Joanne2

Just been diagnosed...

Hi

I'm 42 and female was just diagnosed yesterday, after years and years of wondering. I was always your classic Martian in the Playground and although I did well academically, I always felt socially out of step; on paper I was very able, but I never stayed in a job for very long - I didn't quite understand this at the time, but having to interact with work colleagues all day was really too stressful for me.

In a lot of ways I've been very fortunate: I have a husband with a good job and a son who - touch wood - doesn't seem to be experiencing the peer problems that I did. I've published books - poetry and autobiography. What I've never really been able to do for any length of time is support myself. Can't drive, find crossing roads frightening, can't handle crowds, can't figure out how to put on a wrapover dress, can't get my fingers to snap - the list goes on... and I know that if I don't watch my behaviour all the time, I disconcert people.

I decided to go for the diagnosis between I've lost both my parents and my younger brother, and I felt the need to clarify where I might now fit in the world, with so much gone.

Thanks for reading. I hope there are aspects of this that others can relate to.

Joanne

Hello and welcome.

It sounds, from your post, that we have a lot in common. I was in my 40's when I was diagnosed and I, also, have a husband and son. I can drive but it makes me very anxious but the rest of your list could have been written by me. After spending my whole life thinking I would never fit in I've found there are lots of people like me on this forum and I think you will too.

L

Hi there, and welcome. You might be feeling quite overwhlemed with the diagnosis and everything, but I recommend "Aspergirls" and "22 Things A Woman With Asperger's Wants Her Partner To Know" both by Rudy Simone. They were both like reading my own life story. Anyway, welcome :)

Thank you. It's funny you should mention Rudy Simone's books - it was reading 'Aspergirls' that convinced me that I should go for a diagnosis. Like you, I found myself in there. :-)

Ooh I'll look out for those other books, thanks Special_talent123 :)

It's funny, because I've been in the mental health system for just over a decade, and so many possible diagnoses have been bandied around - it was just such a relief when I read the Female Asperger's Traits on Rudy Simone's website and I felt "I'm home!!!!" :) Then I had to convince my mum that I wasn't crazy and imagining it all! That was fun :s :)

Welcome.

I'm 41, got my dx at age 37 after my son got his at age 3. Fortunately, no problems with my job so far.

Books recommended: "Women from another planet". "Mozart and the whale" (Mary Newport's part). "Songs of the gorilla nation".

Hello, I've just been diagnosed also, at 32, have a hubby and a little girl. As Linnet said, it was very much like reading my own story...i'm finding that A LOT here! It's very strange to think that we individually grew up so very different from everyone around us and thought we were the only one!....Then suddenly you find this site and realise that you're not so different after all...there are loads of us, all saying strikingly simmilar things. I used to obsess sooo much over the differences between myself and other people. Now it's a relief to know i'm not so alien. The thing i am most shocked by in life so far is that there are SO many people just like me! It's the one thing i always longed for but never expected to find.

I couldn't agree more, Merry, I was saying the same thing to someone yesterday :)

Hi there, and welcome. You might be feeling quite overwhlemed with the diagnosis and everything, but I recommend "Aspergirls" and "22 Things A Woman With Asperger's Wants Her Partner To Know" both by Rudy Simone. They were both like reading my own life story. Anyway, welcome :)

Totally agree there Rudys books are ace :-), welcome Joanne and I hope your diagnosis can be processed along with what's happened to your family.