Sign in to follow this  
Cariad

Residential Schools

Hi, I haven't been on here in a while but was wondering if anyone could help. My son was due to go to a placement ten miles from here and have the residential side also. He has been put into wrong schools where he's had terrible experiences which involved me removing him both times. This time the school he should have been in became an option (5th time lucky).

At the last minute they dropped the residential part for another child (emergency local boy), they then put a four week trial basis on my son which could end any time. This was very distressing as my son is coming up to 17 years old and would leave at 19. We had an emergency meeting with social services etc and the funding is there for a residential school but it would be out of county and could be miles away. It's been put out to tender quickly as my son has been out of school for over a month and is becoming more distressed and controlling every aspect of his surroundings and having loads of meltdowns.

Has anyone been through this and can say what residential schools which are worth looking at? My son is middle functioning ASD fully verbal, ADHD,Tourette's, SID, can have Attaxia moments. This is the last chance to get him up to par as he's never had the right input (placed in an EBD school and placed in an ASD school who put him in a low functioning class which isolated him with no education going on).

He's very bright, craves friends, needs stability, help with washing etc which he's previous schools have never met these needs.

Are you saying that the school your son was supposed to attend no longer has any residential places available and so you have to look elsewhere?

If residential was agreed as being needed, they cannot then drop it and replace it with a 4 week trial. Have you spoken with IPSEA about this. I know it is different when Social Services are funding the residential side via social care, however the funding of the Statement still remains with the Local Authority. "Needs" remain constant. If funding availability changes that is not your fault and does not mean your child suddenly does not need what was previously agreed.

Would a day placement at this school be unworkable? Have you spoken with them about whether they have any other residential places available, and if not, do residential placements become available ie. could he go onto a waiting list. Or could he stay over for some nights. I would definately speak with the school so that you know what you are being told is a true picture.

I know how long it took for you to find this school.

I could do a day placement but we need the full package, it's highly unlikely a place as a resident would become available. I'm not prepared to do a four week "trial" where we'd be left with nothing as it would be unfair to him and he's already showing signs of stress and high anxiety (controlling people and setting rules and not sleeping). I do trust the social worker and the school have done this in the past to people I know, my confidence in this place is non existent. I need a placement where they don't let him down in the short time he has left until he reaches 19.

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened, it is totally unfair on you and your son. My son is in an out of county residential placement, he's been there since May last year, it will probably end in July next year when his education finishes and then he will more than likely come back to Essex if a suitable residential placement can be found. Is it worth looking into out of county placements it could be what he needs, so don't rule them out. I know it's not ideal being a long way from home but if you did find somewhere suitable he will be brought home for visits as is my son. Anyway, have a think about it, I wish you well.

Thank you for your comments I do appreciate it also the PM's.. Had a huge MDT meeting yesterday with fifteen experts from all areas.. Something threw me, I was told that if my 16 year old says he wants to come home he can even if he's at a residential school hundreds of miles away. How is that possible? He's not severe can make simple choices but not life changing ones due to his LD ASD etc. Is this right?

I wouldn't have thought at 16 your son would be permitted to come home if he requested to. I think as he's still a minor you as his parent has the final say. I think it would be different if he was over 18 and then is classed as an adult, unless of course you have 'power of attorney' over your son as I have. It would be good to get other people's opinions in case I an incorrect in what I've said.

Hi Jeanne, i was led to believe that you could only obtain 'power of attorney' if the person became disabled after an illness or accident and that they had to sign their affairs over to you. I was told that if wasnt for someone born with autism or a disability ( as they had always been disabled). Is this wrong and if so, did you have to go to court to get it? Also is it the same as guardianship? Thanks

Hi Lisa, I was advised to get 'Power Of Attorney' over all Glen's affairs especially as he is in a care home. You can get POA over your child's affairs no matter what their disability is and it doesn't matter when they became disabled or were born with a disability. This is the best thing I have ever done. I would advise you, even though your son lives at home with you, to do the same. The POA gives me the power to make decisions on Glen's behalf. I'm not sure about guardianship, I thought that was when someone became someone's guardian? instead of a parent? Take care Lisa

Hi Lisa, I was given details from Glen's social worker, I then went on line and applied for POA forms to fill in (just google POA + forms to fill in) and I was sent them within a couple of weeks. I will warn you there are a lot of forms to fill it took me ages. There are 2 lots of forms, one is POA for care and the other is POA for finance. You need to apply for both, then you have POA over all your son's affairs. Let me know how you get on if you decide to go ahead with it.