Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

car seat belts

Buying a special harness for car journeys, 4 year old lets him self out of belt at every chance and jumps around the car, even lets himself out of the car! Very dangerous and very irritating having to keep stopping to strap him back in! And advice on what one to buy? Needs to be one he cant undo. So far only one we have found is just over £100 and its for childeren with challenging behaviour. He had undone ALL seat belts we have tried so far. thanx

As I stated we are buying one, this post was just to ask if anyone knows of any other harnesses other than the one that we found for £100. Maybe it should read "WE ARE buying a special harness for journeys" I wrote it in a rush so maybe its not clear what I meant it to say.

Hiya. There's a website called Cheap Disability Aids and they sell a seatbelt guard retailing at £9 which fits over the seatbelt. Would this be an alternative to a harness? I'm sure there will be other sites and products out there too.

:)

I would get in touch with the community Occupational therapist and ask them if they know of where you can get something like this. OT's are very good at either having, or having contacts for such equipment.

Have you looked at crelling harnesses? They aren't cheap but they are very good quality and I know my friend who has a child who can get out of anything, can't get out of his.

Lynne

Lynda I had a look at the one you suggested, but i think he could work out how to remove it, hes too clever lol. But thanx for suggestion. Lynne, The site you suggested is the one we found the £100 challenging behaviour harness on... Were ordering one asap :) Hopefully it makes car journeys safer and less stressful for us all.

We had a Crelling harness when my lad was younger. It wasn't that he would escape, but he was extremely floppy when little and couldn't hold himself sitting upright, he would start to flop to one side on long journies and would fall out the side of the seat-belt. We had a five point harness which held him nice and snug and safe. I do remember it was a bit pricey, but it was worth the investment.

~ Mel ~

We have a harness now, its amazing! We can actually drive without having to pull over every 5 mins to put him back in his seat :D well worth the money. His new pram arrives soon, the old one has buckled under his weight so weve got a big Maclaren one that he wont be to heavy for and also wont be able to drag his feet along the floor and jam them in the wheels!

That sounds very positive! Hope it continues like this! :)