Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Advocate

Hi I would appreciate opinions on having an advocate for your child/young person? I understand that an 'advocate' is someone who can speak on behalf of the young person if they are unable to do so for themselves. I was reading on the internet last night that this service is free, is this correct? Also, anyone can apply for an advocacy on their behalf?

I am only asking in case I should feel such a person is needed to speak on Glen's behalf now or in the future.

Look forward to your thoughts and experiences on this, thank you.

Hi Jeanne

I was an advocate for an independent advocacy service for 2 years. At the time, the service provided advocacy support for adults with either mental health difficulties or learning difficulties. I had a specific remit to work with older people with dementia or family members of those with dementia. The service was free as the local health authority and local council had the duty to ensure that an independent service was available to those who needed to access it under Scots Law and were under an obligation to provide funds to this end to our service with match funding provided by the Scottish Government (I believe).

Those who used our service either self-referred or were referred by carers, social workers, housing officers or doctors etc. As we provided short-term advocacy, the purpose of which was to help a person with a particular problem or issue, each referral was discussed fully with the team to decide who was best to work with each client. I say short-term but quite often a person could stay on the books for a prolonged period of time depending on the difficulties they were having and if while we were working with a person other issues cropped up.

As you say, the purpose of advocacy is to speak on behalf of the person being advocated for. Irrespective of whether or not the person has capacity, the advocate speaks to various professionals on behalf of the person as if they are that person. There were times in the course of doing my job when I was questioned as to whether or not I understood that the person was deemed as incapable. I had to explain quite often to professionals that I was the person's 'voice' and was saying what they wanted to say. For example, my client could say that they wanted to live in their own home and couldn't understand why they had been brought into hospital as they were capable of looking after themselves at home so I spoke to all those involved in their care (including family) putting forward the person's belief that they were safe at home and finding out if it would be possible for the person to return there. If, after I had done this it was clear that every effort had been made to allow the person to live safely at home or there were clear reasons that the person would be unsafe to remain at home then I had to ensure that their views were still taken into account to gain an outcome as close to what the person would want or simply that every procedure was followed properly with regard to their care.

There is another form of advocacy called 'citizen advocacy'. This is a more long term partnership more akin to a befriender but with the same premise of working alongside someone to ensure their voice is heard. It means that the person can get to know the person in a more indepth way but obviously calls for the advocate to be very loyal and trustworthy. I'm not sure how widespread citizen advocacy is and it's codes of practice can be quite different to independent advocacy.

It can be very helpful to have an advocate but it has to be realised that the person does not always get the outcome they want and sometimes even getting a compromise solution can be take a lengthy commitment.

I hope this helps

Lynda :)

Hi Lynda thank you so much it has really helped me to understand more of what an 'advocate' does. My neice (by marriage) is an advocate but lives in a different county to me and has offered to be Glen's advocate if I feel he would benefit from this. In your opinion do you think it is a good idea to have a family member as an advocate and do you think it would be allowed because she doesn't live in the same county as me?

Hi Jeanne - I've pm'd you :)

As Glen seems fairly settled in Coventry in the care home since May 2011, and moving back to Essex next year could be such a distressing thing for him. I have contacted an advocacy service in Coventry. I had a email from the Autism Senior Advocate this morning saying that she would be happy to be Glen's advocate and if I want to pursue this further she will send me a referral form. I was quite impressed to find an actual autism advocate. I am now thinking of filling in the form and see if this lady can help Glen, speak on his behalf in his best interests. What do you think guys should I go for it? As much as it would be nice to have Glen back in Essex next year as he would be nearer to us it would be a major upset for him to be moved of that I'm sure. He's used to the people and the area now. I would hate for him to be distressed due to moving. He's been through so much already in his life.

Just been told an advocate is coming to our home to speak to our son. It was requested because there was no agreed decision-making direction except from the parents (US), we know what our son needs and the 'system' seems to be at odds with each other and suggesting alternatives they themselves don't mutually agree with. Do advocates have any legal status ? i.e. can they overrule parents or professionals to suggest a different alternative would best suit ? Who are advocates ultimately responsible to ? Are they simply advisers to parents and the system ? with no standing otherwise ? I was told no professionals involved have to take any notice what an advocate suggests ? My son has poor communication and cannot excersize choices at this time, I am puzzled as to what an advocate can add to that, other than hopefully telling the current professionals to butt out and let the parents get on with it, and to support what they think is best. The advocate seems to have been approved not just because of the child involved, but because the system are at loggerheads and ignoring the parental choices and each other. One suspects the prime reason is because the SS/transition people prefer one residential option ,and the Consultant, who rejected the transition suggestion as unsuitable. At the same time parents aer going ahead to get further education sorted out which could possibly mean neither the transition option nor the medical one would be viable. Obviously the parents wants the best they can get, ergo it costs more,maybe here is the real issue.

Hi there, how is your doing overall? How is his behaviour these days? Glen hasn't got an advocate anymore since his move to the colchester care home in May, to be honest he doesn't need one now, he is doing so well where is and we as his parents and his siblings visit him very regularly now he is living so local to us.

An advocate can speak on behalf of the child/young person, Glen's advocate did when Glen was at his last care home in Coventry. An advocate has no legal status though, they really are as you said, just advisors. However I would advise you accept the advocate because if you need them to be 'on your side' so to speak then they will, this could come in useful at some point. Does your son communicate through makaton or pecs something like that? can he make choices in that way? If so then the advocate can sit with him and go through one of these communication aids and can hopefully learn from your son what choices he would like.

Could I just ask how has your son been getting on with schooling? as you mentioned about further education, I know this wasn't the right thing for Glen as he did not get on at all at School it was too distressing for him, his anxiety levels were extremely high. It was the best thing for Glen when any form of education ended. He is a very happy, much less anxious young man now. All our children are different of course and your son might be absolutely fine with education. I just thought I would ask.