fuggles

is there a higher correlation with aspergers/wearing glasses

I am short sighted, think I get it off my dad as he's quite bad. But I can function in the house without my glasses ok, I just wear them when I'm out and about and driving.

I had a bad squint as a child, now as an adult I have learnt to control it but I am still short sighted in 1 eye so I wear a contact lens in 1 eye only. The other eye has a tiny tiny prescription so my glasses I have for spare do get a mild correction but for lenses there is not enough to bother with. My right eye is good enough to compensate for the bad left eye and I can go without glasses/lenses but I tend to get headaches if I go without for more than a few days at a time. My son recently had his pre-school eye exam and has very good vision. That said, I believe I have ASD but have no official DX and son's DX isn't ASD at all although Dr now agrees that maybe he is on spectrum after all but if he is it won't be Aspergers as his speech and language is badly effected.

Edited by dekra

My son also had a very bad squint as a toddler and was told he needed to wear prescription glasses from being a year old as the sight in his left eye was pretty bad...wasn't easy getting a toddler to wear glasses:)... but than 3/4 of our family are spec wearers so I don't really think its too much to do with Aspergers...

I think Karmadestiny has a point, eye problems are so common that it would be very difficult to see a clear correlation between them and ASD,

as there are visual effects ,perceptual and physical,like light sensitivity then the differences in the eye might be more to do with contrast/iris/colour areas, The eyes are used for diagnosis of many illnessness,as well as sight problems.

I've found my tinted specs wonderfull on my anxiety,i'm long sighted.