nomad

link to French documentary ( english subtitles) about an autism conisdered as psychosis by top French scientists

I have heard about this before on an aspie group on an American other interest forum, there within some of these 'tortures' were described and the Yanks went nuts about it as the sad fact is, it is happening and the censorship is a means to keep it hidden from public scrutiny and disapproval.

But what will powerful people do to protect their own interests and with this, proving that autism is psychosis, undoubtedly another confession extracted via torture.

Edited by Sa Skimrande

My ex is French, she was disgraced when I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and left me a week after, she claimed I had a disease that needed to be cured and that I wasn't normal, so yes I know first hand how the French see Autism and it's pretty shocking and old fashioned.

The problem there is people don't get help with it because they are afraid of what will happen to them when they are diagnosed with Autism so they end up just hiding away and enter a World of depression, drug, alcohol abuse and all the problems those things bring.

What a disgusting short sighted view for your ex to have about your diagnosis. I hope you have managed to move on

since she left you at the same time I would understand if you hadn't.

I'm a stronger person and proud of my autism, I'm stronger everyday without her and my autism is what has made me who I am, so thank you for your kind words.

It's seen as a shameful thing in France to be autistic, you would never think a country in the EU would have such views, maybe some Medical professionals who are Autistic should round up some NT and torture them for good measure (Sarcastic joke :P )

Well done for standing up for what you believe in, it takes guts.

Hi,

I live in France - my son was diagnosed with AS earlier this year. I agree they are backward with regards to autism, and I got a bit mad when the psychiatrist told me, "yes he does have this 'maladie'", which means illness - she said they consider it a mental illness. And they do seem to have a pre-occupation with the pregnancy and birth of the child - like it is the mother's fault.

But on the plus side, we have found an Aspergers group in our region, which meets once a month - it has parents of kids, and AS adults. I have found this really useful to know we are not alone, and to find out what services could be available. A lot of the teenagers come to the meetings too, and my friend's son finds it very re-assuring to talk to others with similar problems. Alas, my son has refused to come with me so far.

Some people from the association also visit schools and do a puppet show about autism, promoting it as a different way, not an illness to try to change ideas.

So, they aren't totally bad here, and some people are trying to change things. It is just very slow.

Diane

Good on you Dijac for fighting back with your group. If your association has a website i would love to have a look.

There is also a holiday company that helps autistics to have fun in France. If i find it i will post here.

"Je ne comprend pas c'est attitudee de government" (excuse my broken French, it is meant to say

i dont understand the attitude of your government.