Sign in to follow this  
Asun86

Confirmation Of Aspergers ?

After many years I finally had my assessment in regards to an Autistic disorder and was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome on the 8th of August, but I haven't had any written confirmation.

The problem with this is I cannot get Employment support allowance as neither me or I my doctor has any confirmation.

So I wondered what would be a reasonable amount of time to wait for written confirmation ?

Thanks.

Edited by Asun86

The guy who diagnosed me wrote me a letter before he had finished his official report, saying "You have a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome" (he actually did put it in bold!). He did this because, after speaking to my Mum on the phone, she mentioned that I was anxious that it wasn't real, that I'd imagined the whole thing, because my support worker who was meant to be present during the assessment, couldn't be there. So he phoned me up and said "Ruth - you have Asperger's!" just so I was sure, and then wrote the letter I mentioned. So hopefully whoever diagnosed you would be willing to do the same, especially as your grounds for wanting one are more official than me just being silly!? :) On Thursday the guy who diagnosed me brought round the official report too, and discussed a care plan with me. I'm quite excited now! :)

It was done at the Lewisham Adult Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinic (LAASDC) by a Dr Sajid Suleman, Consultant Psychiatrist.

There were other people present taking notes and it lasted for around 3 hours, I have had many other assessments before that, this was about 2 and a half years down the line from the first assessment.

Kind of worrying now as my GP has contacted them but I still haven't heard anything so my mind starts to wonder what if it's not official.

I had the same worry after my assessment: "What if they've changed their minds?" etc. If you are able to manage a phone call (I struggle with them, myself), I would give them a call in the morning. Or is there someone who could phone for you? I hope it gets resolved for you quickly. I know what it's like to worry about something like this.

Thanks for the replies guys and girls.

I called the LAASDC this morning and it turns out that psychiatrist has a huge back log of paper work, receptionist said he was on holiday also.

In some way that doesn't really help me getting support with Aspergers support groups or financial support with ESA as I can't say to my GP "He said it in words that I have Aspergers, there needs something written as proof. I guess I shall have to just wait.

Thanks.

I hope this doesn't sound really patronising, but well done for phoning them up! That would be a massive deal for me :) Could you explain to his receptionist that you need something in writing ASAP to help with your benefits application? Or maybe your GP could phone the psychiatrist for you, if he needs "official" confirmation, even verbally, of what you said? If that satisfies your GP enough to sign your sick note, I'm not sure if the DWP will need your diagnosis in writing, or they might start your benefits anyway, and just ask you to send them the written confirmation when you get it? I think when I first went on ESA, I just had to send off my sick note from the doctor, nothing else. I'm not sure, though, just a thought. :)

Thanks Rufusrufus, I really do hate using the phone, even if it's just touch dial, they're evil contraptions, so what you have said isn't in anyway patronising to me. The best they could do was to forward an email to the psychiatrist with an urgent status.

The annoying thing is the ESA people want me to go for some interview on Saturday about my ESA claim, rather stressful all this diagnosis and then trying to get everything sorted with the Doctors, I'm hoping I can get out of it, the claim isn't even about my Aspergers but my physical problems and that of depression.

Thank you for your information and support.

All the best.

Adios !

Edited by Asun86

Ok good, I'm glad I wasn't patronising :) It is all really stressful, isn't it? I feel for you. If you could face another phone call, could you phone ESA people and ask if the appointment could be conducted over the phone? If not, have you got someone who could go with you? I also experience depression and anxiety, and after I burst into tears after having to wait in the Job Centre waiting room for 30mins, the nice lady said she'd try to do as many of my appointments over the phone as possible :) That was before I got my AS diagnosis. My support worker phoned her last week to update her and tell her about my diagnosis and she said that I would have been due an appointment in October, but because of the diagnosis, she now doesn't need to see me until after Christmas. I'm not sure what logic lies behind that (if any) but I'm not going to argue with it! She also said "Ohhhhh, no wonder she got so upset waiting all that time!" ....well actually I think most people would get a bit upset waiting all that time, but anyway, I'll let that go, she's trying to understand ;)

Good luck with everything. :)

I have a very helpful sister who does help out with the phone calls etc, I do feel a bit of a burden to keep asking her to do stuff but I have to, to get some things done.

I had huge problems with the job center also, I almost cried when I read you cried because it brought back so many bad memories, I can relate to stressful situations at the job center.

I'm glad you have gained a few months where it will be less stressful for you, is always nice to not have appointments as they tend to create the anxiety.

Thanks, all the best to you to.

Ok good, I'm glad I wasn't patronising :) It is all really stressful, isn't it? I feel for you. If you could face another phone call, could you phone ESA people and ask if the appointment could be conducted over the phone? If not, have you got someone who could go with you? I also experience depression and anxiety, and after I burst into tears after having to wait in the Job Centre waiting room for 30mins, the nice lady said she'd try to do as many of my appointments over the phone as possible :) That was before I got my AS diagnosis. My support worker phoned her last week to update her and tell her about my diagnosis and she said that I would have been due an appointment in October, but because of the diagnosis, she now doesn't need to see me until after Christmas. I'm not sure what logic lies behind that (if any) but I'm not going to argue with it! She also said "Ohhhhh, no wonder she got so upset waiting all that time!" ....well actually I think most people would get a bit upset waiting all that time, but anyway, I'll let that go, she's trying to understand ;)

Good luck with everything. :)

I didnt know u still had to have a medical? I havent had any. Especially my renewal 2nd time.

I didnt know u still had to have a medical? I havent had any. Especially my renewal 2nd time.

Sorry, this wasn't for the ATOS capability for work assessment, it was Job Centre appointments. I was put in the Work Related Activity Group after the ATOS assessment.

First I applied for ESA, which I was granted, and the GP signed a sick note because of my depression and anxiety.

Then after 8-12 weeks (I think) I had to have the ATOS assessment.

The result of the assessment was that I am capable of work related activity.

Because of this I have to see an advisor at the job centre every few months, although she understands that I'm not ready to actually work yet. She acknowledges that I'm making an effort to engage with the outside world, and that's the first step. :)

I next ATOS assessment is next year, 12 months after the last one.

Hope that clears it up :) The whole system baffles me, to be honest! I struggle to find my way through it :)

I understand now

Cool, it is all really confusing though, I think! :)

i literally thought WRAG was a actual group where u go to a group with other people?

Not as far as I'm aware. My partner is on Job Seeker's though, and sometimes he has to go to a group thing, I think it's advice about preparing for job interviews, things like that, I'm not really sure though. The WRAG just means that you have been classed as "able to partake in work-related activity" - this means that you might not be able to hold down a 9-5, full time job, but there is some potential for being able to carry out some kind of work. :)

Hi guys, hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am in my mid forties and have suspected I may be an Aspie for many yers since my mother suggested it to me. I am married with children and have a decent job but have stalled in my career, mainly due to non-existent interpersonal skills.

My wife just thinks that I am rude and ani-social, but I just cannot cope with social occasions at all no matter how hard I try.

I do not want to use anything as an excuse, but I cannot work out whether a formal diagnosis would be useful or not. I do not want a label, but it might be helpful for others to understand that I am not choosing to be like this. Most of the time I feel like I am on a different planet from everyone else and it is very lonely here!

Your collective wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering about this as well.

From what I can gather, a diagnosis is not absolute, so it could go either way depending on who makes it. I have convinced myself that I have AS, so if I got a negative diagnosis, I am sure I would need to go for a second opinion. The goalposts for diagnosis change with on going research, possibly one day it could be determined by a scan of some sort.

On the other hand, if I have a positive diagnosis, it is just a label, it won't change me. There is no cure, and there doesn't seem to be much support for adults. I find reading, and being able to talk about it (this is the hard part), will help to resolve the question.

On a practical level I am proceeding on this assumption, and re-evaluating my life with this different perspective, so far it has been very helpful. I am trying to develop strategies which acknowledge my differences, rather than trying to hide them and be NT. Even the term NT was a revelation for me, I had never heard of the concept before.

I am still undecided, but these are just some of my thoughts.

I took a while deciding whether to get diagnosed, now I wish I hadn't waited so long. Your right it doesn't change who you are but it does help others understand - that is, those who want to understand- who you are, why things have to be done just so and of course is a much more positive explanation for the social problems. One downside has been that indivduals that I thought might understand me better when given the label have not really taken it on board and just think it's nothing - i.e. I'm still not what they want me to be-but that's a universal thing rather than a specific ASD problem. I am still figuring out how to approach life post-diagnosis but I know it is helping me accept myself more and it has given me ambition to try and help NT's understand ASD more- projects are in progress- rather than sitting thinking about what I am or not. I know who I am and I'm taking that diagnosis on board 100%. At some point I hope to be quite open about it to acquaintances and perhaps be viewed differently-or ignored- not sure about that one. But apart from all that you would also be eligible for DLA benefit and you should get whatever support you need if diagnosed through the NHS-I am getting CBT at the minute

It took me a long time to decide to get assessed, and I was very worried that I would not be diagnosed with Asperger's, which would leave me with a lot of questions - "if it's not AS, then what is wrong with me?!" etc. However, I was assessed and diagnosed, and I'm really glad to have the diagnosis. It's allowed me to forgive myself for being different and not being able to make certain things in my life work. In fact, in hindsight, I'm very proud of how much I achieved without having had a diagnosis! Having a diagnosis doesn't change who you are or what you've been through. Some people will respond favourably to hearing you have AS, others will respond negatively, but people will do both these things whether or not you have a diagnosis, based on how you come across to people anyway, so for me, it's been a good thing. The availability of support for adults seems to be a post code lottery, but I wasn't expecting support as a result of my diagnosis, I just wanted to know whether I was imagining the fact that I really identified with AS, or if I was going crazy. Personally, I think AS is awesome, and I'm happy to be Aspie, but that doesn't change the fact that we don't live in an Aspie world, but a neurotypical one, which is where (I feel) that most of the problems occur, in their reluctance to understand us.

Best wishes in whatever path you choose to take. :)

Help !! This is my first attempt on this site and I am so confused its unreal. I am 68 years old and believe I have ASP. I am having great diffuculty trying to find out how to get diagnosed. I have managed to assess myself by repeatedly doing the online tests. My GP want is trying to arrange councilling for anger management (where the spell checker ??)

The only reason I want a diagnosis is so I can verify to myself that I am not stupid. !!!

Can anyone guide me as to how I can get diagnosed. I am happy to go private !!!

I finally got my letter to confirm my Aspergers Syndrome ! only took 10 weeks !

JustWilliam, you should present your case to your GP and directly ask for a Autistic Assessment.

The problem with Aspergers if a lot of the sufferers don't feel able to directly ask for things and often get passed around, knowing deep inside what they want but talking ages to ask for it, so my advice is just go for it.

Make an appointment, talk to your GP and say why you believe you have Aspergers.

Good luck.