Sign in to follow this  
smileyK

Think may be entitled to income based ESA

I've looked into income based employment support allowance on direct government website think may be entitled to it! But not sure as only work part time going ring job centre on Monday as only Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

Edited by smileyK

does your parents work full time? Because you wont be able to claim if they get a certain amount of income and work more than 16 hours. Also its hard to proof you are not capable of working if you are working l? Also if you get ESA then u will have to chip iin the rent, food etc

Edited by Special_talent123

does your parents work full time? Because you wont be able to claim if they get a certain amount of income and work more than 16 hours. Also its hard to proof you are not capable of working if you are working l? Also if you get ESA then u will have to chip iin the rent, food etc

I didn't think ESA asked about parents income. You don't have to be unable to work to get ESA, but you do have to find it harder to get/keep a job than most other people. You need to fill the form in carefully so do get help.

You don't necessarily have to fill in the ESA50 form every 6 months - it depends on the doctor's opinion - my son's latest claim was awarded for 18 months.

If you cannot get ESA, check if you can get Working Tax Credit.

it does though depending on the incoming the parents get could affect how much smiley gets on ESA. I have ESA kazzen and I had to fill it out every six months ESA told me that. I had to fill out the work capability for work questionaire. I dont have to worry when in support group, but u do when in WRAG and u have to attend there sessions.

I have just checked the ESA form and it only asks whether you live with your parents and if so, whether you pay towards the rent/mortgage.

T's first ESA award was for 6 months, then it was for longer and the last one was for 18 months - the person who makes the decision decides when you should be reassessed. T has only had to attend one set of "Pathways to Work" sessions (over 6 weeks) so far.

I am not sure if you can claim ESA whilst working, but you may be able to claim Working Tax Credit depending on your income last year. You may be entitled to a Disability Element of WTC too.

Edited by Kazzen161

Thought to claim WTC have do 16 hours or more and I don't! I'm on temporary contract of doing 1 hour at lunch 5 hours a week may get called in for bank work on top too just struggling bad :(

I'm off to the job centre today to take a letter I have from Glen's psychiatrist stating that Glen cannot work and that he has severe autism and learning difficulties and has to have support with every aspect of his life. So I'm hoping this letter will be sufficient evidence for them. I am claiming for ESA from August 10th but so far haven;t received any money of behalf of Glen. Hopefully if this letter is acepted then I will start receiving money for him. Does anyone know how long this process takes, is it a long wait until you get any money in your account?

Thanks special talent. I am going to ring Glen's GP in Coventry this morning to chase up this medical certificate myself in the case the letter from Glen's psychiatrist isn't enough evidence on it's own.

You can claim ESA or JSA and live at home with parents. I think it's only HB you can't claim while living with parents as it will already be covered if your parents are getting housing benefit themselves. Yes you are right about working tax credits, you can only claim it if you are working a minimum of 16hrs for disabled people. I would definitely contact the job centre as there are some complicated rules when it comes to permitted work, has to be below a certain amount of hours and money. Unfortunately as seems to be the case if autistic people do get ESA they are more likely to be put in the WRAG unless they have other disabilities that put them in the Support Group.

they look at what you can do rather than what you cant do but you can get medical notes from your doctor to proof you unable to work. Also if you put in WRAG then u will have to attend there groups. I am in support group but I am still worried the outcome not heard from them for a whole month actually nearly 2 months. I will have to give them a ring tomorrow and find out what is going on? Usually its 16 hours or more your benefits get affected, but less than 16 hours you don't get affected over 16 hours you cant claim it.

what i was told the amount of ESA u get depends on the area you live in. And if you are on benefits your not anymore than six thousand income otherwise they start deducting it from your benefits and you have to let them know if you have savings

Edited by Special_talent123