JellyJack

Words misheard in conversations

I mishear a fair few words... it's something that crops up often enough that I notice it's a running theme... cannot think of a single example right now - but names of things are the worst for me, people, places, objects or things - if it's a word I haven't heard, or a way of saying it that I haven't heard then I usually hear something very different to what is being said.

I find I have to sort of tune my head in to different accents too, quite often I can't understand a word someone is saying for a while and eventually it clears up in my head, like tuning in a radio and I start to hear what they are saying.

I get the same thing with songs by certain artists too...

It's quite frustrating, but it can be really funny too sometimes.

I'm the same - different words, though.

It's a condition frequent with people who have ASDs. I can't get certain accents and I have to turn the TV back so many times because I haven't understood what somebody's said!

:)

Wordsmith xxx

There is a scottish woman at work who I can never understand because her accent is so strong. But then other colleagues do struggle sometimes.

People who are dyspraxic or have an auditory processing disorder "mishear" words. The brain misinterprets what the ear "hears". Both of these are on the autistic spectrum

Not quite the same but my young neice (NT) decided Disneyland Paris is Disney Land Palace (as the TV ad always showed a castle/palace) and that Dora the explorer has a bag pack (not a back pack)

I get this all time I have dyspraxia when background noise behind me made worse as like I'm deaf can't hear the words being said really annoying getting easily confused and embarrassing my coping method is laugh it off normally happens at work as I work in a nursery with lots of sensory overload !!!

An old colleague of mine once sent me a text about "rest bite" care instead of "respite" care - love it! :) Also, it's not quite the same thing, but I was at a social thing recently and somebody mentioned "kidney paralysis" instead of "dialysis" and I couldn't stop laughing because I got a picture of a kidney in my head saying "Help! I can't move!". The conversation turned all serious but I was still giggling in the corner. I couldn't help myself and I felt bad but it really tickled me :)

I was always told of for saying 'Fork and Knife' as opposed to 'Knife and Fork'...

How about

"she speaks a lot of languages"

"who eats a lot of sandwiches"

I was always told of for saying 'Fork and Knife' as opposed to 'Knife and Fork'...

That is really picky, i was told off for saying "x and me" instead of "x and i".

Say it out loud Trekster. It's because it sounds like you are swearing, lol. Saying 'Shut up' was swearing in my mum's view - it had to be 'please be quiet'. :rolleyes:

I am forever mishearing things people say and as a result I don't always get the meaning of what people are saying. Ive forever been told aren't you listening to me, well I do but either struggle to keep up and understand or just mishear it all together. It causes a lot of problems and preferr written instructions it's a lot clearer and I have a constant reference to refere to.

For me, instructions need to be clear, concise (no jargon) and logical. When listening to them they may only partially register or not at all. Too much just sends me into a trance which saves me from the stress of having to keep up with it. Bureaucrats love jargon, pointless complexity and are notoriously lacking in common sense. They fear that, if they wrote/spoke normally, their professionalism would be exposed for what it so often is: a sham.

For me, instructions need to be clear, concise (no jargon) and logical. When listening to them they may only partially register or not at all. Too much just sends me into a trance which saves me from the stress of having to keep up with it. Bureaucrats love jargon, pointless complexity and are notoriously lacking in common sense. They fear that, if they wrote/spoke normally, their professionalism would be exposed for what it so often is: a sham.

How right you are I have been saying that all my life and people think I'm mad because I don't like jargon and things that don't make sense but they want you to do it any way.

As you said once you look something it can often be shown to be a sham then they like to claim your the one that's mad or it's because your autistic and arnt capable of understanding but a fact is a fact N T or Autistic if its provable that's the truth but they don't want you to know that so they use your condition to try to validate what they are saying.