Sign in to follow this  
smileyK

Why do I feel the need???!!

It's puzzling and partly curious why now waking early to leave for gym or swim how have bundles of energy but seem have the need to hit the high buzz then straight after " flop with crash" have need to understand further and the wave matches with rapid sudden mood changes also??? As well as feeling like I'm on constant roller coasted big drops and like coil sPring endlessly waiting to fall off! Feel have non stop periods of energy filled with complete drain tiredness feel so restless body & mind like can't slow Down the rate/ speed I'm going at! ?

I used to be like this, never found a way to effectively manage it though, and these days I'm just constantly tired, whatever I do! Sorry I can't help, but wanted to reply anyway :)

You're describing a cyclical mood disorder, the most obvious one being Bi-Polar. I would suggest in the first instance you read the following link.

http://www.autism.or...r-syndrome.aspx

I have Bi-polar and I feel it affects me more than AS does, currently in a very low mood. Very tired but no amount of sleep helps, I am seseptable to seasonal canges and the drawing in nights is not helping. I'm not going to tell you to go to your GP and discuss your moods because that would be hypocritical of me. I don't go, my wife pleads with me to go sometimes but when you are in a low one nothing matters, it's all to much effort. Then I come out of it and hit a high so I don't go again because everything is great.

When I worked for others, this would be the time I would not go to work, cold, virus, migraine, etc. Whatever I could get away with, as long as I did not tell them the real reason. Telling them you feel like topping yourself is not something you wish to share with your employer. Working from home is easier for me, I just do what I can until the feelings subside. The highs are fast and furiuos, and enjoyable although I seem to have memory loss when in an extreme high, the psychologist said something about me not being able to encode a new memory because of the high speed at which I am operating. This causes all kinds of issues, I used to argue with people when they said they had told me something I could not recal, I now accept that maybe they have told me.

I hope you can go to your doctor for help but I understand it's not that simple, otherwise I would go to.....

Hmm, I was assessed twice for bipolar disorder a few years ago but was told that my "highs" weren't extreme enough or long-enough lasting to warrant bipolar disorder, only mood swings. That was pre-diagnosis though, and I was already jacked up on strong anti-depressants which were probably messing up my bodily chemistry anyway. Ho hum. I'm drug free now :)

i may bring it up when have appointment with n.a.s pyschologist next monday afternoon about sudden mood swings/changes from high to low vice besa! See what she saya suggests it could be happening so confusing!

I know, it is frustrating to not know what's going on in your own body and brain :( I think that as Aspies we do tend to respond more strongly to things than maybe an NT person would, so we are probably more prone to mood swings, because things affect us more. I'm not a doctor though, I think it's a great idea to talk to your NAS lady about it. Best of luck with it :)

Raydon beat me to the hypoglycemia suggestion. Try eating a banana or drinking some lucozade after your exercise and see if this reduces the impact of the low. Even if you're not actually officially hypoglycemic during these times, if your body naturally sits at the higher end of normal for your blood sugars and the exercise drops those levels to the low end of normal you are still experiencing a relatively sudden change and your body reacts by causing you to want to do all you can to conserve energy.

i do feel better after eating anytthing but especially fruit with natural occuring sugar already in it seems to make me more alert switched on! Feel less wobbly shaky dizzy!

Does sound like a hypo to me in that case. Wobbly, shaky, dizzy is exactly how a hypo starts for me including a general feeling of "vagueness" as it starts to hit. Do try the fruit/lucozade in that case for a while, experiment with what works quickest and best for you and maybe even if you eat the banana or whatever as you are getting changed back to street clothes it may fend the feeling off altogether. Also follow up the fast acting engery with something a little slower release like a digestive biscuit so you don't just delay the crash until a little later.

Edited by dekra