Mannify

So, what music got you through adolescence?

For me, nothing's changed much. I still like the same stuff now that I liked then; I've just added to it. My music was Van Morrison and Paul Simon, and a little later on a friend who's now a theorist over in California and whom I haven't seen for decades introduced me to Bob Dylan. Those three were the mainstay of my musical taste. I knew all the words to Graceland, including this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCpyrJiNKs

I remember that at around 13 I was proud to have a favorite actual pop-band, Roxette, but apart from the fact that it reminds me of my first love it didn't impact me as much as Van, Paul and Bob. I can still listen to it a bit now in the right mood, but mainly for nostalgia's sake. There were also songs here and there that I liked, such as Sunshine on a Rainy Day by Zoe, and Message to You Rudy, by The Specials.

Songs that really stick out in my memory from my adolescence:

November Rain - Guns n Roses

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong - Leonard Cohen

Poison - Alice Cooper

...to name but a few...

Taylor swift - Fifteen/Eyes Open/Pretty much every song she's ever wrote!

Aerosmith - Don't wanna miss a thing

Alanis Morissette- You oughta know

Avril Lavigne- Keep holding on

I could name so many more! :)

Edited by ALC

in my teens years i listend to alot of good charlotte, linkin park and the darkness. that was between 2002-2005. then from 2005-2008 i was all about paul weller and the verve. now i just listen to anything you throw at me.

Songs that really stick out in my memory from my adolescence:

November Rain - Guns n Roses

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong - Leonard Cohen

Poison - Alice Cooper

...to name but a few...

oooh ..........I love all those

.........its been a while since I was an adolescent and you may have never heard of half of these

The Cure

TheThe

Talking Heads

Eveything But The Girl

Echo and the Bunnymen.

This is massive for me and really helped me in a big way to look at my 'difference' from a more positive angle.

Music can be really important in getting us to think.

A-S Warrior how can you listen to Paul Weller and the Verve and then go back to listening to 'anything' talking about letting high standards slip mate, lol.

Sorry, subversive attack from the taste police there.

oooh ..........I love all those

.........its been a while since I was an adolescent and you may have never heard of half of these

The Cure

TheThe

Talking Heads

Eveything But The Girl

Echo and the Bunnymen.

My cousin got me into The Cure a bit - he always wore their T-shirts and I became intrigued! And my old geography teacher once made me a mix tape with the Talking Heads on it. I really get into movie soundtracks too. As a child it was The Bodyguard (no accounting for taste, I know!) and in my teens there was The Crow and 10 Things I Hate About You. Now it's Dreamgirls :)

A-S Warrior how can you listen to Paul Weller and the Verve and then go back to listening to 'anything' talking about letting high standards slip mate, lol.

Sorry, subversive attack from the taste police there.

lol i just like to be open minded, otherwise the music will consume you.

Curiously (?), I couldn't stand any music during adolescence. By now, I can tolerate it and sometimes there's some that I like, but that's only since age 21.

These two tracks by one of my favorite bands kind of frame my journey through adolescence in a way

from my aggressive and anxiety driven early years,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B4bsqYxwo0

living in a gritty industrial northern town in decline,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnWVCWNnkQE

through to leaving home and moving to London where everything seemed very false and all for show.

Taylor swift - Fifteen/Eyes Open/Pretty much every song she's ever wrote!

Aerosmith - Don't wanna miss a thing

Alanis Morissette- You oughta know

Avril Lavigne- Keep holding on

I could name so many more! :)

Love those tracks :-) but i dont recognise the 'pretty eyes' 1.

"things can only get better" D:REAM

"a change could do you good" cheryl cole

"pride" U2

Did you feel that at the time, or is it with hindsight?

I deffinately felt it at the time. I can remeber being a bit of a punk when I arrived in London and had heard that a lot of the punks in the City hung out around the Kings Road area, which I presumed was some working class market or something over to the west of the city. I went across there and couldn't believe my eyes. There were a few kids who hung out there but it was all for fashion I bet most of them were public school educated types trying to make a statement to mummy and daddy, in comparrison the year before I had gone down to Toxteth on the third night of the riots to see what it was all about looking for a bit of action so to speak.

So at the time it did feel like a completely different world. I presumed everybody was into the music because of its political meaning, what I found in London was that most people were because it was a 'bit rude' and was exciting on that level.

It is weird how music can hurl you right back to a certain time and place, with all their emotions, senses and even your own perspectives as they were then. There are few things that can do that so efficiently, are there?

Smells can too... or tastes... and certain things can have a feel or a look, or some kind of link... basically all my senses then :devil:

Music is a very strong thing for some people, it can have a time and place in our memories, especially at key emotional times (whether bad or good) also I find that when I was doing a certain task with certain bands and then I hear them later, I remember the feeling of it from before.

That second one I put up was from a really bad time, but it's the sort of thing that got me through it, I remember sitting with certain people listening to that and it meant something that was very important at the time - even when I listened to it on my own.

The smell of a certain deodorant transports me back to my granny's huge double bed that I had to pole-vault onto, reading a book called 'The Aforesaid Child'. Random, huh?

Well, anything (although music would suit the purposes of the thread more closely) that flings you back, not just to a broadish part of your adolescence, but to a very specific place and time - kinda like my granny's bed.

Not that I was suggesting you were ever anywhere near my granny's bed, lol. Anyway, I've thought of an example - this was actually playing relatively loudly next door while I was doing my higher maths GCSE exam :o . What the invigilator was doing I've no idea. Anyway, unlike most people, this song always makes me think of geometry.

Well, anything (although music would suit the purposes of the thread more closely) that flings you back, not just to a broadish part of your adolescence, but to a very specific place and time - kinda like my granny's bed.

Ignoring the Granny's bed thing :lol:

Yeah a fair few, some things I don't really think about until they happen, I might walk through a place and smell a certain thing growing (like a plant, herb, flowers etc) and that can do it, and music is sorta the same way, I don't really think about it, then I might hear a song and find myself transported back to a totally different time or event in my life.

Funeral songs are some of those....

But you were meaning an example weren't you? So... I guess I'd have to pick one of the ones that come to mind....

An example of a sort of mini era of my life - 50% of the Snow Patrol album Final Straw, it reminds me of great times with a mate and them leaving shortly afterwards and everything changed, when I hear the songs from that album I'm taken straight back to how I felt at the time which was like feeling great and sad all at the same time.

There's a lot of examples for mini eras in my life with albums, I can think of half a dozen straight away (without really having to try and think)

And for an actual one off event... (not a funeral)

It reminds me of running out into the street one day in summer and smiling as I started walking and being free, and things were really ######, and I didn't know what to do about any of it, and I heard this song before I went out that day - it's like a reminder of those moments where you get to go and be free for a limited time, but you have to go back and be trapped again at the end of it.

I could add this in respect to music related to specific events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehrCHlFUTQ

I had a new girlfriend and we had been out for a couple of drinks and I had taken a few selective records around to her house. I think it ismportant that you have broad tastes for times like this. Whilst the Sex Pistols do it for me I understand they are not everyones cup of tea. It was about 1:00 and her mum and dad had gone to bed, need I say more?

Thanks Billy!

P.S. Before anyone asks I was talking about the album and not the single.

Edited by LancsLad

Lol, can't follow that, Lancslad :D . But this is the song I had playing on constant repeat throughout all of my three labours (ok this isn't adolescence, sorry). The thing about it is that it's beat is the same as the pulse of a TENS machine, and it goes well with that spaced out feeling you get as you sup on that glorious gas and air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu78maKoBlw

Back to adolescence. Life at home was grey and weird, but I had a friend whose parents took me places with them.. They were comfortably off and so would introduce me to things that were otherwise out of my experience, such as takeaways, lol. This is the song I associate with her.

Edited by Mannify

The Mmm Bop thing has been bugging me. I initially thought it was on the way to Northumberland, but I think it was when I was about 20 (so not strictly under the 'adolescence' banner), a couple of months before they moved to Niort, France, and they took me to Lincoln for the day. I always had a feeling of giddy 'lightness' when I was with them, like I was their kid or something, even though I was an adult, really.

Another thing that wasn't adolescence was sitting in the back of a girl called Kelly's car. Her mum was taking me to a circus. I have no recollection of the circus at all, and only a vague recollection of Kelly - she had dark hair and was bigger than me. What I do remember was Eddy Grant's Electric Avenue playing as I sat in the back of the car, and the knowledge that I was going to a circus.

Sorry, in terms of adolescence I'm going off topic.