Piers

Attempting to get a diagnosis (UK)

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old male and I am pretty sure I have Asperger's. I found it hard to fit in at school and have never enjoyed social occasions. Obviously I know these are two of the most common things people see but there is a lot more. I have been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression, OCD and Cluster B Personality Traits most similar to BPD.

My psychiatrist also thinks Aspergers is very likely as 14 medications and 2 years of weekly therapy haven't done anything, as well as other things. She asked me to have a look online at reputible sources (she provided a list) and to see what I think about it. I took the AQ Test everyday over the period of a week to make sure the psychiatric conditions didn't have any effect on the results, the lowest score I managed on that test was 41 and the highest of 43.

I also took the Rdos Aspie Quiz. Whilst I know neither of those are strictly professional tests, I do find it interesting. I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time and found everyone to be very knowledgeable and friendly so thought I would join to say hello and write the above.

Here is the chart provided by the Rdos test.

CQjTz.jpg

If your psychiatrist supports you and you think that the diagnosis will have a positive effect on your life then go for it. Personally, I think that this online test is a good gauge - I think the questions are worded well and are completely relevant - but it doesn't form part of an official 'test'. Remember, there's unlikely to be much more in the way of support or treatment available to you if you were to receive an official diagnosis.....

Thank you for the reply Lyndalou, they have told me that there would be a different way of approaching CBT and general Psychotherapy for someone who has the condition which is the main reason they are keen. But at the same time I do understand what you are saying, appreciate the reply.

Hi

Really hope you can get a diagnosis soon and excellent you have a gem of a psychiatrist.

Welcome to you Piers...good luck with the diagnosis...were can this test be found?

Hello!

From what you've said it sounds like it might be a good idea to try and get a diagnosis, given that they can tailor your treatments / support around it if you find you have a diagnosis.

Good luck!!

Hi

Really hope you can get a diagnosis soon and excellent you have a gem of a psychiatrist.

Thank you, she seems quite sensible which is a lot more than many psychiatrists.

Welcome to you Piers...good luck with the diagnosis...were can this test be found?

The Rdos quiz/test can be found here, it's not great but does produce a chart and a PDF with a detailed explanation of your results

The AQ Test can be found here. This one was created by a psychologist at the Cambridge Autism Research Centre, so it's more accurate.

Hello!

From what you've said it sounds like it might be a good idea to try and get a diagnosis, given that they can tailor your treatments / support around it if you find you have a diagnosis.

Good luck!!

I had a 2 hour chat with them about it yesterday and they are getting an assessment for diagnosis planned.

Hello,

I'm a 25 year old male and I am pretty sure I have Asperger's. I found it hard to fit in at school and have never enjoyed social occasions. Obviously I know these are two of the most common things people see but there is a lot more. I have been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression, OCD and Cluster B Personality Traits most similar to BPD.

My psychiatrist also thinks Aspergers is very likely as 14 medications and 2 years of weekly therapy haven't done anything, as well as other things. She asked me to have a look online at reputible sources (she provided a list) and to see what I think about it. I took the AQ Test everyday over the period of a week to make sure the psychiatric conditions didn't have any effect on the results, the lowest score I managed on that test was 41 and the highest of 43.

I also took the Rdos Aspie Quiz. Whilst I know neither of those are strictly professional tests, I do find it interesting. I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time and found everyone to be very knowledgeable and friendly so thought I would join to say hello and write the above.

Here is the chart provided by the Rdos test.

CQjTz.jpg

That pattern is almost identical to mine! I scored 160 of 200 :)

p.s. Good Luck with diagnosis, would love to hear how you get on

Edited by Aspergirl

If you have researched it and think you have it, and your psychiatrist thinks you have it, then you probably do - good luck with your diagnosis!