ALC

Diagnosed Last Week, Hi!

Hi, I am 18 years old and was officially diagnosed with Asperger's just last week. My mum noticed that I had Asperger's when I was two and ever since then has been amazing, recognising my difficulties and helping be understand/overcome them but during the transition into independent life/ adulthood (i'm starting UNI in September) I realised I needed more. The Doctor that diagnosed me advised me to check out forums and stuff so here I am. :)

Welcome to the forums. i help to run adult social groups in Bristol :-)

Which university are you planning to attend? Have you applied for Disabled Students Allowance?

If you aren't already email andrew.powell@awp.nhs.co.uk he is part of Bristol Autism Spectrum Service.

Thanks, I'm going to UWE so that I can stay local. I have filled out all the forms for DSA just need to send them off when my diagnosis report comes through. Both my mum and sister are at UWE so filling out all the right paper work has been ok. We’re just unsure of what kind of support I will be offered because I’ve never gotten any support in any of the schools I went to. But UWE have been pretty good with any questions we've had so far.

Edited by ALC

i had my assessment via UWE. Would you like to meet other Autistics in the Bristol area? If so PM me and we can make arrangements to meet up.

ALC - I have joined Alexis group, and I have autism, age 22 was diagnosed age 14. I will be able to attend a lot when I officially live in Bristol :) but i need to save up for when next invited to the group :) if its at night

Yeah should be interesting, i don't really have a career goal at the moment. I’m pretty comfortable in the job I have now but, I like learning and the stability of education so I’m going to keep going as long as I can :)

Edited by ALC

I work at the co-op as a customer service assistant, it's not great but it's a fairly simple job so I don't have to worry about it too much!

Working on the shop floor mostly, deliveries stacking the shelf’s etc. I also serve customers at the checkout which I don't like very much but it's got to be done I guess. What sort of stuff do you do in your volunteer work?

Edited by ALC

not bad then, that would not be my thing. i volunteer as a young ambassador which i meet nationally via london represent different areas, which will be bristol when i get there soon in important issues that we disabled young people face in our day to day lives, we make changes for the better take it to parliament and challenge.

Hi! I was diagnosed last week too and just found this forum yesterday :) Good luck with university, I did psychology at Liverpool Uni and enjoyed it. We had some criminology lectures with David Canter and and somebody Wagner, who did all about the Cognitive Interview and stuff. They were really cool :) Anyway, just thought I'd say hi :)

Hello, I like your signature about wooden swords and growing up and people keeping score ;)

Thanks, it's from a Taylor Swift song. Eyes Open, great lyrics!

Your mum sounds great. I hope I'm that kind of mum. I try to be :unsure: .

Yeah she has been so incredible, that's why I was able to go so long without a diagnosis or any outside support because she was so great at it already. PM me If you ever have any questions or need any advice, i'd be happy to ask her about anything you can't find an answer for on here or anywhere else. She really is great at it! :)

PM me If you ever have any questions or need any advice, i'd be happy to ask her about anything you can't find an answer for on here or anywhere else.
That's so lovely, thanks. I might just do that :)

Theres another psychology student on here and they went to UWE, gonna PM them a link to this thread.

Hi there. I'm Jack and am studying psychology at UWE so I know most of the staff on the psychology part. The support service has been of great help to me since I have been there. If you have any questions just PM and I'll answer :peace: