous post you said "no such thing as anyone with autism and learning disabilities" but I have just said(and you appear to agree) cerebral palsy is a learning disability and there are a number of paralympians with this disability.

I also don't quite understand what you mean by "paralympian with ASD who has a physical problem" ??? If the person has a physical problem therefore making them physically disabled then they would more than likely be trying out for the paralympics based on this as opposed to having ASD. As LancsLad pointed out why is it that someone with ASD cannot be in the usual olympics NOT paralympics? Unless they have LD which would be treated as a separate disability in any case.

Just to add it is perfectly possible that there are indeed olympians and paralympians that do in fact have ASD but either do not have a dx or just chose not to make it public,if you think of the sheer number of athletes involved it would not surprise me.

Edited by justine1

But you did say that in your post..meaning that they don't take part in paralympics which is not true. I am not arguing with you just pointing out the facts and was confused by your contradicting post sorry.

Ok.... so the games were great... the closing ceremony was colourful and vibrant...

Medals won...

34 Gold

43 Silver

43 Bronze

That's a total of 120

Pretty damn impressive - but then it wasn't all about medals was it....

Now I just have to live with the regret of not discussing the games properly, or the closing ceremony - but hey, if anyone wants to then feel free.

Best

Darkshine

Edited by darkshine

Michael Phelps has ADHD, so why doesn't he compete in the Paralympics as well as the Olympics?