Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Possible hyper active 4yr old?

My 4 yr old son has so much energy, Hes non stop on the go all day every day and still not tired until late at night, tonight he went to sleep at 11pm... thats better than other nights recently. Before bed tonight he was running up and down and up and down the living room flailing his arms around, making clicking and high pitched Ooooo noises and speaking in a made up language. He was stopping now and again to spin in circles or sit on the floor and "dig" with his hands (not sure what else to call it). Also he was throwing some toys around when he stopped running. Not sure where all this crazy energy comes from... Just wish I could have some of it myself ;)

Hes exhausting just to watch! Anyone else have a child like this? I dont have any friends with kids like him so feel a bit alone!

Hi. Yes i've got a grandson who's like that. From the minute he gets up to the minute he goes down, everything is at 90 mph. Dinner time is a nightmare and shopping even worse. Never really had a prob with him going to sleep though. Maybe because we had a routine.. bath,teeth, milk, story and then sleep. Usually within 15mins after his story he was out like a lobby light. Come 6am it was back to rush hour again though.

He has recently been diagnosed with aspects of ADHD, so as advised above think you should be looking at this.

I know a couple of people with children on the spectrum who are like this. A lot of people use melatonin as a sleep aid (for the children, not themselves! :)), it's available through GP prescription only, I think. Routines definitely seem to help, or at least, it seems to get worse if any trauma / disruption occurs. :s

I would agree with RR about the possibility that the move has had some kind of effect on your wee lad and this may be his way of coping or coming to terms with all the changes.

Also, something that never seems to be mentioned is that the more tired a child is, the more 'active' they can become. I really don't know why this is but it is similar to when babies don't get the naps they require, it is harder often to get them to go down to sleep. It might be worth looking up information about sleep and how a lack of it can affect children. I think at the age of 4, children still need between 10 - 12 hrs sleep at night for optimum brain function.

Hope things improve soon.

:)

I've come across this website and you might think it's worth a read...

www.parentingscience.com Article is called 'Signs of sleep deprivation in children and adults'. It talks about sleep deprivation mimicking the signs of ADHD.

Hes still having sleep problems, but we have been on holiday for 4 nights which wont be helping him to settle in at the new house. I think its down to moving that his sleep is so much worse. He wants to be near me or his dad all the time too which is odd, hes never had seperation anxiety like most kids get untill now. We did ask the doctor about medication but he said no. Also have mentioned to the paed a few times that i think hes Hyper active ADHD maybe but got told it was his age... Thanx for comments :)

Hes still awake now, in his room but not happy, occasonal crying and calling out for us :( trying to get him to stay up there but he wants to sleep next to me or his dad

Dont know weather to give in or not. With the others i wouldnt, but hes not like my other 3 so its hard to know whats best! wont let him get to worked up though, not fair on him

Edited by Noskcaj86

My 7 year old autistic son used to be incredibly active. In fact, as a newborn he only slept for an hour a day. But now I worry that he isn't active enough. If your son has an ASD, his levels of activity may be a phase related to that, as with our son. If so, he may well calm down as he gets older. Make sure that any professionals involved with you know how things are, though, and get what support you can, because it is exhausting and you have the rest of the family to look after, too.