Sign in to follow this  
In Exile

Windows 8

Is anyone else using Windows 8? I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and now I wish I didn't. I thought it would just be another Windows update but it's completely different and I neither like it nor understand it!

Windows 8 is supposed to be completely different from windows 7, I'm happy with windows 7 for now with my older laptop still running Vista.

Yes, it's completely different. I wish I had taken the time to understand that before loading it onto my laptop. It is totally NOT user-friendly for laptop or PC users. It seems to be designed with tablets in mind so for computers that don't have touch screens, it's really, really clunky. I'm going to call the Dell support people on Monday to figure out how to get Windows 7 back.

There is a way to disable the Metro UI in Windows 8 but it involves using the registry editor. You can google for Disable Metro UI or here is a link for instructions, http://techmell.com/...o-ui-windows-8/

By a combination of getting used to it and organizing the Metro interface, I've pretty much tamed it now. The key is to place shortcuts either on the Metro interface or the desktop (or both) to help overcome the absence of the Start menu. So, I've added a folder icon on my desktop to take me straight to all my files, plus a shortcut to the Control Panel. I feel like I've regained control of my laptop now!