Sign in to follow this  
Noskcaj86

Starting full time school and still needing to wear nappies.

We spoke to Jacks headteacher before he started school about him still needing to be in nappies, she reasured us it wouldnt be a problem and no more questions were asked until he started coming home from school dirty in his first week :( So obviously i got very angry and complained to the school. They said there had obviously been a misunderstanding and they were under the impression Jack could change his own nappy!!! If he was capable if doing that then i very much doubt he would still need to be in nappies at all, and why werent moredetails asked about him cleaning himself at the meeting we had before he started.

Anyway the school advised me not to contact the council about it... But i ignored them and contacted the council immediatly, spoke to a lovely lady in special educatonal needs dept, who promptly made a visit to the school, carried out a risk assesment and gave my son permission to have his nappies changed properly in the disabled toilet, along with suggesting a reward chart for every time he used the toilet.

It was such a simple thing to sort out, it took 1 phone call. If only the head teacher had informed me that i would need to phone them before he started....none of this would have happened!

Just glad its sorted and he doesnt have to sit in a dirty nappy all day, that is unhygenic and above all unfair and abusive.

Is someone going to help him change them?

And although reward cards have their place, if he has not yet learnt to use the toilet, and does not have the skills to change himself, then a reward card is pointless - unless it is given when he is able to tell that specific staff member that he needs changing. AND what 'reward' does the 'reward card' bring?

Also does he have a Statement, and is this need detailed in part 2, with the provision to meet that need detailed in part 3?

Edited by Sally44

Yes they are going to change him, we have it in writing :) and he now has access to the disabled toilet where his nappys, change of clothes, towel incase they need to shower him, trainer toilet seat and wipes are kept. Hes been potty training for a year now so he does understand about using the toilet, but his body doesnt give him enough warning... So whenever he does use the toilet he will get a sticker on the chart. It will encourage him and make him feel good about himself which is the main thing. Im happy with the outcome

My son also has problems understanding internal body sensations. He has told me that when he needs the toilet he has no idea if he needs a wee or a poo. And sometimes he gets very little warning, especially if he has been focused on something else.

What I wanted to say is that these difficulties are usually part of a wider Sensory Processing Disorder, which requires an OT to assess and deliver a suitable programme. However you will only get that if it is detailed on the Statement because even the NHS does not provide a service for children with SPD or even Dyspraxia. And you need a suitably qualified OT to deliver the programme, not a TA.

So you need to think about that and how you can get it into his Statement.

My son needing 1:1 direct sensory integration therapy from a suitably qualified OT was just one of many issues that enabled us to secure an independent placement, and my son moved to this school in year 5 because the LA/school simply could not meet his needs in his mainstream school.

At 26 I to still need to wear nappies as I also have Sensory issues due to Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. It can be uncomfortable and even embarising at times, but after a life time accidents, you get use to having to wear nappies. Eventualy you learn to accept it as a normal part of life, you learn to hide them and ignore them. I hope your son will eventualy get out of nappies, but if thats not possable, he will addapt to wearing them and eventualy it wont be any more of a problem than looking for toothpaste with floride in it to protect the teath, it will just be a diffrent kind of protection.