smileyK

Itchy inner ear what could this be?

I've had itching for ages read up can have this for months or years main symptom is itching so fits haven't got pain discharge just horrid itch that can't reach to stratch !!! Gr!

Read up about this on NHS direct Robert thanks never even heard of this before! New one on me that one!

HTH :)

Could be hayfever. I get itchy ears (and an itchy throat). My hayfever has been bad for the past few weeks.

I'm sorry but hayfever has nothing to do with itchy ears.

my hay fever bad and it does say itchy ears is a a symptom

Taken from NHS Direct

The symptoms of hay fever include:

• frequent sneezing
  • runny or blocked nose
  • itchy, red or watery eyes (also known as allergic conjunctivitis)
  • an itchy throat, mouth, nose and ears

Less commonly, you may experience:

• the loss of your sense of smell
  • facial pain (caused by blocked sinuses)
  • sweats
  • headaches

Edited by Special_talent123

...it could be an earwig! That's what they always used to say when we were little!

It could be everything and it could be nothing - check it with the doctor if you're worried and it doesn't clear up!

Special_talent123

I have to respectively disagree with your source. The NHS Direct site is incorrect. Hayfever is actually allergic rhinitis and is an inflammation of the nasal passages and sinuses causing swelling, post nasal discharge, sneezing and conjunctivitis - therefore is out of the scope of this topic.

Hayfever is not a contributary factor to itchy ears: itchy ears occur due to irratation of the fine skin lining the ear canal due to otitis externa (fungal infection) or possibly as part of global symptoms of allergy.

excuse me robert but your wrong nhs is nhs. they are right ive used them in years and doctor says same

I work with ear, nose and throat consultants who know what they are talking about - but I will bow to your most superior knowledge

well your comment before mine was sarcastic making it sound like u know more than what u actually know because NHS are medical people.

...and I work for the NHS ...thank you

BTW, (at the risk of sounding sarcastic now...), I have worked for the NHS for over 20 years with many, many doctors (and other medical persona) and they don't always get it right. You don't believe everything a doctor tells you (but then perhaps you yourself do?)

I'm sorry but this is way off SmileyK's original post so I am saying no more other than keeping on topic :)

I have hardly ever had hayfever until June this year I got it really bad as I was doing a placement at a very rural school. My ears did itch slightly as did my skin on my cheeks and hands,I don't think it was the hayfever directly rather my bodies reaction to the allergen.

As for itchy ears there are many good products to helps clear out the ears which are not too expensive,if it still itches then see the GP. Don't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ears...so earbuds are'nt advisable.