Mannify

So, what music got you through adolescence?

While we're talking music, I've done my neck in head-banging with my son. We need an 'ouch' emoticon, don't we?

I know I shouldn't laugh at someone elses misfortune but pissed myself laughing at that one. Can I ask what were you head banging to at the time. It only reinforces what I say to my partner when she goes out with her mates to these tribute band things, that she is getting too old for that sort of thing.

There is a club up here in Preston where they have a basement section which plays a lot of hardcore stuff from the late 70's and early 80's. It atracts students from the university who are finding this stuff for the first time and some really sad old gits. Nothing like an hour long pogo session. For the youngsters amongst you I have provided the following;

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Pogo_(dance)?qsrc=3044

or for the less educated

you can't beat a bit of Debbie Harry. The advantage of being fit at my age is your mates can't last the distance which means they have to go and get the beer. The problem for many of the youngsters who go is that without years of training they often have great difficulty keeping it down.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Lancslad, it's not what you think :lol: . My son's 9 and we were head-banging to this

That was yesterday, and I don't think I've built up enough head-banging resistance in life, lol, coz my neck's still stiff now. Definitely feeling old.

Mannify brilliant track but that's way to fast a tempo to be taking on if out of training or a complete novice. I thought it would be obvious that the only way to attempt technical stuff such as this is with a few pints of guiness down your neck.

My partner might say go back to basics such as Status Quo and build up slowly. Personaly I believe that could be a slipery slope in that it might lead to serious self-esteem issues regarding personal taste.

Many might believe we hit an age where it is time to call it a day on serious physical activity in respect to music, that includes stuff like dancing at weddings and zumba classes etc. Others might see this as a retrograde step backwards I do believe there is a life after 40 even if that means sitting in a quiet corner or a pub next to a fire place with a half pint of bitter listening to Jazz......

Now on second thoughts I have changed my mind, just go for it, we only live once, what's the point of chiropractors if its not for making a few quid out of sad gits who should know better!

My partner might say go back to basics such as Status Quo and build up slowly. Personaly I believe that could be a slipery slope in that it might lead to serious self-esteem issues regarding personal taste.
Hmmm, inclined to agree with you on that one.

Many might believe we hit an age where it is time to call it a day on serious physical activity in respect to music, that includes stuff like dancing at weddings and zumba classes etc. Others might see this as a retrograde step backwards I do believe there is a life after 40 even if that means sitting in a quiet corner or a pub next to a fire place with a half pint of bitter listening to Jazz......

I'm curious. It appears that I project myself as someone who is over 40 :blink: . I'm 35!!! I do flail around the room flinging my hair about with my kids to music quite often. Don't see the point of dancing publicly, though, coz if I'm moving to music I'm doing it for me (and my kids) and the music that's pulsing through my veins, not for the sake of people who might be watching and grading my ability, or lack of it :lol: . What's music for if not flailing? And what are kids for if not for flailing around with them?

Kids are deffinatly useful for mucking about with. A lot of people feel threatened by a face book culture where our lives are open for the world to see, I believe I am intelligent enough not to partake in such activities. In contrast as parents we have to face the ultimate judgement when out kids become teenagers when they say mum/dad can you remeber when I was little and you used to...........

........... do whatever you want I say but remeber it will come back to haunt you one day.

The 40 thing is not a reflection on you Mannify it just a case of me trying to meet in the middle, I even loose out on that one because it would have to be 41, lol.

Well, I guess ultimately I'm hoping they'll judge a home that was a bit crazy, but relatively joyful better than a dismal joyless one. But, yeah, my dignity might get some flack along the way :D

This qualifies under 'adolescence' because I was 19. My father-in-law had a stroke of the haemorrhage kind and my husband, my mother-in-law, my bruv-in-law and I took turns spending time at his bed during the day and through the night talking to him, hoping for improvement. In the more lucid early days I remember talking with him about soup of all things (his idea, not mine, lol), then later as his consciousness was reduced to eye movement I told him how great his boys were and about watching my sister being born. He died after three weeks. It had been an intensive three weeks in which we seemed to live at the hospital, but then he died and we went to McDonalds. The sheer surreal normality of the hours directly after he died made me sing this in my head over and over (well, most especially the bit that starts at 1.55).

The list is endless, but here are a few off the top of my head going back decades!

The Doors People are Strange When the Music's over

The Who The Kids are Alright Happy Jack

Pink Floyd Set the Controls

Soft Machine Why are we sleeping

Leonard Cohen Bird on a wire

Genesis Peter Gabriel Years

Jimi Hendrix

J.S. Bach

Going off topic, later on

The Clash

Stranglers

Gryphon

Jethro Tull

Family

Talking Heads

Nirvana

Beethoven

Saint-Saëns

Baroque / Early Music

It is weird how music can hurl you right back to a certain time and place, with all their emotions, senses and even your own perspectives as they were then. There are few things that can do that so efficiently, are there?

Very true. :)

Through adolescence; Classical music in the form of ''

'' and Opera which sort of evolved into a liking for some kinds of Heavy Metal music of which I do understand the connection now, it is in the arrangement where the Metal I like still is called progressive, symphonic or even operatic. That and the bands;
and of course Nick Drake

And I have said it before, but the band ;

hits all bases for me currently, it being classical, operatic, ancient, death metal, bi polar and heavy. And with that
, Opeth and oddly a lot of Turkish,
and Egyptian Trad/pop music and a bit of Algerian
Edited by Sa Skimrande

The Beatles.

Lindisfarne.

Slade.

David Bowie.

Bob Dylan.

Bruce Springstein.

Alice Cooper.

Cockney Rebel.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

to name a few.

I like this 1995 performance of a song I listened to a lot when I was 12/13. I liked a lot of Tanita Tikaram's stuff, and this was a favourite.

I used to try to perfect singing in her deep, husky way, lol.

Edited by Mannify