rufusrufus

Started a Spanish course today...

I've never started a thread before - ooer.

I started a Spanish course today. The teacher seems really lovely. She noticed that I'd written on the induction form that I have AS and asked me what she could do to help me. I told her I might get overwhelmed and just duck out for a couple of minutes, and she was fine with it. I'm really not good with the hubbub of people chattering, although it wasn't as bad as it could have been, because during the activities people were all chatting about the same thing, rather than endless mayhem of small talk / anything goes. I still really struggled with the "go around the room and ask people whatever" which we did as an ice breaker, and then engaging with people, asking them questions in Spanish. Actually, it was quite excruciating, but I knew it was going to be, that's why I'm there, to challenge myself, so I tried to just get on with it. I hope I can stick with it because I love learning, and I want to be a vaguely functioning member of society at some point, and I think that engaging in this sort of thing will hopefully help towards that! To be honest, the actual language learning is the easiest bit, it's all the social stuff that comes with it. But I love languages, and the whole point of language is to communicate with other peple!

However, tonight I'm having a bit of a blip, I think because I'm a bit overwhelmed, and I'm terrified that when my Job Centre woman knows I'm doing this course, she's going to assume that really quickly I'm going to be ready to go back to work, and I'm going to lose my benefits (ESA, DLA, I also have depression and anxiety), and my home, and end up destitute! Yes, I catastrophise a lot! :s Wrapped up in all that is also the fear of change, I guess. I'm really trying to be rational and employ my CBT techniques but I thought posting here might ease the panic a little bit, I'm sorry if I'm just waffling on.

Eeek!

I love languages! I used to dream in French occasionally, although that was 10 years ago, and my brain very effectively dumps what isn't in current use. I've also learned Farsi to superficial conversational level, and can read and write the script. I love grammar.

Sorry, I'm probably not much help with the catastrophising, since I don't have AS, but I just had to join in the language love-fest. Of course you know that, rationally, a Spanish course will not make you forgo your benefits, but that's not what you're saying, really, is it? Hope it goes well for you, coz like you said, learning rocks :)

I love languages! I used to dream in French occasionally, although that was 10 years ago, and my brain very effectively dumps what isn't in current use. I've also learned Farsi to superficial conversational level, and can read and write the script. I love grammar.

Sorry, I'm probably not much help with the catastrophising, since I don't have AS, but I just had to join in the language love-fest. Of course you know that, rationally, a Spanish course will not make you forgo your benefits, but that's not what you're saying, really, is it? Hope it goes well for you, coz like you said, learning rocks :)

I generally drop a few French words into a sentence here and there because they come to mind more easily than the English, and a few German words too, but I only did that for 2 years, whereas both my parents speak French so I've been immersed in it for my whole life. Farsi sounds awesome! My parents also used to speak a bit of Arabic as they lived in North Africa for a while. I love how Arabic looks on the page. I love grammar too, though my own use of it can be a little indiosyncratic at times. As far as I'm concerned, if you know the rules, you're allowed to break them, like in music theory, but it's when people cl'early, dont' no waht their doing; that annoy's me ;) ;) ;)

Can I just say that this might be your first thread, but I always find your posts lovely?

Thank-you, that's really sweet of you to say. I honestly never know when I'm saying something worthwhile, or just regurgitating my thoughts onto the computer screen, much to everyone else's annoyance!

Well, anyway, I had a good sob last night, and this morning I phoned the DLA people and told them that on my original claim form, I put that AS was suspected, and that now it's confirmed. She asked if I want them to re-assess my case, so I said that nothing's got any better, I still suffer with depression and anxiety, but in the interests of open-ness and honesty, I should let them know. She said "We don't award on what's "wrong" with someone, but what their needs are", so I said nothing's changed, but even if they re-assessed me, I don't think they'd give me any more money, so, and I quote "ummm...errrrrr....." and she kind of said "ok, thanks then". And that was that. So I don't know what's going to happen, hopefully nothing, but I was worried that when I reapply next year and I say I was diagnosed in August, that they get snotty and say "well you should have told us then".

And I decided that my support worker's leaving at the end of the week, but before he goes, he can phone the Job Centre for me and ask the questions I have. One phone call has drained me enough for one day!! :)

So now I'm considering all things Spanish, and whether she remembered to give us any homework, or whether she did and I've forgotten, etc etc. I have a nice shiny file, and some notes I can write up and play with - happy days :)

Ha, a fellow language geek! Yeah, I know what you mean about grammar. My grammar isn't always hot, because I can't always be bothered; but if you ever spot a preposition at the end of my sentences you can be sure that I'm conscious of it and have made my peace with it :lol: . Coz, you know, sometimes it can just be silly.

Farsi is a great language. Having learnt the script it's actually gloriously straight forward because there is no gendering - less so than English, even - and the verbs are largely compound verbs. So if you can conjugate about ten verbs, you can conjugate 'em all :D .

I've always loved languages. When I was eight, I longed to learn Gurjurati. I was always interested in Asian languages, and I think variant scripts have been a particular lure. My next language, though, if I ever get around to it, will be Welsh. My middle son seems to love the sound of Welsh, and frequents Welsh children's websites. So I do fancy learning it, and it would be cool to trounce into a shop and interact in Welsh while on holiday in Wales :D .

I would have thought that your diagnosis would support your DLA, rather than affect it adversely. Hope all goes ok with that, because I know from my family how stressful the whole thing can be.

Edited by Mannify

Ha, a fellow language geek! Yeah, I know what you mean about grammar. My grammar isn't always hot, because I can't always be bothered; but if you ever spot a preposition at the end of my sentences you can be sure that I'm conscious of it and have made my peace with it :lol: . Coz, you know, sometimes it can just be silly.

Exactly. I do take certain liberties, but I like to think I do so with enough authority to get away with it! :P

Farsi is a great language. Having learnt the script it's actually gloriously straight forward because there is no gendering - less so than English, even - and the verbs are largely compound verbs. So if you can conjugate about ten verbs, you can conjugate 'em all :D .

That sounds awesome! :)

I've always loved languages. When I was eight, I longed to learn Gurjurati. I was always interested in Asian languages, and I think variant scripts have been a particular lure. My next language, though, if I ever get around to it, will be Welsh. My middle son seems to love the sound of Welsh, and frequents Welsh children's websites. So I do fancy learning it, and it would be cool to trounce into a shop and interact in Welsh while on holiday in Wales :D .

Welsh would be amazing. And yes, I'm sure you could get plenty of use out of it :)

I would have thought that your diagnosis would support your DLA, rather than affect it adversely. Hope all goes ok with that, because I know from my family how stressful the whole thing can be.

Did you ever make up a code and then learn to read and write it fluently?

No, I just used to write and write and write and then write some more in English. I wrote 100 pages of a novel when I was 9 or 10 :) It was terrible, but my Mum's still got it somewhere (note to self: find it and BURN IT!!!!) :P

Don't burn it!!!!! :o:lol: I liked writing a lot, but I don't think I quite reached your quantities of it, by the sound of it. How about reading, then?

It should be burned, it's cripplingly embarassing! Blatant wish-fulfilment drivel! :) Oh the shaaaaame! :P I do love reading too though, I'm reading a biography of Daphne Du Maurier at the moment - I adore her! And I just read Forrest Gump, which is quite different from the film, but very good. What do you like to read? :)

My reading tastes are highly eclectic. I don't think I'm particularly well read because my choices tend to be random, rather than based on the estimations of others; although I did read Jane Eyre, unabridged, when I was eight, lol. I like non-fiction as much as fiction. I also have an embarrassing addiction to picturebooks - we have a whole floor in our house which is buckling under the weight of them - coz they're for the kids, right? I just find something electric about the combination of words and pictures in many children's books. A favourite is Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne. My addiction was done no favours by my recent degree module - Children's Literature. I loved lots of the books I read during that module - my favourite was Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. I also loved Treasure Island, Junk by Melvin Burgess and Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Reckon you've got to be called Philip to write good children's books, lol.

My current reading is strictly exam related :rolleyes: . Before that, I enjoyed reading Medieval Women by Henrietta Leyser, which is more thorough on the subject of women's lives in the Dark Ages than one can imagine possible. :) .

Edited by Mannify

My reading tastes are highly eclectic. I don't think I'm particularly well read because my choices tend to be random, rather than based on the estimations of others; although I did read Jane Eyre, unabridged, when I was eight, lol. I like non-fiction as much as fiction. I also have an embarrassing addiction to picturebooks - we have a whole floor in our house which is buckling under the weight of them - coz they're for the kids, right? I just find something electric about the combination of words and pictures in many children's books. A favourite is Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne. My addiction was done no favours by my recent degree module - Children's Literature. I loved lots of the books I read during that module - my favourite was Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. I also loved Treasure Island, Junk by Melvin Burgess and Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. Reckon you've got to be called Philip to write good children's books, lol.

My current reading is strictly exam related :rolleyes: . Before that, I enjoyed reading Medieval Women by Henrietta Leyser, which is more thorough on the subject of women's lives in the Dark Ages than one can imagine possible. :) .

When my tutor once said, in the middle of a lecture: "Who made the Classics, classics?" I realised I hadn't really read any! So I set about doing so, though I still don't think I've managed an entire Dickens. I loved Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights etc., I adore Daphne Du Maurier. I also used to collect children's books, well, I guess I still do, I just haven't bought any in a while. I LOVE The Little Prince.

The Medieval Women book sounds cool. I've got a book upstairs called "Women's Madness - Myth Or Mysogeny" which I keep meaning to read but again, never finished! Grr Ruthy!

In a library I'm like a kid in a sweet shop :)

Yeah, I'm sure I should be good and read some classics :whistle: . A lot of them are free on the Kindle, so there's no excuse, really. The 'Women's Madness' book sounds great :D .

Yeah the first chapter was good, but I get side-tracked. :) Argh the week seems to have gone really quickly and it's almost time for Spanish again! Eek!

An me gusta mucho el cochina de espanola, el paella este me favourita.

translation, Oh i really like Spanish food and paella is my favourite.

i learnt Spanish at school and i really enjoyed speaking the language. i am considering

a Spanish speaking course but im unsure which level im at. i got a grade B in Spanish

at school but that was many years ago.

An me gusta mucho el cochina de espanola, el paella este me favourita.

translation, Oh i really like Spanish food and paella is my favourite.

i learnt Spanish at school and i really enjoyed speaking the language. i am considering

a Spanish speaking course but im unsure which level im at. i got a grade B in Spanish

at school but that was many years ago.

I've started with a "First Steps" course and am now moving onto the "Year One" course. I'm enjoying the language, it is just like breaking a code, and it's so satisfying, but the social interaction is draining. Still, I started it as a challenge to myself, and it's definitely that! I'm going to try to stick with it as long as possible, but won't beat myself up too much if it's too much to cope with after a while - luckily I only have to pay the admin fee as I'm in the Work-Related Activity Group of ESA. :)