Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Sovereignty or a better standard of living

Here is an interesting question. If the economic situation in the UK continues to worsen to the point where social problems and crime are totally out of control then would you be happy for the UK to no longer exist as an independent nation but instead become part of another wealthier country such as China or Iran?

Businesses merge or get taken over when they are no longer financially viable but the same principle can equally apply to nations.

Happy maybe not, but a very distinct possibility or at least an attempted one.

I think power will always encourage feelings of empire building in many individuals. Historically this has been through pysical conquest but in the developed world such concepts have evaporated to be repalced with economics. How far off are we from saying Greece is basically Germanic in economic terms with possibly Italy and Spain to follow. The patterns of the last century are simply being repaeated in another context.

Who really owns Africa, or the USA for that matter a super power heavily reliant on Middle Eastern oil revenues. How far will China want to spread their economic interest. What I do believe that whilst in the past physical conquest was all about mineral resources todays conquests are about markets and I don't think they are as valuable in many ways. I think the danger for individuals interested in nation building in this way is that citizens don't see the same rewards in respect to quality of life and so we might say enough is enough. Without customers potentialy the corporation is dead. The News of the World can be destroyed by opinion in weeks why not Coca Cola or McDonalds over a couple of years? So I don't believe neutral corporate interests are that safe because allegiencies are fragile so the threat if it is there is national expansion.

My own opinion is citizens will always drag these things down when they get out of hand. That is not a pretty sight but often a neccesary one. Maybe we should not be fearful of a nation like China but rather China and others like them should be fearful of themselves. We had our go at it and there are positives, multi culturasim for one in this country but not a lot more beyond that. If it didn't work for us why will it work for others?

Just a few personal thoughts, interesting idea Canopus.

never! we are a gutsy little country. the problem with pepole today is pepole b*tch and moan all the time and never get anything done. "oh i cant do that beacuse my back hurts" "oh no i cant stick to my diet beacuse its too hard" "waaaaa! i had my tonsils taken out ive got to take sick leave"

pepole these days have become like 9 year old school girls, our senior members of socity fort two wars for us, they gave there lives, put there health on the line for us to live today, and what do we all do? moan and look for the first oppertunity to duck out of things when it gets to difficult.

and now obesity is the major problem in our country. no wonder were all in a finacial crisis, the fattys keep eating everything and then gorging there way to the opperating table for gastric bands, heart surgery, lipo etc and costing the nhs (us) money. then you,ve got students that dont pay for a single thing not even taxes.

so the awnser is obvious, fight just like we were in a war. just like hitlers men were comming over and blitzing us. the only way out is hard work and team work.

Here is an interesting question. If the economic situation in the UK continues to worsen to the point where social problems and crime are totally out of control then would you be happy for the UK to no longer exist as an independent nation but instead become part of another wealthier country such as China or Iran?

Businesses merge or get taken over when they are no longer financially viable but the same principle can equally apply to nations.

in a nutshell no absolutely not...........is Iran wealthier than the UK ??