Noskcaj86

Big meltdown yesterday over a drink!

So yesterday we were at the leisure centre and Jack decides he wants a fruit shoot... As hed has already had chocolate AND sweets that day and has gone a bit hyper from them I say "no, you cant have a fruit shoot, have water or apple juice" Then the meltdown began, kicking and screamiong on the cafe floor. He gers addected by the ###### they put in to fruit shoots, they make him hyper active along with lots of other foord/drinks including chocolate and sweets, As hed already had some choc/sweets for a treat and it was already affecting his energy levels I couldnt let him have more junk and make things even worse! But of course he doesnt understand that...Thinks im just being mean! So we had the tantrum, started in the cafe and lasted 10-15 mins until we go to the park. These are common for him so im use to handling them now, and they usually only last 10-15ish mins ish maximum. I need to find out what exactly makes him hyper, and cut it from his diet, not been able to pin point what it is yet though.Anyone else have similar problem with food/behaviour change? I know giving him choc and sweets is asking for trouble but his 2 brothers were having them as a treat and it doesnt seem fair to say no to Jack but yes to the other 2, and anyway that would cause a MASSIVE meltdown! Hes become hyper after having a ham sandwhich before?!

my son is the same we have big kick offs we had one this morning becouse i said no to a doughnut for brakfast i have the kicking and screaming with also last up to 15 mins , with thomas i dont not think it is any thing todo with the food he has becouse he only eat a few things toast and chicken kives , kit kats and 10p bags of chrips but if i give him frosties he gose nutts and all so fruit shoots are a no no with thomas .

I would seriously trial an artificial free regime for all the family. The children described above seem addicted which explains their reaction. 'Multicoloured mayhem', 'dietary interventions and autism' and 'special diets for special kids' are a few ideas of resources you might wish to trial.

http://www.hacsg.org.uk/ ......explains what interventions you could trial.

If you change the whole family over then there shouldn't be any question about what is and isn't fair.

Milk free can be introduced within a week but the effects of gluten can take months to wear off. Also dietary interventions really helped my life.

Today he had a freshly made milk shake and was then buzzing with energy. You can see his hands trembling, theres so much energy ready to explode. My other kids dont get affected by food like this, and why would a ham sandwhich send him hyper? He eats healthily most of the time, although he does have chocolate and choc milk shake quite a lot, i know its not doing him any good but its hard to cut it out now hes so use to them. He eats lots of apples, oranges, bananas. He does love dairy products but he also likes soya alternatives. He gets plenty of good food, its just usually along side daily choc or strawberry milk shake too! Would love to know what sends him so crazy, his brothers can eat the same food as him and be fine but Jack is left buzzing, it makes his stims worse and hes behaviour gets worse too...

Hi

we have these problems with Zo, now 16. we took certain additives out of her diet which was quite difficult at the beginning.

We removed- ASPARTAME, an artificial sweetener found in a lot of sweets, drinks, crisps etc

MSG, Mono-Sodium Glutamate, a flavour enhancer also found in crisps, sweets, drinks and a lot of other things

SODIUM BENZOATE, not sure what this is but it's in a lot of drinks

It does get easier to get them only things without artificial additives. Zo now only drinks fresh fruit juices or water. Definately nothing containing caffeine and definately no sweeteners.

Good Luck and hope this helps a little

I'm addicted to gluten and dairy products and cannot have any at all. It took me 10 years to even contemplate trying gluten and dairy free living. See if the 'dietary interventions and autism' book is in your library.

Also totally agree with the aspartame, msg and benzoate interventions. Zosmum how do you find hair and soap products without benzoates? im having difficulty sourcing some decent ones.

Aww :( sorry to hear that.

You just need to keep track of what he's eating (as best you can) and make notes on days where he's seemed more hyper than usual - if you do it for long enough you'll surely see a pattern.

I used to be the opposite and have no energy, and I found it hard to constantly write down what I eat, but then I found an app called myfitnesspal - which is for calorie counting really, but to be honest, it's useful just for keeping track of what I've eaten. If you don't have a phone which you can get apps on, you can access it online via your PC. It's great because you just type a food or drink in and it finds it and it usually has quite a bit of info included, like calories, but also sugar - which could be useful - maybe some things he has have more sugar in that you realise? I know I was shocked at how high in sugar some things really are :( It has a section (on the app at least) to add notes for the day as well. :)

My brother used to have a lot of tantrums in public, growing up, so I know how it is to deal with it!

Good luck - I hope you find what it is that makes him hyper :)

I am careful not to let him have sweeteners and other additives, but sugar is one thing I do struggle with stopping. Thanx for advice :)