Mannify

Good music for masking snoring?

We have a house guest who snores loudly. The only way I could sleep last night was to have Lifegoeson by Noah and the Whale playing on repeat all night, literally. The tempo has to be fast to mask the snoring well. Lifegoeson was ok, but it's not very restful. I know quick tempo and restful in one song is a bit of an ask, but any ideas? I'm trying Deacon Blue's Twist and Shout tonight.

I find elbow works well, could be difficult with a house guest though. Pig Destroyer? Then no one will be sleeping, otherwise Riders on the Storm through a pair of noise cancelling headphones is worth a try.

Edited by raydon

Thanks, Raydon. The Deacon Blue was great, actually. So, that's what I think I'll use, but we have some Elbow, so I might use that if I need a change. I'm really impressed with the iPad for how little charge it uses playing music all night. :)

Why not actually deal with the problem itself and be rude by telling the house guest their snoring is an annoyance in which case embarrassed they may do something about it as there are many methods of stopping snoring. I know, because my snoring was once described as the sound an old tractor makes when starting with a weak battery, being a mechanic, I was embarrassed. I have at times successfully stopped snoring through investigating what actually happens to cause the action and found alcohol and smoking makes it more likely as does dry air found in many houses with central heating where most don't think of the humidity we need to function properly. But of products, expensive but it lasts a month ; 'Snor Eze ' works in that squirting an aromatic oil down the back of the throat before bed actually stops the problem and one sleeps better. Another method is to sew tennis balls to the back of the pyjama top.

:lol: Politics are such that such is not an option, Sa Skimrande. I am a bit of a snoring Nazi, though. My husband got his epiglottis removed in a bid to stop snoring, but he still snores. If I try to sleep in another room, but I can still hear him even just slightly I storm back in a rage and jab him furiously to make him turn over. I'm such a passive person generally, but snoring turns me into a heinous witch :devil: . Unfortunately, in this current instance I must remain as peaceable as possible :wallbash: .

I edited in a wallbash thingy. It seemed appropriate.

Edited by Mannify

Headphones or earphones might be an idea? The scrambled noises in that track should assist in covering snoring cuz it annoys the nerves at the same sort of level of sound.

You could always find something where the snoring compliments the music in a natural way :P

The scrambled noises in that track should assist in covering snoring cuz it annoys the nerves at the same sort of level of sound.

We shall see.

Headphones or earphones might be an idea?

And how do earphones and sleep mix? I'm having to hug an iPad as it is :lol:

You could always find something where the snoring compliments the music in a natural way

So I'd have to spend time timing the intervals, and then trawling the internet for a matching song, and then make sure I time the start of it to correspond? Yeah, that sounds like a restful night :lol:

Bless ya, you're trying to help, aren't you? :lol:

We shall see.

And how do earphones and sleep mix? I'm having to hug an iPad as it is :lol:

So I'd have to spend time timing the intervals, and then trawling the internet for a matching song, and then make sure I time the start of it to correspond? Yeah, that sounds like a restful night :lol:

Bless ya, you're trying to help, aren't you? :lol:

1. Did you "see"

2. Er... you put one in and dangle the wire off the side of the bed so that you don't strangle yourself in your sleep

3. You could make a lot of money helping the sleep deprived

4. I can be very trying :lol:

I believe Rolls Royce developed a system on some of their cars where they took the noise of the engine measuring its frequency and amplitude and they played an inverted sound wave through the speakers in the car in effect cancelling out the sound waves emmited from the engine making it appear silent.

I have always wondered if the same concept could be applied to snoring and whether the costs involved in product development would be prohibative in respect to a comercial bedside product.

So for research purposes how much would you pay for a product which cancells out the effects of snoring in the room, just trying to get a bit a background reaerch prior to my Dragon's Den moment of fame, or are you all saying "sorry I'm out!"

I'd pay up to 30 quid for something cuz snoring drives me insane - but I'd pay a bit more if the solution was 95% effective, maybe peak it at 50 quid.

That way instead of making snorers feel like shite they could snore away (assuming they snore naturally and there isn't some underlying medical condition) and everyone else could sleep peacefully regardless of the excessive noise.

Such a solution has potential for other areas of noise too, traffic, places with load machinery, airports, race tracks, death metal concerts - especially if a portable in ear, wire free device were invented, where the frequency and amplitude could be adjusted, the possibilities are quite broad even with my tired morning mind :lol:

Then again there's always ear plugs :devil:

1. Did you "see"

2. Er... you put one in and dangle the wire off the side of the bed so that you don't strangle yourself in your sleep

3. You could make a lot of money helping the sleep deprived

4. I can be very trying :lol:

1. Nah, not really, coz the guest barely slept (shame, that :devil: ), and so didn't snore much. On low, I did find it vaguely comforting, though :lol:

2. Like I say, it might come between me and the cuddly iPad.

3. Well, I suppose if there's a humanitarian issue here...

4. No comment

So for research purposes how much would you pay for a product which cancells out the effects of snoring in the room, just trying to get a bit a background reaerch prior to my Dragon's Den moment of fame, or are you all saying "sorry I'm out!"

Lancslad, if you could do that, I would deify you. There would be no end to my adoration. Whatever was mine you could have. I would be forever in your debt.

Nooooo! The iPad has frozen - it has been all day. Lancslad, please hurry up with your invention.

You'd have been doubly screwed if his invention used an ipad :lol:

I believe Rolls Royce developed a system on some of their cars where they took the noise of the engine measuring its frequency and amplitude and they played an inverted sound wave through the speakers in the car in effect cancelling out the sound waves emmited from the engine making it appear silent.

I have always wondered if the same concept could be applied to snoring and whether the costs involved in product development would be prohibative in respect to a comercial bedside product.

I believe there was also some experimentation into that regards sirens on emergency vehicles in that those to the side of the siren don't need to now of the urgency only those in front. It was also we were told at one time some emergency vehicles had such a system in place where I can attest, it didn't work as at night emergency vehicles that used to scream past my house the sirens always woke us up

I believe there was also some experimentation into that regards sirens on emergency vehicles in that those to the side of the siren don't need to now of the urgency only those in front. It was also we were told at one time some emergency vehicles had such a system in place where I can attest, it didn't work as at night emergency vehicles that used to scream past my house the sirens always woke us up

That would have been so cool if it had worked, but how do you restrict sound through unrestricted space?

In this Twilight - Nine Inch Nails

Played on a loop it makes a seamless transition, whereas with many songs it's the intro and fade-out which let it down.

What I really hate is when you think it's stopped. You even wait for a while to be sure, and you gain in confidence, and then a single snore crashes in, and you just know more will follow it. It's crushing.

No, "4 whatever" aint the same as 3 cuz as time progresses and tiredness increases and then the worrying about getting to sleep grows too because rest is good, but then there's snoring or whatever - and as 5 approaches it can be truly panic worthy at times unless you hit a zen like moment of calm and accept getting no sleep.

I think there's a word for this kinda stuff - but it escapes me for some reason :lol:

Hmmm, wasn't the best night. It's all about play-offs - if the guest has a particularly bad back he doesn't sleep but I do; so I should be glad, I guess, that last night his back wasn't so bad. Yeah, that's making me feel loads better. Grumpy cow, ain't I?

My sister's also staying on Friday and Saturday night and will have to share a room with me. Since I cannot really inflict NIN on her all night, and she also makes mouthing noises, I guess it's best to just resign myself now to not sleeping those two nights, eh?