Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Meeting held about respite funding

There was a meeting between the LA, Health and Social Services about funding for some residential stays at his school yesterday. I'm almost dreading having to phone for the outcome of that meeting because if they have not agreed how they will fund it, that will force me to have to appeal the non-amendment of the Statement after the AR.

I was advised by ipsea to write to the people attending the meeting to set out exactly how severe my son's needs are, and to remind them of what the law says regarding these issues.

These needs were not detailed in his Statement after the Annual Review, which they should have been. And the LA know that.

I'm due to start work end October, and i've been put in an impossible situation where social services have said that my son cannot be left on his own [which I agree with], as it would be a safeguarding issue. However he would not cope in any 'after school club', and needs to be residential at least for part of the week. If they agree to that I can try to find family members who can be with him at other times. But if they have not agreed the funding I really don't know how I am going to work and be at home with him at the same time!

Previously I received Incapacity Benefit, which helped us meet the mortgage and bills etc. But since the re-assessment process I have been refused ESA - which I am appealing. But that means financially we cannot cope unless I am working too.