Special_talent123

Autistic and Bipolar Comorbidity

How many people here have autism or aspergers along with Bipolar. There was a case conference regarding a reassessment and I am allowed to have a reassessment- it looks like they are looking at Bipolar Type II as i caught my key worker type in the internet the other day and her reaction was back back quickly. She wont tell me what was said in the meeting other than I am allowed a reassessment and it be with a different psychiatrist. These have come about even if tested for PTSD come about because i am detoriating in myself and because of the traumatic event that happened to me which had no therapy for I am unable to move forward but protect myself. I stay in a lot and go out if need to IE food/Rent. I am scared being locally and I am fine if i am away from where I am like if im in london, bristol I am fine but I am not locally. At the moment I havent had therapy because I had nurses preventing me from getting it because they kept saying i have a personality disorder. Its only the trauma is eventing me i tell u if i go out locally I have a panic attack and a flashback as well. Listening to music and watching tv are ones that arent long term use as i do those daily and it doesnt help one bit.

I'm Bipolar but don't know which type because the doctors refuse to talk to me about it, normally they send you a letter out outlining what they discussed in meetings but they even refused to send them out to me saying it'll rase my anxieties. So at the moment all I know is that I have Bipolar affective disorder as well as BPD without no reasoning behind why I have it.

in assessment I am told straight away, then have a letter. Have u read a book why am i still depressed, managing the ups and downs of soft bipolar and bipolar 2.

the internet say bipolar effective disorder is type 2

I thought Bipolar affective disorder were for both 1 and 2 but I'm unsure. When I asked the doctor which one he said don't concern yourself about it

Are you hoping to be diagnosed with Bipolar special_talent?

I often feel I would fit type of bi-polar disorder as often high mood one minute and crashing low mood the next comes suddenly from no where my parents noticed it I spend lot of money when depressed and often feel de attached zoned out from the world !

Hello

http://nitajackson.com/

She is autistic and bipolar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nita-Jackson/e/B0034OUEQY

Is a link to her book which mentions bipolar symptoms and Aspergers.

i met her and she is lovely signed my copy of her book.

oo nita jackson she was at that conference with paul isaac I got that book too.

I am having the reassessment october 22nd which apparently its a general. Bipolar may turn up when telling me i just dont know yet

Edited by Special_talent123

Is bipolar regularly associated with being autistic. How do they define the difference within typical traits of the autistic person.

"

What causes bipolar disorder?

The cause of bipolar disorder is not completely clear. It seems that a combination of different things can increase your chances of developing bipolar disorder.

Genetics (physical)

If someone in your immediate family (parents, brother or sister) has bipolar disorder, you are five to ten times more likely to develop bipolar disorder than someone who has no family history.

The physical, genetic, cause of bipolar disorder is not clear-cut. Researchers have not found any exact genes that cause bipolar disorder. Different genes have been linked to the development of bipolar disorder.

You can find out more about how mental illness runs in families in our ‘Does mental illness run in families?’ section.

Brain chemicals

If you have bipolar disorder, you may have uneven levels of particular brain chemicals. Different chemicals affect your mood and behaviour and could make you develop mania or depression.

Environmental and social factors

Life events can trigger symptoms of bipolar disorder. Stressful or distressing events, such as childhood abuse, can increase your chances of developing depressive episodes. Too much stress can trigger symptoms of bipolar disorder."

http://www.rethink.org/diagnosis-treatment/conditions/bipolar-disorder/causes

There seems to be a really close link between ASD and Bipolar. Im not exactly sure what it is, but the symptoms seem to be fairly similar, and I bet a lot of people with ASD get misdiagnosed as having bipolar when they actually have ASD.

I asked a friend of mine who carers for a relative who has bipolar. The conclusions we both reached are that if you have one disability affecting the brain eg autism then you are more likely to develop another disability affecting the brain eg bipolar.

Me personally, have autism, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, insomnia, cptsd and traits of other disabilities affecting the brain.

Also you can have both bipolar and borderline personality disorder, but distinguishing between rapid cycling bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder is very hard even from the most experienced diagnosticians.